38.5 mile marker LOZ

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SkipEye, Sep 23, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Finally got around to asking my uncle where his place was. He has a place on the water at the 38.5 mm. Closest town is Laurie, MO.

Any chance this might be a good area for Blue Cats. I don't know nothing about LOZ or lake fishing for that matter.

Any advice appreciated. I already know it would be best on the weekdays due to BIG boat traffic (I assume thats a problem everywhere on LOZ).

Thanks a lot Missouri Brothers.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Once the water gets cold (around 45F or so), look for the cats to be schooled up at the bottom of the old river channel, in 40 to 60 ft of water. You know you've found them when the bottom 15 or 20 ft of your sonar goes black with fish. :eek:oooh:

I'd come upstream a good 20 or 30 miles or so from your uncle's cabin.

There's not much boat traffic to speak of down there this time of year, especially once it cools off just a little more. Beautiful time to be fishing.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    No don't give ol Darryl all our secrets Marty.:wink:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    20 or 30 miles upstream huh? Thats a bummer, was kinda hoping for good fishing near by to just go out and fool around close to the cabin.

I would guess that doesn't mean fishing is horrible that far down, right?

I'd actually be interested in any info including Blues and Flats.

My uncle isn't much of a fisherman. They'll throw a bluegill on a setline off the dock before they go to bed at night sometimes. Had one GIANT on one morning, they couldn't get it in the net, then it took off and broke the line.

He doesn't even know if it was a flathead or a blue. Told you he 's not much of a fisherman.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Don't know about that far down much Darryl. 70 mm to the dam I may be able to help some.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm confused Troy. You said 70mm to the dam you might be able to help. I am only talking about 38 1/2 mm from Bagnell dam.???????:tounge_out:

Doesn't that fall into the range you are talking about?

Who's confused here?

Probably me as usual.

7. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a house it in the area where the gravois arm and the indian river arm split the locals refer to it as ensley point where harold ensley filmed some of his fishing shows back in the mid 70's and the catfishing in that area is good out in the chanel of the indian river arm once the water temp drops below 50.

8. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOZ is by far the most underfished catfish lake in the state. You can find eating size and bigger blues anywhere on the lake, the shad population is very good. Most people shy away from the lake due to size and more importantly lake traffic. The ocean liners that pass a pleasure yachts can beat the heck out of you and make life miserable. Two years ago I went on a guided trip (disappointing due to the guides attitude) and we drift fished for about 1/2 a day and we never had a moment where at least 2 of our 6 rods were not bouncing. Nothing huge that day but he had put 2 30 plus blues the day before. Good luck.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Lakes 94 miles long Darryl.
    Bagnell dam is mm1, Truman dam is mm94.
    I fish from Truman dam down to around the 70 mm usally.

10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

Troy is refering to Truman Dam Not butting in, just trying to help out

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Darryls a little slow some times Rob.:wink:
    It happens when ya get that old.....

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    hey Troy! don't be beating up on Darryl!:angry:
    i have hired him to guide me to big cats the next couple of weeks:smile2:

and i am hoping he is younger than i:smile2:

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Don't put any pressure on me Phil. I don't have a clue how to fish lakes or Oklahoma.

Ever hear the term Blind leading the Blind?

We ought to at least end up with some good stories to tell. Maybe we'll get lucky and snag one somewhere along the way.:wink: