.38 special to a 357 mag

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by yellingrebel78, Nov 2, 2009.

1. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    Got one for yall does any one out there know if it possible to take a 38 and have it fixed were you can shoot 357.I know you can shoot 38 in a 357 but I want to take my 38 taurus and convert it to a 357 that way I can shoot both then I know there not that much of difference in length so I figure I could have the cylinder honed out some were they fit :confused2:

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    you might but why ? :eek:oooh: you could go trade it in and give some boot and still be less money then it would take to have a competent gunsmith to do that even if you could find one that would.:embarassed: the taurus was not designed to be a 357 if it came as a 38:big_smile: you would be limited to wadcutters because of cylinder lenght.

3. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    I got the gun free and it's a medium frame gun with a 4 in. barrel. The cylinder is 1/2 in longer than the 38 but you can see the chambe were it at I figure I could have it honed so it would fit.I just found my gun smith num. and he said he would have to look at it but if it's long enough he would do it for 100 dollars

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    A medium frame will not stand up to the pressure of a .357. Be very careful.

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think you'd need to look at the value of the handgun. Is it worth spending the money to make the modifications? What's wrong with the .38? If you want a .357, go to a gun show and buy you a cheap one.

You could probably modify some chevrolet fenders to fit a ford, but in the end, you've still got a ford.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'd let it be,,,shrapnel can hurt you :crazy::eek:oooh:

7. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    there is nothing wrong with the 38 I got it for my b-day a few days ago it's a almost new gun it a 2005 model 82b4 you can see it on the taurus web sight by putting the model number in on the search bar the way i under stand it it's the same frame but different cylinder . If i done it all I have is a 100 dollars in the gun then it would cost me more to get another one.I just want something for when I go hog hunting with a bow I have something to back me up just in case my dad said the 38 would stop a hog but I figure if I could have it honed to a 357 I could have more option what I could shoot in it

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have several .357 and 98% of the time I am shooting .38 specials through them.Personaly I would not do it but if your gunsmith is knowledgeable and agrees that it is safe to do go ahead.You do know that they make .38 special +P ammo right? It is .38 special by size but it is a hotter round that almost takes it to .357 magnum velocity.I would at least try it before I paid $100.00.Some older guns SHOULD NOT SHOOT THE +P AMMO, but if yours is strong enough to convert then I would try it.Like I said just google .38 special plus P ammo.Good luck on whatever you decide.By the way most gun shops will carry the +P ammo it is not uncommon at all.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    thank that what my gun say's it a 38 special +p on it so its capaple of shooting them

10. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    All well known brands will be a +P if it was manufactured in the last twenty years.I would just use that, it is close to .357 in performance and with the 100.00 you save you can afford to buy a box of ammo.lol
    Seriously I am gonna have to start selling blood between the price of gas and ammo these days....

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :big_smile::big_smile:thats the ticket !:big_smile::big_smile:

12. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    thanks everyone I'll give them a try first and see If I like it. All I know I learned my lesson hunting hog with just a bow with no back up I got 36 stitches in the back of my leg two years ago so I got to have something

13. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Good luck , by the way did you get the hog? Hope so I know you earned it:big_smile:

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    you may want to look at this thread and look at the pictures....you may decide to trade your gun and the $100 for a true 357, doing things like what you are trying is dangerous in my book....

www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128447

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    You need to go the Buffalo Bore Ammunition's website and look at his +p loads. He's got what you need! :wink:

16. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    well my buddy got him before he hit me again

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Not sure I"d advise modifing a .38 to .357, unless I was just shooting light handloads on a range. If I needed it as a backup, I'd have something I could rely on to do the job, and not add to my misery. If ya got a blown up gun it don't do the job, and could injure ya enough to make ya easy for a hog to finish off.

The reason the .357 case is longer is to keep it from fitting in a .38 special. The .38 special guns just ain't designed to shoot a .357 bullet. It seems like it can be done, but if it don't work, then ya gonna be wonderin why ya did something like that. I've seen the result of someone loading a hot round in a .38, and it will ruin the gun for sure. I will look like that .44 mag , 629 in the other thread. Not worth it if ya gonna rely on it for backup. A broke gun don't work. Don't take the chance.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    No, trying to bore out a .38 SPL to fire a .357 would be foolish and dangerous.
    See my previous post. Shows what can happen when a gun fires a shell that produces more pressure than the gun was designed to handle.

I reload/cast bullets for .357/38 SPL and own a couple .357s. Wife has a .38 SPL. It's rated to fire +P+ and that is more than she likes shooting.

My advice, if you want a .357, buy one.

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I believe if it was built strong enough to be a 357, then it would have been done from the factory. Just because it "can" be done, doesn't always mean it "should" be done. Some of the older tauruses were not as strong as the newer ones that are made in 357. I'd just shoot the 38s, or trade it for a 357.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia

That's what I'd be worried about. A .357 generates a lot more pressure than a .38. Could be a bomb waiting to go off!