35 horse Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RiverKing, May 8, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i have a 1979 35 HP evinrude, and it is slipping out of gear and popping into nuetral, it runs fine if i hold the gear shifter in place, but it seems like the motor will jerk every now and then, is it okay to hold the gear in place by hand or can it damage anything, i have tried to adjust the screw on the gear cables but it is still slipping outta gear...any advice would be much appreciated

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    guess that was a dumb question

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The damage is already done, but you may be able to turn the clutch dog around and make it work again.

If you don't have a manual, get one. It'll show you how to remove the gear assembly and do as I suggest to get it working again.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    but is holdiong the gear in place okay, or will that damage other stuff, ho long will it work like that

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Right now it doesn't work right. If you keep using it like that the gears will wear more and the possability of fixing it like I suggested will go down the tubes., I've known the smaller horse power Johnson/Evinrude engines to run for several more years with the clutch dog revered in them.

Do what you want, I say fix it.