36 more counties added to antler point restrictions.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by spoonfish, Aug 10, 2008.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    New for 2008 deer season.
    Missouri has added 36 more counties to the antler-point restriction.
    Only bucks that have at least four antler-points on one side of their rack may be harvested during the 2008 archery and firearms deer season.

Antler restricted counties are:

adair, andrew, atchinson, audrain, barton, bates, benton, boone, buchanan, caldwell, callaway, camden, carroll, cedar, chariton, clark, clinton, cole, cooper, daviess, dekalb, franklin, gasconade, genrty, grundy, harrison, henry, hickory, holt, howard, johnson, knox, lafayette, lewis, lincoln, linn, livingston, macon, maries, marion, mercer, miller, moniteau, monroe, montgorery, morgan, nodaway, osage, pettis, phelps, pike, pulaski, putnam, ralls, randolph, ray, saline, schuyler, scotland, shelby, st. clair, sullivan, vernon, warren and worth.

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for the info Troy. I think it is good that they are doing this. About 6 years ago we started to try to manage deer on my farm and boy is it paying off now. Starting to see a lot more quality bucks in the are and the deer look healther. It helps to have neighbors all around on the same page.

Tom

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the info. I love the rule change. I think the quality of bucks will be much better, and for me it will keep me from shooting the first small buck that walks by.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm all for it. Rather take a fat barren doe than a young buck deer. If ya take em at 1 1/2 old 6 pt. they won't ever make the book. JMO:embarassed:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good conservation work, thanks for the valuable post

6. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    yep,i like the rule myself.with all the rest of you i have definatly seen a change in the deer herd around where i hunt,i've gotten more pics of bigger bucks in my area on the game cams in the past 3 years than in the previouse years all combined.

7. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Here are a few pics of some of the nicer bucks i have gotten on my cuddyback cam.enjoy

Attached Files:

8. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds great!, but why don't they just make it state wide and get it over with. Then start working on some Catfish restrictions. I hate to say it, but last year when they tried to make tighter regs. on catfish the set liners sure out numbered the CPR guys. It was pretty sad to see. But at least they tried my hats off to Kevin Sullivan and the rest of them who tried.

Big Bucks and Big Catfish, sounds too good to be true.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    According to the 2008 hunting regulations booklet:

The experimental antler points restriction proved to be popular with hunters in the pilot counties in north and mid Missouri. It produced more adult bucks in the harvest but only increased doe harvest in the central group of counties. Although not all population/harvest management objectives were acheived, there were no negative biological consequences.

Since the majority of hunters wanted the program expanded to areas where they hunt, the restriction was added this year to 36 more counties.

Counties of Platte, clay, jackson, cass, st. charles, st. louis, and jefferson were not recommended for the restriction because the management goal is to provide liberal harvest opportunities in these urban areas.

In parts of southwestern Missouri, deer numbers have declined and below desired level. As a result only one antlerless permit may be obtained in barry, barton, christian, dade, jasper, lawerance, mcdonald, newton, polk, stone, webster, and wright counties. Christian and webster were removed from the urban counties portion of the firearms season. However Miller county, deer populations have been gradually increaseing. Miller has historically had deer populations in the modest levels where antlerless permits were appropiate, but inclusion in the antlerless portion was not. Recent increases in Miller county populations now warrent its inclusion in the antlerless portion of the 2008 firearms season.

So as you can see, the majority of hunters wanted this to happen.
    But it is not something that could be state wide because many counties may have lower numbers and the urban counties have way to many.

Can we do this with catfish also? Hell yes. But it will take the majority just like you said Steve for us to show up and want it. I know Kevin just told me he is still working on his reservoir report and a lot of other areas. Im sure many areas could be benifical from a lenght limit at least if not the whole state. Kevin said if he had to make a recomendation today it would be a 10 fish limit with only one fish over 24". That would still give you plenty smaller fish for the freezer and help to increase the trophy size fish.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm in total agreement with only 1 over 24". I have to question what would come of the tournaments? Folks are gonna HOWL if tourney anglers get to keep over 1 even if it is CPR.

As for the SW part of the state, we simply don't have the deer for the rednecks to slaughter as many as they can for only a $7 doe permit. This should have been stopped years ago in my opinion. If i want more meat, i'll drive further north where the numbers are greater. While i'm preachin, they can outlaw killin jake turkeys too.:big_smile:

11. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    [quote=spoonfish;

Counties of Platte, clay, jackson, cass, st. charles, st. louis, and jefferson were not recommended for the restriction because the management goal is to provide liberal harvest opportunities in these urban areas.

I hunt a couple of farms in Platte County, and have seen some of the deer taken, makes me sad that they can't even let a buck mature to at least 2 1/2 years old. I have nothing against someone wanting meat , but there are plenty of does in that county that can fill the freezer also.

Maybe they can put out an urban tag only without restrictions. Good to see they have added more counties. Good post Troy.

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    MAN, IM HAPPY TO HAVE READ THAT!!!!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:
    I have a couple awesome farms in Scotland county, and numerous boone and crocketts have been taken from them over the years, but most of the guys I hunt with are weekend warriors. Their motto is, "If it's brown, it's down" My uncle has been hunting on a farm that has had a 190" deer, and several 160's and 170's taken, for 15 years, and he's got 1 basket rack 8 on the wall. You won't kill a big one, unless you let a little one walk by, I keep telling them. Maybe this will change things, and they will have to think twice before squeezing that trigger. I sure hope so!!:big_smile::wink: