4 16 point bucks in the back of a pick up truck.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by s_man, Apr 28, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I went hunting with a friend of mine last fall and he showed me a field where these 4 bucks would get together every morning. While he was at work I got up early and set up and killed them all. Its a shame he wont get to kill one himself, but hey I got plenty of meat in the freezer and 4 nice racks on the wall, PLUS you shoulda seen the attention I got hauling them around town. Thanks buddy, I couldn't a done it without ya.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its a shame you dont have more respect for game management than that I would never Kill that many deer even if the law did allow ,Didnt your pa ever teach you about leaving some for seed? I'm sorry for your attitude .

3. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  4. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Making a point about killing a bunch of big fish to show them off, rather than CPR them, aren't ya? It's pretty much the same thing with any species, and I agree with you, and I just hope nobody gets too mad at you before they realize where you were going with your story! You sure got me going hot before I realized!!

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I already got negative rep points for my little twist on a story. I don't hunt deer but I was trying to make a point. Seems like its OK to kill 4 large flatheads but its a no no to kill 4 trophy bucks. Funny how that works.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I get your point, but maybe you should of done it a different way.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If I start to get Vanilla I know its time to die. I feel strongly about CPR, We need to let the larger fish go to SEED or there won't be any big fish for any of us to catch.

8. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    pfff... if any1 seen those deer they would of done the same thing... dont feel bad... i just keep and killed an 88 lb flatty is that a crime?

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OOk That explains why a deer hunting thread is in flattie fishing . sorry bout bein so harsh but i feel the same way ,if I showed a buddy a fishing hole an he went an caught four big fish and didnt release all that he didnt need I would probably whup his @$$ not to mention completely snubbing him from that point on.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip drop some meat off, i will trade you for a bag of fish lol :lol:

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well I know your point was more for fish, but I don't really think its the same. Now 4 deer is too much for me to eat, usually 2 is about right. But who's to say you gotta stop hunting after you get your freezer full? I mean I love to deer hunt and after I got two, sure I'd go back for more I love deer hunting, especially with a bow. Well killing isn't even half the excitement for me but it is the ultimate reason. There are organizations like hunters for the hungry and stuff where you can donate meat to people who need it. Why stop when your freezer is full? I mean to me you would be doing something pretty noble and enjoying every second of it. If the deer population was in trouble, the wildlife and conservation offices would put a limit on the amount of tags... and in many states there are. I believe in Kansas there is a limit of one buck, but you can get as many doe tags as you want (I think). Anyway, my point is that I see what you were trying to illude to, but really it is different because you can keep hunting and donate meat.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just let me know when and were to bring the cornbread!

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man 4 bucks in one day, and all big uns, dude you are doin good, plenty of meat for the year, and you helped control the population all at the same time. Did you get em all with just one shot, with a .300 mag. or did you do like a real hunter, and use a .22, that way there was more sport in it.

Like I have said before, if none went to waste, and it's legal, you have no gripe.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    For this story lets say i killed them by throwing rocks lol. All head shots.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Skip when I first read your post I thought you went postal. I do understand the point you tried to make. It definitely got my attention even though I practice CPR.:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I want to say I am NOT opposed to keeping fish, deer, turkeys, ducks, ....whatever you hunt for be it fish or fowl. I just think a certain sanity must be achieved at some piont. If say you CAN kill four 16 point bucks or keep 4, 50lb flatheads do you really need to? Isn't one enough? Give the other three a pass. It just seems to me that we have people who think that because the law allows them to kill and keep a certain amount they strive to make that benchmark. It goes beyond sporting if you Limit out on trophies and pass up on less coveted specimens. Everyone of us is hoping someday to land an 88 or 100 pound fish, But without 44's or 50's that chance drops dramatically. If some want to keep everything they catch and its legal thats their choice. It just shows their petty self interest. Thats not bashing its just a fact. If you want to kill every wild animal you encounter that should be an indicator to how unbalanced you are lol. If you can't decern between utilizing a recource and abusing one, no amount of posts will ever change your mind. Kill all you want, just don't ask me to take you fishing.

17. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I tried catch & release with the 12 pointer I shot last year. Didn't work out.:big_smile:

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    rite on s-man, your welcome in my boat anytime with that attitude! i agree totaly about the "seed" thing.

19. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I can deifinately see your point and i can totally agree with you. I will not keep any cats before or during the spawn, unless they are gut hooked and are going to die anyway. I dont like keeping them during this time because you neer know which one are just plain fat or are full of eggs. After the spawn is over i will keep a couple of 2-3 pounders mainly because me and my son are the only ones that will eat them. when i catch larger ones i just snap a quick picture off it and toss it back in. i dont see the need to keep a fish that big. if you are going to eat it then fine, do as you please. and as far as deer hunting goes, i will kill maybe one or 2 a year, and then share the meat i have with friends because there is no way i am going to eat 200 lbs of deer meat in a year.

20. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee

IF you just keep an 88lb flat head, well you got problems I hope you are joking there is no good reason to keep a fish that big. They taste nasty and they have a lot of toxins in their bodys and they keep producing a lot of fish every year.