378 Bridge on the Wateree report...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, Apr 21, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Went out at about 6pm yesterday and when I show up of course the spot I wanted to fish was taken. So I got stuck under the bridge and I hate fishing under the bridge. So I sat for about an hour with nothing happening and decided to find a new spot by walking through the woods. Found what I thought was going to be a good spot. The water was not moving too fast and there were a lot of trees in the water right there. So sat there for 2 more hours without a bite. So at this point I was pretty fed up. I came out of the woods and looked across the river to see my preferred spot opened up. So I decide to give the night one last shot there. So I get there and fire up the lantern. Grabbed my first pole got it all hooked up and tossed it out. Started to get my second pole ready and I don't even think I got a knot tied and my other pole is bouncing.

So I grab it and pull a little. I still felt the fish so I gave it another tug to ensure the hook was set and started reeling. Well I should say I tried reeling. The line was zipping off the spool pretty good then all the sudden it stopped. I reeled it a couple cranks and it felt like I was just pulling in my weights. I was pretty upset then all the sudden the line started zipping off again. I was pumped. I started reeling and the fight was abnormally easy and I thought I just had a very aggressive 5# fish. All the sudden downstream by the bank I see wave coming to me. The fish was swimming down the bank right to me. So I got the rest of the line in and he is sitting in 6 inches of water splashing around and rolling like cats do. I am freaking out since I only have 10# line. A little flashback to two weeks ago my buddy caught a 15# flathead. When we got it to the side of the bank I grabbed the line and it snapped. So he ended up jumping into the river after his fish.

So back to me. I was not about to jump in the river after this fish. So if the line breaks my biggest fish ever is gone. So I am freaking out about how I am going to get this fish out of the water. Just for the record I am afraid of catfish. I know its stupid fishing for something I am afraid of, but they are so much fun to catch. So after tearing my tackle box apart I finally find my needlenose pliers and grab a hold of his lip and drag him onshore.

So what is it you ask? It was a blue cat. Easily the biggest fish I have ever caught. We don't have a scale so never got the exact weight but I am going to guesstimate 14-18#. I know thats a baby compared to some of you guys, but it is still great feeling catching that thing. I would have let it go, but we are trying to have a big fish fry in a few weeks so that fish really will help in the meat department.

So after that sat for another 2 hours and never had another bite. I guess I showed up at the perfect time. I was using nightcrawlers only. That seems to be the only thing that works there. Its strange. I will post the pics of it as soon as I find the cable for my camera. I hate when things vanish when I need it the most.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    One fish can make your trip.

3. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    CONGRATS on the fish, A fish like that makes the rest of the night worth it.

4. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    is this the river below wateree ? never heard of it or fished it , is it a very rocky river and does it have deep spots?

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    The Wateree River is below the lake. I guess it would be considered the outlet of the lake. The bridge is almost half way between Sumter and Columbia on 378, so its pretty far downstream from the lake. I am not sure the depth or what is out there. When you don't have a boat you fish where you can and that is one place you can.

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    If you head down river it's deeper water and good going all the way to the confluence with the Congaree. Up river is a different story. I have not been nearly as far up river but it's not a good run due to shallow water and snags. I like to fish up river but just can't run as fast. I'm sure it would be tough to get to Camden (if you could?).

7. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    There is a guy on the lakes board looking for people to go with him to Santee. You bridge guys should look him up.