4/20 on the Grand River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Apr 20, 2007.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Had a decent afternoon on the river. Weather was great and the channel cats were cooperative. We landed 12 of 16 fish with some real nice ones in the bunch. Our 3 biggest fish were 10,12,and 15lbs. Action was fast from about 3:30-5:30 then it shut down completely until 7:30. Then it was on again. All fish came on cut bait. Water is still pretty high in the Grand. Fish are holding out of the current behind cover. Alot of my favorite spots are not fishable yet. If our weather stays steady next week should be awesome. Another beatiful sunset on the river wrapped up a good outing.

A few pics from today.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great shots and thanx for sharein.

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    dude thems some nice cats, what river do you fish? thanks for the pics

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Those are some great photos! All three are better than my personal best. IMO
    those are some major league channels. I'm sure this week-end will be great on the river.
    Tony, have you been out chasing those kittys yet?
    Sparky

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I fish the Grand River in West Michigan. It flows East to West from about the middle of the state until it empties into Lake Michigan. We get an awesome run of pre spawn channel cats every Spring that average about 6 lbs. The biggest top out around 20lbs. Some nice flatheads present here too. Have'nt seen one yet this year but it won't be long.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Wow! Those are some nice lookin channels you caught yourself there! Nice work!:cool2:

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Dan Dan the catfish man those are some nice cats! That is the way to start the year off!!

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Dan- looks like that was time well spent! Nice pics, too.
    Sparky- I was out once with CWI47 (John), just long enough to remind me how much I love the river, but we had a few "issues" with the boat.
    Now the pickup hose in my gas tanks is fixed, my throttle linkage is repaired, and I'm putting a new prop on today. Hopefully today or tommorrow I'll actually get on the river, after the yard work is done...

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I can relate to that yard work. My wife and I have been outside since 8:00am. Hopefully she will want to stop in time for the Wings game. I'd like to get out sooner than later. Of course Monday is Turkey day where I come from.
    Good Luck!
    Sparky

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Wings? You mean my Pistons, right? LOL...

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    No, I mean "MY WINGS". And by the way the won yesterday. So It's 3 to 2, advantage Wings. They play again today.
    Sparky

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Well, the Pistons are up 1-0 in their playoff series in the Greatest Game On Earth. Do the "Wings play some kind of flying game or something? LOLOLOLOLLOLOL...
    (No really, GO PISTONS! and GO REDWINGS!)

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Ok, Ok, you got me! LOL But, last night the Wings did fly into the second round of the play offs. Tony you should get ahold of my Son Mike. For some reason he loves the Pistons......... and the Wings, and football and soccer, and baseball and volley ball,and softball. I guess it goes with the territory, being he is the Sports Editor for a paper. But, he truely does love your Pistons.
    Sparky

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Go Wings! I hope they go all the way!
    Hey, can your son get me some good seats for a playoff game?
    I love watching games at the Palace, it's a great place to visit.
    The Pistons are a really fun team to watch because you never know who the top scorer will be from one game to the next- that and you never hear about the players using drugs, driving drunk, or beating up their wives...

15. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Needless to say, my son only writes about high school sports. In the past, he has done Free lance work covering the Pistons in the play offs, but he sits at the press table. He does not have access to extra tickets. Nice try though!
    I feel bad, cause two years ago I turned down Pistons tickets, cause I really don't follow basketball. If for some strange reason, I get them offered to me again, I will surely give you a call.
    Sparky

16. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Got a chance to go last night, after midnight it started getting really cool. We only had a couple decent bites, nothing would inhale our big sucker minnows however. We hit a log jam in Ionia near the fairgrounds, and boy is that water still COLD! I can only imagine how lathargic those big flats probably are in this cold of water...

17. big/cat/man

big/cat/man New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I was just wondering if you could help me with a place to start on the grandriver. I live in Leslie, Michigan near the grandriver and was wondering where the nearest good spot was.

Thank you

18. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Welcome aboard Chad! Good to see another Michigander on the site. I don't fish the Grand that much, so I'm a bad guy to ask. There are a few guys on the site from Grand Rapids, who I'm sure will give you a little info.
    Tony is trying to head up an outting sometime around the 18th of May, I think near Ionia. Keep you eye on the site, you'll see some posts.
    I'm sure some of the guys around the Grand will pipe in soon.
    Sparky

19. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hello Chad, Where is Leslie? I fish the Grand from downtown GR to the big lake. I'm guessing you're a ways upstream.

Dan

20. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well, there goes the neighborhood! I guess they'll even let bullhead anglers on here. That's OK Chad, bullheads are kinda like catfish. Welcome aboard anyhow.:big_smile: