37lb Blue catfish? from Lake Jacomo

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GaryF, Jun 13, 2007.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man, I saw that and also thought it was a channel cat. Biggest channel I've caught was 28 pounds and it looked really similar, big puffy lips like that one. The larger blues look more "normal" since 37 pounds is not exceptionally large for them. Oh well, guess thats how it goes. Chris

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I saw it also and the anal fin sure looked like a blue's fin. Either way it is nice to see a kid catch something like that. I'm sure he'll be hooked for life.

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I also thought it was a channel,boy i would be checking that if i was him

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I seen this and the first thing I thought when he lifted it out of the cooler was it was dead already.I noticed he also said it wasn't his first big fish.How does one get to Lake Janycomo.I know it's in Kansas City just don't know where in Kansas City,would like to find out!:big_smile:

6. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    If that's a new state record channel, I'm going to be sick. I've spent DAYS fishing Jacomo with almost nothing to show for it.

I only saw the fish for a few seconds with the volume muted and I thought it looked like a blue.

Sister Pat, the below link will give you an idea of where it's at:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lake+jacomo&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.077336,82.265625&ie=UTF8&ll=38.972756,-94.318657&spn=0.063392,0.160675&t=h&z=13&om=1

It takes me about 10 minutes to get there but several hours of being skunked to leave.

7. crashawk

crashawk New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm about 10 minutes away myself, spent 3 or 4 days in the last month there in my boat allready. only brought about a dozen fish into the boat this year but one was a 15 pound channel cat my brother caught on a rubber worm. so the fishing there is very hit or mis but when it's hit, watch out.

sister Pat, I'm allways looking for someone to fish with during the day. give me a holler if you want to drown some bait at jacomo or blue springs lake, the boat is allmost allways ready. (and no it ain't the boat in my avatar!!!).

Jason

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think I remember a old In-fisherman artical about the 100 great catfish waters in the USA, and I think that Jacomo and Truman lakes were very high on that list. I have heard of people catching really nice fish out of there, just not me.:roll_eyes:

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I might have to check Jacomo out as well.:wink:

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Blue cat,a very nice blue,but still a blue

11. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    I enjoy going to Jacomo and catching moss from the bank! Seeing this also makes my stomach turn given the amount of hours spent banging my head against various trees along the shoreline :roll_eyes:

Oh well, good to see someone having luck out there.

Happy Fathers Day and best of fishing this weekend BOC'ers!

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I had to run the nephew out to Blue Springs yesterday, so I threw in the fishing poles and fished Jacomo for about an hour. Result... an 8-9lb channel cat! It was a blast to land on my lightweight setup.

For the folks striking out at Jacomo, a little advice.. Hotdogs! I've seen them work at Jacomo in the summer months when nothing else does. Use the cheapie ones that have beef, pork, and turkey.

I've been skunked out there more than I've been successful, but success generally means some quality sized channel cats.

13. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Thanks for the tip... Given I live 5 minutes from that place I hate to write it off, but with little to no luck in the past I was at that point. I will give that a shot.

Thanks again

14. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Gary, big thanks for the tip. I think that might be one of the only things we *haven't* tried @ Jacomo.

Somehow I can see that advice mutating into the impaling of an entire Kielbasa onto a 12/0 treble hook. :big_smile:

15. crashawk

crashawk New Member

State:
    missouri
    an old friend of my dad's used to use sizzleen. he'd cook it on top his lantern and swore by it for jacomo catfish.
    as for myself, I've eventually caught a catfish in jacomo on about every bait I've ever thrown in there. a couple of years ago a friend and I where fishing on the marina and the crappie weren't bitten so we switched over to nightcrawlers and caught our limit of channel cat in about 2 hours with the biggest being about 12 pounds. I don't really think it's so much the bait at jacomo as it is being in the right place at the right time.

Jason

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree that it's a mistake to rely too much on any one bait, but in my experience it comes down to the right place at the right time with the right bait. I'll usually put out 3 poles with 3 different baits, but one of them is going to be a hotdog, based upon previous experience.

I was suprised the 37lb'er was caught on liver rather than shad or some other more natural bait.

17. tikiman

tikiman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that was a nice fish. lucky he got it in the boat saying he only had 10# test on. nice fish