35 POUND CHANNEL CAT, CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, May 20, 2009.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have the picture in front of me and I am trying to find the link to the article!

Columbus ledger-enquirer published the story. Gary Gill of Columbus caught a 35 pound channel cat behind the trade center. It was caught on 12 pound test using cut shad. I am guessing he was striper fishing. The channel cat was 42 inches long with a 30 inch girth!

Now that is a great fish!

2. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Holy Cow! I can only imagine what went through her head when that thing started pullin'! :) ( Assuming she was targeting Stripers...)

Not tryin' to threadjack, but this website is so massive, I just want to say I'm enjoyin' your posts and I'm looking forward to meeting( either in person or in the virtual world) more GA BOC members!

If you find a pic online, let's see that bad boy! :)

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I doubt the pic will be online until the newspaper is a couple of days old, but I will post!

Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people. Good luck fishing

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Man that is one heck of a channel. Would it be a state record? Congrats to the person who caught it. Welcome to the BOC Jeff.

Tom

5. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    That my freind, is what I have been telling you about big catfish in that part of the chattahoochee river:cool2: I just wonder how many fish that big have been caught and is not reported.

6. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Now brother you know if I was down there in Georgia I'd show you how to catch fish like that. lmao.. They might be a little smaller..

7. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That is one huge channel! I believe the state record is 44 lbs out of the Altamaha, I've never caught one over 15 lbs here on Lanier.

8. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    shot you know as well as i do....huge fish have been caught that hasnt been reported....60 and 70 lbs blues for sure

9. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    How about an 84# flathead, caught out of a 600 ac lake on a limbhook? And never told a soul outside of some that saw him bring it in and dress it in his boat house? That is bigger than the state record but would not have qualified as it was caught on a sethook.
    And BTW, here's the official skinny re the state record:
    Georgia State Record Freshwater Fishes
    Catfish, Channel
    Weight:
    Angler:
    44 lbs. 12 oz.
    Bobby M. Smithwick
    Altamaha River
    May 18, 1972

Catfish, Flathead
    Weight:
    Angler:
    83 lbs.
    Carl Sawyer
    Altamaha River
    June 22, 2006

Catfish, Blue
    Weight:
    Angler:
    67 lbs. 8 oz.
    James Franklin Tyus
    Chattahoochee River (below Columbia Lock & Dam)
    April 1, 2006

So, you see, we have some big critters here in the GA waters! Let's give 'em a try - soon!

10. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    That is a great channel cat!

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I never could find the article online, but I did see it in the paper. It was a monster of a channel!