4/17 Grand River report

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Apr 17, 2007.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I went out alone tonight with very little bait. The water had gone down about 6-8 inches since Sunday but was still very high. One of my favorite holes was 5 feet deeper than usual. I had no action at the 1st 2 spots I fished and was losing confidence fast when one of my rods doubled over. I was soon doing battle with my 1st channel cat of 07. I was noticing the deep bend in the rod and the strong fight the cat put up and had time to note that the fish I was fighting was putting up every bit as good a battle as any steelhead I had caught this Spring. It turned out to be a really nice female of about 8-10 lbs. I snapped a picture quick and got her back in the water. A little further downstream a flock of turkeys joined me and I got to see some nice strutting toms. A beautiful sunset wrapped up the trip. It feels good to get that 1st cat of the season under terrible conditions. By next week things should be getting hot n heavy.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Beautiful pics. Dan. I know that feeling of getting that first cat of the year. I did the same thing this morning. I'm also looking forward to the end of the week. The weather is suppose to be nice.
    I might even go spear a few suckers Friday night to smoke on Saturday.
    Sparky

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'm looking forward to that nice weather too. Hopefully Monday will be a nice day in the turkey woods. The birds are really doing some strutting around here right now. Suckers have been gone for a few weeks around here. It was an early run this year,same for the steelhead. They came and went the last week of March, 1st week of April. Now I need the chub run to start!:big_smile:

Dan