34# Snapper

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Creteus, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Caught him on a trotline in the shallows of a local lake. He had swallowed the hook and was bleeding what seemed to be quarts. I figured he'd die so I brought him back with me. Now where I had this trotline boats couldn't get so I was on a kayak. Tell you what dragging a unhappy snapper through shallow water and grass was no treat. He actually stopped the kayak twice. And I wasn't about to lettum ride with me. At that point I was going to cut him loose but I didn't have my knife and I didn't want to unclip him from my line leaving the metal clip hanging out of his mouth. Finally got back to the boat ramp and heaved him up in the truck. Once home I weighed him and started callin folks to see if anyone wanted him. Course no one does. So I headed out to the truck to see if he was stil alive. He had blood all over the bed and was sittin still in the corner. Looked dead to me so I poked him with a stike. In a flash my stick was half the leagth it was. Me and the neighbor managed to get his head pinned down where we could cut the clip and leader off close to its mouth and will be dumping him in the river behind the house. Can't have him in the lake eating the fish now can we:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    thats a big snapper.

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Wish I could catch one that big..:wink:

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's a bad boy, Matt!:eek:oooh:

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Hey heres one more picture that I took. They aren't very good pictures since they came off the phone. You can see here that his heads as big around as a 32 oz. poweraid bottle

Attached Files:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Smooth back is Ga.protected Alligator Snapper.Ridged back is Common Snapper.Not protected.Your rivers must drain into the Gulf of Mexico.You was lucky.The old common snapper has a neck that will let him reach a mile to bite you.I think they are scarce and protected in Ga.but common and unprotected in other states.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    peewee brother your a little confused. the common snapping turtle is smooth shelled. the protected alligator has the ridged points on thier shells and the trade mark worm on the tongue for attracting prey.

here is a link to the alligator snapper for id.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ligator+snapping+turtle&type=jpeg&no=3&tt=616

that was a common in these pics and would have made some fine eating. i seen turtle meat at krogers just yesterday. $9.99 a pound. sure hope he makes it.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea , you will know a alligator snapper when you find one. I'm a reptile freak so I let them all go.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks nasty enough to eat to me, he looks clean too.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Alligator snappers are protected in Arkansas.

11. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Alligator snappers are slightly protected in the states in general. They're considered threatened, but not endangered. As of last year, they just recieved some international protection as well. They're really cool looking turtles. They look like something from the triassic period or something.

12. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    just the other day I hooked a snapper in our farm pond that my dad guessed weighed about #25 pounds. we knew he was in there because lately we have found chewed up fish floating on the surface. I offered to drive him over to a near by creek but my dad shot him in the head with his .22 and says theyre good to eat...we'll see:big_smile:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Man does that boy look upset and all I can do is laugh at you draggin him home.....Great storey do you want to do it again:big_smile::eek:oooh::big_smile:
    Last year I had one in the boat a buddy caught and we had fun tryin to keep him down to get the hook out...couple times I was thinking bout giong swimming TWO of us in a 15ft.jon with a not as big as that one but up there ,oh and lets not ferget TICKED OFF ..well it was a experience I could of done without.They can get ya:wink: