378 bridge finally produces a "One that got away story"

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, Jun 23, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Went up to the Wateree Dam to start off and get some bait. It went mighty terrible. There was very few shad and we only ended up with 6 in probably 25 throws before my buddy tossed the net in the river. We did get 2 decent size gizzard shad though which will in turn lead to my story. So we headed to the 378 bridge and went to my preferred spot that is a little downstream of the bridge beside a couple of fallen trees. So we are fishing nothing much happening when my buddy hooks a decent size fish and it heads straight to the trees and that was the end of that. So we sat there for what seemed like forever and we got down to our last bait fish. It was one of the big gizzards. So I sliced it up and my buddy took the head and I took the middle and split into 2. So casted out and maybe 15 minutes later one of my rods is loaded up. I pick it up and the drag starts sizzling. So I am freaking out since I know its heading to the trees. So I grab the reel to stop the line and start walking back upstream. Well I had to stop or I was going to cross my other line. So I crank down the drag a bit and start reeling as much as possible. I am making progress and right at the tip of the closest tree the fish comes up and makes quite the splash and all the sudden snap. I threw the rod on the ground a decided I might need to take a walk down the bank before I break it in half. This was easily my personnel best fish. The only other big one I have caught did not pull drag like this guy. I am going to guesstimate 20+ #'s.

What makes this all worse is that I use 50 lb Power Pro braid and I was talking it up to my buddy about how much I love it and trust it. But I believe it was mostly my fault for two big reasons. One is I don't know what to do to keep the fish out of the trees other then reel as fast as I can and two I was looking at the line earlier and it had some frays in it, but I left it be because I am apparently a dumb a$$.

So basically I need some advice on keeping fish out of the trees. Keep in mind I am on the bank, not in a boat. And how often do you inspect your line? It was obvious I should have trimmed it, but for whatever reason I did not.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bill, you asked for some help. If you will go to Fishing Tackle Review, Misc. Fishing Tackle Talk and read thread entitled Catfish Breaking Your Line by LKNB it might help you in the future. Mac

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It sounds to me like you might want to beef up your rod a little and use a mono leader. I love Power Pro but I started on 100lb test. I put on some 65 and IMHO it is worthless. I am going today to get some Berkley Big Game 50 to put on as leader material. If I can figure out how to tie a knot to splice 2 lines together I may put 20-30 feet on. A longer rod with a stiffer butt gives you more leverage to hold those big cats out of the snags while a responsive tip lets you feel the bait and allows for "surge". In other words you might not lose that fish the next time.

Good luck and looks like you had a blast.

4. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Harper - looked for you at the dam last night from 11 to 3. I had the wrong impression, I thought that's where you were fishing last night. They shut the water off the whole time I was there. They were some 8-10 lb blues caught. Nice channels, bull heads. Hate I missed you - maybe catch you next time.

As far as the one that got away, at least you got to feel something. I don't know anything about your equipment. When I'm bank fishing, I use a rod with a lot of backbone and a good line, and let the rod do the work. I'm a mono fan. And I run my fingers up and down the line every time I bait it. 'Course by the sound of your posts, you knew it needed to be changed, just didn't do it. We learn from our mistakes (I know I have!), and I bet you'll do it next time!:big_smile:

It sounds like the bigger fish are starting to bite better, according to your, Flopeye's, and some of the other posts I've been reading. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    We left the dam at about 9. Did the shad ever return? We were catching one every couple throws, it was quite disgusting. The equipment that I was using with this fish is a Abu C106 spinning reel and a Shimano 7' MH FX series with a 50lb Power Pro braid. Its cheap equipment, but I really don't have the money to drop on nice gear. And I need to use the braid since I have small spinning reels. One of these days I am going to drop some cash on bigger reels and rods, but thats just not an option right now.

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    There's nothing wrong with your equipment. That was using your head with the braided line with the small line capacity reel - good idea. Just check your line for kinks, like you were doing, and then don't be lazy - if it needs changin', change it! :smile2:

If it makes you feel any better, I'd be glad to take care of it for you. I just got off of the phone with my dad, and we'll go catch those two fish for you tonight. I won't mind at all. :big_smile: Anything to help.

And, btw, the shad never did pick up at the Wateree dam.

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Headed up there tonight again. My wife must be sick allowing me to go two nights in a row, but I'll take it. Hopefully the shad are back in town. And if you catch one with a 5/0 Red circle hook in its mouth I would appreciate it if you just go ahead and drop it off at my house. LOL!

8. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Well, seriously, we are talking about going to 378 tonight. We're fixin' to leave to try and catch some bream out of the pond and creek here in Camden, then we're gonna head out for 378. And I promise that if I catch that fish, I will save it for you - the hook not the fish! But I will release the fish to give you another chance. :smile2:

It's good news that your wife is letting you go again tonight. Hopefully I'll see you there.

9. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well I will probably be out there sometime. We just have to make our rounds and we usually end up there. Don't let all the campers scare you either. It will look overly crowded, but nobody fishes at night there. We will be the 2 guys with green glow sticks on our poles.