Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how you tell from looking at your fishing license if you purchased the extra 3rd pole? I was looking at my license yesterday to see when it expires. It expires next year and it was a 3 year license but I don't see anything on it about 3rd pole. It's hard for me to believe that I would have purchased a license without the 3rd pole but I would think that it would say something. Also my son is 13 and I know he doesn't need a license until 16 but how many poles can he have in the water? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't get the 3rd line this year but if I remember correctly it says 3rd line or additional line or something along those sorts but it does say it. I'm not sure about your son though.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Sorry can't help, no such provision in my home state. I would suggest a call to the agency responsible for issuing licenses in your home jurisdiction, I would also record the date and time of the call and the name and title of the person I spoke with. Good Luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the 3rd pole is a stupid idea and don't know who came up with it in the first place. You can only catch so many fish anyway so why limit your lines in the water? I bought my lifetime license this year and never knew you could get a 3rd pole license until I asked Spenser from River Certified on Utube how he was fishing with 3 poles after the fact. Not sure I can pay the extra now for one or not. I guess if you only keep 2 lines in the water while baiting the 3rd you are technically only fishing with 2, I always take a spare just in case one breaks. Hahaha I basically only practice catch and release anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 3rd line is year by year. You have to purchase it every year. I just purchased it for this year as an add on to my 3 year license that expires next year. I had a dnr officer call me back and explain how it works to me.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
Here in Oklahoma, I'm not sure how many lines are allowed.
But, in the lakes considered to be OkC water, the limit is three, with up to thred hooks per line. And they specify that a treble hook is counted as one hook, not three.

No purchasing a permit or license for additional lines. Three, period.
I've been assuming you can carry as many as you want to (or have room for in your vehicle). I usually have between five and eleven in my Tahoe.

Also, in OkC waters, there are no trotlines, limblines, juglines, yoyôs, or throw lines allowed.

Reactions: SteveMcK

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,370 Posts
On my Iowa non res license it states bonus third line. When fishing Missouri River it nice to have 2 baited lines out behind boat. Third line casting into seam with small lure or worm for mooneye. ( bait )

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think the 3rd pole is a stupid idea and don't know who came up with it in the first place. You can only catch so many fish anyway so why limit your lines in the water? I bought my lifetime license this year and never knew you could get a 3rd pole license until I asked Spenser from River Certified on Utube how he was fishing with 3 poles after the fact. Not sure I can pay the extra now for one or not. I guess if you only keep 2 lines in the water while baiting the 3rd you are technically only fishing with 2, I always take a spare just in case one breaks. Hahaha I basically only practice catch and release anyway.

I have to disagree. I think the third line is an awesome idea. It’s especially nice on a river. You can try multiple baits and see what works best. I agree that you can only keep so much fish but sometimes that’s easier said than done. If the fishing is that hot and heavy, you wouldn’t be using three lines. It’s also nice in the winter time while ice fishing. I like to run tipups for Pike and the bonus line is awesome for that. Another positive on it is it’s extra revenue for the DNR.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
1,017 Posts
In Missouri only limits 33 hooks max 3 hooks per pole you are supposed to label with name and address any over 3 I use 6 to 8

1 - 10 of 10 Posts