Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Banned
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just learned earlier that a former female student was killed yesterday off Hoover. Shot dead. She was my student last year.

Last year and a half another one was killed in a drive by. Stuff is deep. Keeps things in perspective yall. She was a good girl even though she was going through what normal teenagers go thru - it saddens to see her life cut short.

· Banned
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. We all have to consider ourselves fortunate to be alive today and not take life for granted. Jose Lima died at a young age yesterday. Just some things to put into perspective and how the streets are so full of hatred that you definitely have to be careful. Hate breeds the taking of life in a lot of our urban areas. It happens so many times and it is something teachers hate to see when a former or current student gets caught up in the crossfire at 13 and 14 years of age. Can not imagine the pain of a parent and young brother or sister.

· Registered
5,455 Posts

It is sad when former students die early.....or for that matter while in school.

In the 30 years that I have taught I seen plenty of student deaths..... fortunately my students in Garden Grove and hear at the beach were not in environments that had the drive bys etc...

Well actually, one was.....Hector he was a "hearing impaired" student from my drafting and photography class......who was standing on a corner waiting for a bus I think.... He was talking to his buddy.... using sign language and folks driving by shot at them....

Other than that.... I knew a "doper" student that was Halulcinating on acid and walked into a busy street and was run over..

And then there has be so many accidents and deaths where the "rich" or "not rich" little kids were traveling in an open vehicle and with no seat belts on.....

One student I had in my Photo class was such a nice girl... lived just down the street from me...I knew her Mom and dad for years.....

She was with friends going to the River for spring break and the driver fell asleep. The graduation ceremonies spoke about her at graduatiion....

Countless avoidable accidents.... Gets to where I don't feel the pain of it anymore...

Crashing into telephone poles while driving to avoid some harrasing folks on the freeway... Lost it on a side street and on and on ....

Can't say that I am surprised.... it will be even more with the cell phone conversations and sexting and texting that takes place....

I feel your pain Blue... wait until you are done teaching... there will be even more...

Didn't someone get killed on the way to one of your tournaments?

· Registered
5,818 Posts
Just learned earlier that a former female student was killed yesterday off Hoover. Shot dead. She was my student last year.

Last year and a half another one was killed in a drive by. Stuff is deep. Keeps things in perspective yall. She was a good girl even though she was going through what normal teenagers go thru - it saddens to see her life cut short.
Man B - That is some sad news bro :sad: - my prayers go out to the family and friends of thoes people.
("R.I.P. Young ones")

· Banned
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mind set now is just a total disregard for life. You can get shot just for looking at somebody wrong nowadays. The black community especially is at odds. People joining groups or gangs just for protection. Around the corner from me a month ago a young man was shot on the corner of my sons school and killed by an hispanic gang. There been a beef going on with the Inglewood Blood family and some local hispanic groups so they been tagging each other lately. I happen to live a block away from the Bloods. Almost every weekend you can hear the ghetto bird or sirens. Some of the reason why I like fishing on weekends and getting away. There was two dead bodies in the street at my sons moms spot a few months ago and I was just talking to his mom as my sons is visiting his mom now and they are stuck in the house because the police have her street blocked off due to something going on so I have to wait till thats all over before I pick him up. Something is always cracking.

I was involved in a attempted robbery last summer as a guys flossed his gun under his shirt at me. I knew it was my time to go then so I just stepped up to dude like I aint got nothing and was prepared to knock his homeboy off his bicycle as he was riding around me. Dudes took off after some people exited the store.

The life expectancy of a certain group of men is low due to issues and drama going on. And if you beat somebody's ass nowadays, you best be prepared for a retribution involving weapons with todays youth. So its just an everyday saga. Glad I am stil alive when so many of my old homies are dead now. Makes you respect your life and try to live it up. My good friend Adam taught me that before he was killed.

As soon as I can do better I will be going elsewhere but have to survive in the concrete jungle for a while. Its a good lesson for my son though so he dont think everything is okie dory.

· Banned
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW I got more of the story that Alexis( my former student) may have been hit by her boyfriend as they were playing around with a gun. Dont have the full story because you know how stories change with multiple people and kids saying it. She was also said to be pregnant. 9th grade student she was.

· Registered
7,171 Posts
I was helpin a guy in LA get his house ready to rent/lease. A pregnant lady got shot nearby. I don't know how folks can live in that city.

I reckon if Dads would raise their kids instead of abandoning them to their mother and welfare kids would be raised better. When we were young kids fought, but usually one on one, and no weapons. Things have changed. I've met former gang members who try to change things, but its against long odds. Sorry for the families.

· Registered
3,128 Posts

Sorry to hear this Brian!! Makes me wonder what this world is coming too!! Prayers sent from Nebraska to the family of the girl.

· Registered
1,547 Posts
.....the lost girl , her family ,you as well as those who took her life. Hopefully when the time comes for them to atone , they will avoid suffering a similar fate. I concur with everyone else - these kids nowadays seem to be caught in a causality loop of complacency. Nightly there are stories of youth killed over some of the most insipid things possible. Sad part about it , even after attending funeral services , some of their peers remain bent on equal revenge. You can't even talk to some of these kids - they see any attempt of intervention as a form of disrespect. Disrespecting their hood , block , or something else. If I had a dollar for every time I've been disrespected in any way , I'd be rich , but would remain alive and out of the penal system. Kinda makes me long for the days of socially conscious rap - they hear it now and have the audacity to refer to it as wack!!

· Registered
116 Posts
My girl is getting ready to leave me cause I don't want kids for all those reasons .I know it's a cop out but that's how I feel. I live were I dreamed of living in high school (by the beach surf , fishing , hot chicks )but this place is going down quick. It aint nothin like the inner city but, dope and rape are out of control and nothing on the news about it. My condolences to the families.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.