350 rem mag

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Bayoubear, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    one of my buds is adamant that i forget my insane idea on getting a 30-378 wby mag and instead get one of his pets, the 350 rem mag. upon reading the ballistics tables the answer is no way. however i admit to not knowing much about this new old cartridge. im not getting one but am curious as to any opinions you folks may have...

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Chad,the 350 R Mag is an excellent cartridge but not even on the same planet with the 30-378.Having said that I always thought it would be the perfect eastern thick timber and brush cartridge.Notice I didn't say gun.What hurt the 350 was the rifle it was brought out in which was the Rem 600 if I remember right.It had a short (19") barrel which cost it velocity and the magazine was so short you had to use semi flat tip or round nose bullets.If you used spitzers they had to be loaded so deep it cost powder space.Lots of folks had custom rifles made with 22/24" barrels and longer magazines which made it a whole other story.It is an excellent load for elk in timber,moose and very effective on bears.In a proper rifle with spitzer bullets it will take any thing in North America.Not quite the power level of a 340 Weatherby but close enough.Remington saw it as a brush gun which is why they brought it out in the 600 which was light and handy at close quarters.Unfortunately the gun cost a very good cartridge much of its power and velocity. :0a26:

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    thanks, that makes sense. the bud has a ruger mark two and loves it. he's also a big handloader and is on a short magnum kick these days. think he said his has a 22 inch tube on it which would make sense and of course he wont be using factory ammo. im invited to take it to the range which when time permits ill be happy to do but in the back of his head he knows he wont talk me into getting one. hahahaha