351 Windsor

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by chris45601, Aug 1, 2006.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok, I'm a ricer mechanic and run a amature speed shop out of my buddies garage, I do motor swaps all the time (sr20dets,b16'sand etc.) well i have a 1987 ford thunderbird with the 4.6 (fake 5.0) and i want to swap a 351 with it because in the 4.6 the rods are knocking and have been for about 2 years now. I'm just wonder will i have to put the c3-c4 automatic tranny or will the old thunderchickens tranny hold up ? I'm sure the motor mounts, ECU and etc will have to be changed but let me know other wise brothers

2. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I dont know call a salvage yard they should know.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The old thunder chicken tranny will hold up if you will do a little modification to it. Needs a cooler and a shift kit and drill it out so it will shift at higher r's that way it doesn't over heat it.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I didn't think that Frod went to the 4.6 engine until the early 90's. I would have thought that an '87 would have a 5.0 in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that car should have come with a 5.0

5. 1 fishingfool

1 fishingfool New Member

State:
    il
    I think they did not put a 4.6 in them until 90 or 91 you would be better with a fmx trans.Yes you will have to change the mounts and comp. exhst. and so forth is the car in that good of shape?

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    They did not come out with a 4.6 Litre engine in that year & even if you have a 5.0 Litre, the 351 Windsor uses a different bellhousing pattern. The 351 Cleveland is the same but try & put your hands on one:roll_eyes: .

The nice thing about the C-4's are that they don't "rob" alot of horsepower & they will hold up if built correctly. The C-6's take alot more horsepower to push & the bellhousing is part of the case.

HTH, Elliot

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    If I remember correctly there were 3 different 351 Windsor motor designs. Large, Small, and modified...the way we use to tell the differance without taking them apart was size of spark plugs and number of bolts in valve covers.

I had several friends try to talk me into swapping out my 390 and put a 351 Cleveland in it's place but I never did.

Jesse

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I used to have a 77 T-Bird. My licence plate was TCHIKEN. Seeing this thread made me think about it.

9. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    It should work, without much tranny modification

10. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    call JEGS for free advice on torque converters, you will need a high rpm one

11. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    You know I am curious, what is your VIN number for engine (it will be the 8th diget ) on the VIN tag. If it is a F,M or N it is a 5.0 I know Ford used to offer in the early 80's a baby 5.0 (AKA 302) but it was a 4.2 (255) engine. Did you mean a 1997 year model TBird?