35 HP Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by kickin_wing, Jun 17, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am looking to buy a boat, and the motor is a 35 hp evinrude. I want to know what year it is and about how much it is worth. If anybody can figure any of this out i would like to know. The Model# is e35rcsm
    The Seril# is e0001375
    Thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is a 1980 Rope start 15 inch shaft motor.
    Fuel mix is 50:1
    Plugs champion ( what I would run) QL77JC4 and I would gap them at 35 or 40 for good idle and trolling to cut down on plug fouling.
    Those are some good motors. Find out as much history about the motor as you can. Like when water pump was replaced, tuned up and lower unit oil change.
    Take it for a test run and by all means do a compression check.
    For the most part they want to run it in the yard on muffs. This doesn't tell you much. That engine needs to be in the water under pressure to check it out for a trial run.
    As for the value that depends on how long it has been since it was used and how much it has been used instead of abused.

Follow your common sense on buying an outboard. This it ran good last time I was out just doesn't get it. They should bend over backwards to help you get it on the water to try out if it is in good shape. The less some one helps me in trying one out the less I offer.

3. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    just wondering if you can install electric start afterwards because i was with kickin wing and it was a electric start and he had a stearing consule for it

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep they made them so you can add elect start and remote control.

Acutly the fly wheel and starter for those engines were worth more then the engines. I would have to add it because I would hate to rope start anything.

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
  6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Evinrude used to use a 1956 ford starter and selinoid. might save some money, if it works. I am not sure when they stopped doing this.

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont think that price that the website came up with is right. It has to be worth more than 110 dollors. Let me just ask you Bubba, how much would you pay for a 35 hp Evinrude, 1980, with electric start and steering wheel, that ran decent?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If I found one that ran good and It had good compression I would be prepared to pay from 500 up according on how good of a horse trader you are.

If an individual owns it you will get it cheaper then you can get it from a boat shop. That site you go to there is a waste of time on getting a good price range.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

They quit using the ford starters and solenoids back in 64 I think

10. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    I went to that web site and all I can say is I wish I knew who they could get them at that price I'd have to take two:roll_eyes:

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That site is garbage, my buddy Fat fish has a 10 hp evinrude and it says its worth 70 to 90 dollors. Thats not even a deal thats a steal.

12. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I called the guy earlier that is selling the motor and asked him if we could take it out and test it and he told me that he doesnt want to because he is afraid that i will drop it in the water or break it, then he said we arent woried about if it runs because it runs fine acording to him. Now what kind of answer is that ?

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i guess he doesnt wanna sell it

14. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well thanks for all the info guys if you got any more fell free to let me know. Ill see what kind of a price he comes up with and ill get back with you guys and telll you if i get to test it out. The jon boat that comes with it is either a 20 or 22 ft Landau, the condition of it is, the transom is rotting out and will need to be replaced, the left rear side is bent in a little, the eye that you hook it on to the trailer with is busted in half, and a few rivets are missing. If i get to test the motor and it runs fine i am thinking about offerinf 700 for the boat and motor together. The boat will need some fixing up but its just minor repares.

15. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i mean if you need a boat to test it on dont hesitate to ask hehe

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Now that is the kind of person I would stay away from. From the sound of the description of the condition of the boat I would say he is an abuser not a user. Ask him if you can do a compression ck and listen to it on muffs in the yard. If the compression is up to 120 and even on both cylinders then it is salvagable.
    Look on the lower unit and see how beat up it is and take the bonnett off and look in the pan and see how much dirt and oil is down in there.
    I am very leary of one that doesn't want to test one.
    I keep an old boat handy just to test motors with.

17. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That boat has been abused. Unless you have expirience at boat repairs and a good shop I'd look for another one. This guy sounds shady to me. I bought a 14ft crstliner with 40 hp evinrude and trailer for 300$ at an auction 10 yrs ago. $ 700 to much to me unless alot of extras thrown in.

18. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    guys the boat is outside full of junk like cynder blocks and stuff
    the motor has been kept in a shed

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I wouldnt walk away from that deal Id RUN!!!!!! start looking elsewhers I wouldnt give him 10 cents for a boat and trailer in that shape dont want to run it well that means it either dont run or starts real ahrd or misses or the lowerend is in sad shape dont waste your time with that junk.

20. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've seen the type. Offer real low so you feel good about walkin away.

Every motor "ran good when it was put away" and that means less than nothing. Actually of they told you something was wrong it would almost be more believable. I wouldn't want a leaky 20 footer. That is a lot of boat to have to patch up but maybe it is worth it to you.

I went through fixer upper land and you should remember that repairs that you can't make are parts + at least $50 an hour. And you might not have any seats, trolling motor or a battery for one. You also need fishfinder, life jackets, etc etc etc. So your fixer upper could easily cost two grand and you could go buy a ready to go boat for that or close to. Maybe that isn't the case but just something to think about.

If you do, it sounds like a $300 deal to me. don't haul it down the road with cement blocks in it. That would be bad.