36" Limit on Santee Cooper Lake blue catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Apr 9, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The new law has been signed by the governor, effective 3/27/07. Not sure when the size limit of 1 fish over 36" will take effect, probably with the new fishing licenses a little later this summer. :smile2:

2. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Great news.....thanks for the update Tommy.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's excellent. I'd like to see it extended to all cat species and all waters of the state. Heck, I'd like to see it amended to one fish over the slot per boat.
    We have to start somewhere, though. This is deffinately a step in the right direction

4. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    That's Great News!! Now we need to push for further restrictions to help save the fishery.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wonderful news Tommy. Thanks for the info.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    :0a31: Man thats good news.Maybe in 5 years or so we'll be catchin 50 and 60lb fish quite regular.

7. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    That is Great News!!! By the time my Grand Daughter is 10 Years old, she will have good chances of Landing a Whopper... I am excited.. If you hear when it does take effect, please let us know..

Thanks..

Lenny:big_smile:

8. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    That is really good to here. I just hope the law can be enforced on such alarge body of water.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats good to hear, I have never fished any there but how is that gonna effect tournaments if any at all? will you only be allowed 1 blue over the slot on the boat at a time?

10. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks Tommy that's great new's, now maby our kids or grand kids will be able to catch a string of Nice cats the way we catch 6-8 lbs now. I really think it will make a big difference in about 5-8 years.

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    glad to hear this,way long overdue

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Very good question.Thats gone be interesting.

13. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's good news.Thanks for the info Tommy. This will put a stop to the people keeping all the large fish they catch.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    WOW jsut got back from skiing Tommy and that is great news.You know how hard we all have tried to get this.Man I can't believe it!!!!!!!:big_smile: :smile2: Well that is the first step back for Santee,now if we can get the catfish designated as game fish I can go to catfish heaven happy.This means Doug and Jons children will have a shot at the big ones as we have had.Never thought I would see the day but by gosh that just shows what being persistent can accomplish.Thanks again,I'm doing a little maint on the baot and cant wait to get down there.Probably be down later this month.We definitely need to hoist a cold one to celebrate.:smile2:

15. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Thats just it,there is no law on Marion an Moultrie. S.C. has some screwed up laws just like they hunt on Sunday in some areas but fine you in others.Real fishermen catch plenty of big ones at Santee still but these dreamers want you to think the every jackass that comes along with a rod will in a few years,never going to happen because it just takes some knowledge about fish patterns at Santee.I do think it is a good idea,but only enforced strictly on everyone. Wonder how this will affect tournaments??????? Maybe the best stringer will LOSE because of this law. Just disgusted with all of this politics. Richard

16. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Lets just make cats a gamefish and limit them to 8-10 fish possesion limit per boat and and stop the commercial fisherman businesses from selling the big fish..... I have seen 1000's of pound of Santee cats delivered here to Mercer County W.V. pay ponds many 50-70 pound fish for $2.50-$5.00 per pound. P.M.is a big dealer and I figure Tommy knows this man from Cross??? I am pretty sure they are bringing some in the next week. Thats where the big fish are going so if you want to catch big ones come and support these so called fishermen who are selling the Big ones.

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    that should help ya'lls lake alot. with a limit in the number of fish kept u guys sould be in good shape. I just wondered, Is further restriction really needed? Are the commercial guys really that bad on that lake?

18. As far as gamefish go.. is there a limit to the number of rods you can fish
    w/ per person? Seem like awhile back i thought it was 2 rods and/or 2 canes poles per but, i'm not sure.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Richie send me the name of the man selling the fish from Cross and I will see if there isn't something that can be done.Get some pictures if you can of the individual,vehicle with license plate etc.Thanks:smile2:

20. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    bank fishing it's two rods per person,if you fish out of a boat you can fish with as many as you want.