37.9lb flat from Plez

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Blue709995, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Did anyone catch the pic of the 37.9 lb in AZ flat that a bass angler got form pleasant while jigging spoons for largemouth? Pretty interesting… Said he commonly catches them from November through feb I think on spoons white spinners and white Rio Ricos.

Well it says in the report that he took it home and ate it…
    I’m not bashing you BOC members out there that keep some cats for the dinner table but I am an avid bass tournament fisherman as well and if I posted on the BOC that I had caught a huge like 9 to 14 lb large mouth on large live bait while fishing for cats and I took it home and ate it, and a bass fisherman read the post I’m sure he would be upset!!!! Just food for thought. Good info from the post and again I’m not dissing the guy who got a bigger flat than me from plez lol and ate it… it is just kinda funny that in a sport where catch and release is so vital to the longevity of the trophy fishery (Bass fishing) a guy takes home a true trophy Flat.

Let me know what you think of it. And read the read the report.. Like I said lots of good interesting info.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    There will always be those bass fishermen that think all the bass belong to them alone.
    Yet while dissing you for taking a couple of bass home for the table they think nothing of draging nesting bass off the nest there by exposing the nest to predation.
    They start that with me I and my reply to them is STFU and get out of my face.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I have to agree with you, to me, a trophy fish of any species is still trophy fish and should be released with the same care, if someone claims to be a CPR fishermen.

Its sad when we start to turn natural selection backwards by pulling out only the largest fish with the best genes.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    pardon me, but gotta agree with stfu with C&R here. this isn't bass fishing. it's catfishing. want to eat it, then do it. want to take picture and release, fine, but no lectures on it.
    gary
    oh, i eat bass when i want too.

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
  6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Spoken like a wise ol' Catfishin Cracker. :wink:

7. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    For me it's very easy, it's your fish, do what you want with it. Eat it, take a picture, release it or stuff it in your pants. If it's a legal fish, caught legally what you do with it is none of my business. If you waste it, let it die and throw it out, then you're breaking the law. Just as with any other infraction, if I see it I'll drop a call to a DFG tip line.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    "I’m not bashing you BOC members out there that keep some cats for the dinner table but I am an avid bass tournament fisherman as well and if I posted on the BOC that I had caught a huge like 9 to 14 lb large mouth on large live bait while fishing for cats and I took it home and ate it, and a bass fisherman read the post I’m sure he would be upset!!!!"
    i'm sorry, but this sounds almost like a troll to me. if not and i hope i'm wrong, you should keep your bass fishing thoughts on the bass fishing forum. not the catfishing one.
    i'm old, crotchety, grouchy, and don't give a da (oops, can't say that can i?) darn. i get touchy with the preaching and take this post as such.
    gary

9. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Few observations: The daily limit at Pleasnat is 25. Game & Fish has no worries. If I were a Bass guy, I wouldn't mind taking a few top preditors out of the food chain to make life easier for bass. Certainly shouldn't be any environmental concerns- Afterall, Pleasant (and most every other body of water in AZ) is a terraformed enviroment- we put the cats in there and we can take 'em away without endangering Earth's fragile whatever. And Flaties are as tasty as they are ugly. If keep a few myself.

All that said, I wouldn't take anything near that kind of tonage home with me. I like 'em fresh. At the rate I catch 'em it'd take me till 2090 to consume 30lbs of catfish anyhow!:smile2: I look at today's bass fishing and it looks more like a job than a leisure activity! It needs to be super-managed because it's become a real sponsor rich sport. The fishing pressure created by the purses, hype, and media coverage sort of mandates it. I'd be sorry to see catfishing go that way. My 2 cents anyhow.

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    nothing to say, just wanted to hit that 400 post. :big_smile_2:
    gary

11. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Gary, congrats on your 400th post.

I release most of my catfish but I do keep every bass I catch no matter how big. I'm not trying to sound like a smart alec but I keep em because they do taste good.

12. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Like I said in my original post….I AM NOT BASHING YOU BOC GUYS OUT THERE THAT KEEP A FEW CATS FOR THE DINNER TABLE… or as many as you want but if you read the post like I suggested they regard the large (trophy to me) cat as almost a trash fish. Like “you didn’t let that slimy fish on your boat” and such. I simply said it was a little hypocritical of the bass guy the keep it. Not you tofish or you Da Chummer for keeping your cats. You are cat fisherman and your right! In that sport people do often keep their fish. And believe it or not there are more anglers out there than I that are multi species fisherman. I read several different fishing reports on a daily basis. I fish for cats, bass, stripers, white bass, trout, tuna, yellow tail and pretty much any fish that will pull on my line and enjoy all of them. So that is why I read BOC and azbasszone and many others. So I kinda figured there would be a few more anglers on the BOC that are like me.
    Conservation of cats is not a high priority for AZ game and fish Gtbait. The money that cat fisherman pump into AZ Game and Fish is but a small fraction of what bass fisherman pump in. Therefore they (AZ Game and Fish) would be a little more inclined to keep bag limits on bass lower and make artificial habitat and stock them in lakes that have experienced golden algae (Apache, Canyon, Saguaro) etc. I don’t see them stocking cats in here.
    I like the fact that there are large flats in pleasant! I don’t fear them hurting the bass population. I am more concerned with the millions of stripers in the lake from six inches to two pounds that are depleting the shad population in pleasant at an alarming rate. I believe the big flats will help to put a small dent in the population of fish that can wipe that lake out of the primary forage fish and therefore starve all the ambush type predators. And before you know it pleasant can become like Powel. Now I’m not an ichthyologist so I could be talking out my rear right now but that is just how I feel from fishing pleasant for ten years. I used to catch much larger bass, hundreds of white bass, lots of crappie and only one or two stripers per trip. In the last two years I have only caught about ten whites, no crappie, smaller bass and hundreds of stripers. I feel like the stripers are eating these fish and starving them by eating all the shad!!
    I hate to bring up the hypocrisy issue again but I don’t feel I’m preaching C&R but I do feel I am being preached to on Catch and do what-ever you want with. So I will keep my thoughts on catch and release to myself. As for the “troll” comment… I was looking for input or what you guys think of it… That’s why I said “Let me know what you think of it” I appreciate the input weather it is supporting (SilencedMajority) what I said or against it….. thank you…. I just don’t want anyone to think I am preaching anything. Just thought it was interesting and wondered how you guys felt about it. And now I know.
    With that said is anyone doing any catfishing out there or is it just too cold? Good luck to you guys if you are. Fished Bartlett a few weeks ago and got skunked for cats L got four nice bass throwing swim baits in the morning though J I’m hoping to get out there tomorrow and see what I can do

13. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I never got offended by your post at all. It is a good post. I'm glad to see big flats in Plez. I complimented Gary on his first post cause i agree with his "if i catch it, i'll make up my mind what i'm gonna do with it" attitude. That is exactly how i feel about it too. I would not give you any crap about CPR. I don't want to be told what to do with my catch, why would i tell you what to do. I didn't even take it as you preaching CPR. I took it as that is how you feel about what you catch and i have no problem with that. I certainly DO NOT think you are a troll. I think you are a Fisherman. I have no problem with how people fish or what they do with their fish as long as it is legal. As a matter of fact my new years fishing resolution is too release all cats i catch, excpet the one i am looking for and that might never happen. As for it being a trophy fish. I guess i didn't look at it from the way you did. Everyone has a different meaning for trophy i guess. Thanks for the BIG post. I didn't need to put on my glasses to read it. LOL

FISH ON!!!!

14. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Da chummer! I just wanted to clear up the fact that I'm not trying to preach. Sorry for how long the post was.

We got some good rain recently hopefully horseshoe will fill and you can go to your spot up there in the river.

I wll be throwing some large swim baits tomorrow at pleasant for big stripers bass or flats and fishing with blue gills for flats if I can catch any.

I'll let you know how I do if I get anything lol

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dustin, maybe i jumped fast, but did take offense at the post. to me you came on as a typical bass fisherman, and that is why i left other sites and came to this one.
    i've kept a few large ones, (and ate them) but release most of what i catch. i too would like to see the flatheads take off out here in az.
    i'm just touchy with anything or anyone that seems to preach C&R to me. just me and i won't change. thanks for explaining yourself better.
    gary
    oh, my avator picture, it fed five kids and my grandkids. yummy. not wasted.

16. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Dustin I made no reference whatsoever regarding bag limits set by the AZ DFG. I do know, with the input from accredited biologists, the DFG implements an extensive Channel Catfish stocking program in all of the bodies of water in the Urban Fishing Program. Primarily as a put and take fishery. I work for the U.S. Census Bureau. A year long Fishery's survey was conducted through out the country in 2007. As the AZ field rep I can vouch for this accumulated fact, the majority of angling families that I surveyed are panfishing fans. With Catfishing next in line. Bass anglers follow up in third place. Granted Bass angling garnishes more glamour yet the monies spent for panfishing and catfishing, by family's, is much higher. I was surprised, then realized the cost involved in putting together a family trip is bolstered by the fact that ma & pa each have a license, maybe a child or two as well. The incidentals costs are higher in relation as well. The primary reasons family's fish are two fold. Recreation with a meaningfull effort toward creating a meal. As far as the Striper population in any given lake, eventually and with angler uproar, the Striper bag limit can be corrected to control their population. This has taken place on the Colorado River as well as a number of CA lakes. I've an admission to make. While fishin' the lower Colorado River for Flathead bait I was constantly catchin' those runt Stripers. You know them, each no more than 10 inches long. As a lark and in defiance of the little suckers I pinned an 8 inch Striper to my flathead rig. Within 10 minutes I was muscling a 29# Flathead into the boat. Out of guilt and fear of DFG reprisal she went right back into the water. I tried spray painting Bluegill silver for the next couple of days. That didn't work!

17. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Tofish:
    Sorry for coming off a little strong. I think I may have. I’m glad you used the fish well!! I feel that too often weekend anglers bring home large fish, whether it be bass or cat, merely to show off to friends and neighbors and end up being wasted because it is not cleaned on time.

Gtbait:
    I did not know the facts that you know about number of families fishing and funds spent on fishing. I just thought DFG stocked channel cats in urban lakes because they grow fast, there easy to hatch, and they are easy to catch (in an urban lakes).

I grew up in central Phoenix and fished the lake that is in desert West Park almost every day as a child. And about 95% of the people fishing that lake were people just as you have described.. Fishing with the fam and or just fishing for something to bring home to the dinner table
    I just figured that bass fishing put a lot of money into the state because on any given weekend there is at least one to three bass tournaments going at Pleasant, Bartlett, and Roosevelt. Permits for each lake must be purchased from the state and each tournament brings anywhere from six boats to over a hundred and of course each vehicle must pay for each day of the tournament. Also a number of these tournament guys pre fish the lake a few days before the tournament.
    I wish the rules of live bait allowed in AZ could be bent to accept stripers as bait sense they are considered a game fish as far as I know I can’t use them for bait. Wish I could though because nine out of ten trips that I go for stripers I can catch those little guys (six inches to twelve inches) on every drop within seconds. I like bringing people I know who have never fished to pleasant and set them up to catch the little stripers. They love it because it is fast action. I kinda feel like we are ice fishing when we do that lol. It would be easy to get bait that way istead of the way I do it by freezing my fingers of throwing a cast net thousands of times lol

Well I just had my four wheel low fixed in my lifted 78 GMC and took it out to the back side of castle yesterday with my buddy and we threw five inch striper colored storm swim baits and didn’t even get a bite. Maybe next time. We are trying to get some bigger stripers and flats that are feeding on those plentiful baby stripers.
    I feel there are much larger flats (over 37lbs) and much larger stripers (over the new state record 27lbs) swiming in lake pleasant that only key on large bait.... Kinda how the large stripers at willow beach key on stocked trout