35 lb blue catfish out of leavenworth state lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by flat fighter, Mar 26, 2009.

1. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    Got a Knock on the door last night it was my neighbor standing there with a 35# blue that he caught last night. He was at leavenworth state fishing lake fishing for crappie with slip bobbers medium tackle and little minnows when this brute hit his bait. It took him 45 minutes to get it in. When he got to my house it was already dead which is a shame.:sad2: I cleaned it for him so at least it didnt go to waste. I also explained to him why he should have put it back.live and learn i guess? here are some pics

Attached Files:

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Trevor, Thanks for posting the pic and the story would've been better still swiming however you might of changed is perspective on Cpr:wink:

I bet he was like this is the biggest crappie I have ever felt:roll_eyes::tounge_out:Lol

3. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    WOW! That's amazing.....Hopefully he'll let the next one like that go.

Thanks for sharing!

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Trevor, congratulate him for a long grim fight at an enormous
    disadvantage! You get to hear a lot of crappie fishermen telling
    tails of getting spooled by some monster of the deep and that
    blue is a leviathan in comparison to most crappie. I hope he
    was listening to the good bits of advice you doubtless were
    giving him. Like I've said before, most people that eat big ones
    just don't know any better because they don't fish that often
    with success. Then there's the few who catch a lot of sizable
    fish and mistake us for tree huggers. Bitter, possessive folks
    with real issues about sharing resources or anything else for
    that matter. Takes all kinds, I guess.

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Trever tell you neighbor congrats on that catch. What a fight that had to be. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Pretty ironic there was a blue in there. Especially one that big. I talked to the KDWP a couple of years ago to find out what they stocked in there after they drained it over 10 yrs ago. Blues were not on the list. Looks like someone in Tongy are taking their catch from the river and putting them in there. :cool2:

7. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    That is what i thought to keith. I had a good talk with him. He wont be keeping the next one im sure. here is another pic

Attached Files:

8. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    That is a awesome looking blue. I will have to give him some props on the hard fight. I hope he makes some good meals out of it.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive had some big fish break me off at that lake before, back when I was undertackled and wasnt sure what I was doing. :smile2:

10. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    My pop used to have a place at Stockton Lake and i was out in the standing timber fishing for spawning bluegill with worms and a bobber and a size 10 hook on a 5 foot ultra light with 4 pound test.The cork went down slowly and the line snapped sounding like a .22 going off before I could loosen the drag or anything.So I had a 6'6 flipping stick with a ABU 6500c3 and 20 lb test so I put a mustad 3/0 J hook and threaded 3 whole nightcrawlers on it.I let it sink slowly next to the same tree with no weight. Before it got to the bottom ole MR Flattie picked it up and he was in the boat after a short but vicious tussle.21 lbs and he had a size 10 bluegill hook with a little tiny piece of worm right in the corner of his mouth.How ya been Trevor? Your picture just popped up in my computer screen saver holding a couple of dead tree rats. Gimme a holler if you're interested in going fishing sometime.It'll have to be close by my wife lost her job this week so money's gonna be a little scarce around here.

11. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    its funny cuz everybodys had a moment where they where fishing for something smaller and hook somthing bigger :smile2::smile2: