34" Catfish rule

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catfishsteward, Apr 15, 2007.

1. catfishsteward

catfishsteward New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am new to this site but I came across it while looking for information about the 34” catfish rule. Has anyone heard if the 34” catfish rule is going to be abolished for commercial fishermen? I talked to a commercial fisherman last night who claimed that a few representatives are going to force the TWRA into allowing commercial fisherman 15 catfish over 34” per day at a commission meeting next week. He rattled off a few of the representatives but Borchert was the only name I recognized. This fisherman claimed these representatives are using their political pull to force the commission to change this rule. Has anyone else heard anything about this? It would be a shame if this happened but this commercial fisherman was sure that it was going to. He was bragging that they were trying to keep in under wraps so sport fishermen wouldn’t show up and stop it from happening.

2. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I haven't heard this, and I agree it would be a shame.
    It took it a long time to get that big, so feel it deserves to
    be left alone. And again I like the small ones better than the big ones for eating.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes we have heard about it, and yes we are doing what we can to stop it from happening. The fish that they are after have no meat value to them but, they do sell them to paylakes in other states for big money!!!

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    that's pretty bad, if each one took 15 a day it could ruin the fishery. i hope it doesn't happen for your guys sake and for the catfishes. give me an address to e-mail them and i will. tell them if that happens i will stop traveling down there and spending my money in their towns to catfish.

5. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    The bills were file under HB0091, and SB0396.

The house bill failed, but the senate bill is still in commitee.

The bill as define is to repeal the current 34" catfish regulation. Commercial fisherman, and sportfisherman alike would be able to legally harvest as many catfish of any size.

The list of senators on the committee is as follows

Sen. Tommy Kilby sen.tommy.kilby@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Dewayne Bunch sen.dewayne.bunch@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Doug Jackson sen.doug.jackson@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Lowe Finney sen.lowe.finney@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Raymond Finney sen.raymond.finney@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Roy Herron sen.roy.herron@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Bill Ketron sen.bill.ketron@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Steve Southerland sen.steve.southerland@legislature.state.tn.us
    Sen. Micheal Williams sen.micheal.williams@legislature.state.tn.us

Please send emails to these people.

Maybe someone should post under general catfishing about this and see if our brother from around the country will help us out with this. if nothng else someone should make this subject a sticky topic in this forum.

6. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There is a meeting on April 18th in Nasville. One of the topics listed is catfish regulations. I have listed the schedule below. The commissioners in charge are Mike Chase 865-522-3500, Mike Hayes 731-253-6878, Jonny Coleman 931-823-7345, and Gary Kimsey 423-337-7713. Please call them tommrow ASAP about this meeting!!!!!

TENNESSEE WILDLIFE RESOURCES COMMISSION

COMMITTEE MEETING

Region II Ray Bell Office Building
    Nashville, TN
    April 18, 2007

1:00* p.m.
    Wildlife Management Committee
    Boyce Magli, Chairperson
    Skip Simonton, Vice-Chairperson
    Buddy Baird
    Mike Hayes
    Mike Chase
    Daryl Ratajczak, Biologist 1. Tele-Check System
    Wildlife Division
    2. 2007-08 Hunting Season
    Preliminary Recommendations
    Boating Committee
    Mike Hayes, Chairperson
    Buddy Baird, Vice-Chairperson
    Johnny Coleman
    Jim Fyke
    Ed Carter, Chief 1. Proclamation 07-02 - Temporary
    Boating Division Suspension of No-Wake Zone
    on Dale Hollow Lake

Fisheries Management Committee

Mike Chase, Chairperson
    Mike Hayes, Vice-Chairperson
    Johnny Coleman
    Gary Kimsey

Nat Johnson, 1. Catfish Regulations
    Assistant Director
    Audit Committee
    Johnny Coleman
    Gary Kimsey
    Skip Simonton
    1. No Items

Retention & Recruitment Committee
    Skip Simonton, Chairperson
    Johnny Coleman, Vice-Chairperson
    Gary Kimsey
    Buddy Baird
    Ken Givens
    Don King, Chief 1. Tennessee's Wild Side Update
    I & E Division
    Government Relations & Communications Committee
    Johnny Coleman, Chairperson
    Boyce Magli, Vice-Chairperson
    Skip Simonton
    Mike Hayes
    Mike Chase
    Ken Givens
    Jim Fyke​

Nat Johnson, 1. 2007 Legislative Update
    Assistant Director

Budget, Non-game and Endangered Species Committee
    Gary Kimsey, Chairperson
    Skip Simonton
    Boyce Magli
    Mike Chase
    Ken Givens
    1. Contract Review

John Gregory, Chief 2. Real Estate Report
    Real Estate/
    Forestry Division
    Tim Churchill, 3. Budget Expansion:
    Special Assistant $78,000 - FY07
    to Director Cumberland Plateau Conservation
    Action Plan and SE Aquatic Habitat Plan
    * Times subject to change.

TENNESSEE WILDLIFE RESOURCES COMMISSION
    COMMISSION MEETING
    Region II Ray Bell Office Building
    Nashville, TN
    April 19, 2007

9:00* a.m. Thomas Edwards, Chairperson
    1. Call to Order
    2. Invocation
    3. Pledge
    4. Introductions
    5. Approval of Minutes

Boating Committee
    Mike Hayes, Chairperson
    Buddy Baird, Vice-Chairperson
    Johnny Coleman
    Jim Fyke

Ed Carter, Chief 1. Proclamation 07-02 - Temporary
    Boating Division Suspension of No-Wake Zone
    on Dale Hollow Lake

Government Relations & Communications Committee
    Johnny Coleman, Chairperson
    Boyce Magli, Vice-Chairperson
    Skip Simonton
    Mike Hayes
    Mike Chase
    Ken Givens
    Jim Fyke​

Nat Johnson, 1. 2007 Legislative Update
    Assistant Director

Budget, Non-game and Endangered Species Committee
    Gary Kimsey, Chairperson
    Skip Simonton
    Boyce Magli
    Mike Chase
    Ken Givens

Ken Tarkington, 1. Budget Expansion:
    Administrative Services $78,000 - FY07
    Cumberland Plateau
    Conservation Action Plan and SE
    Aquatic Habitat Plan

2. Financial Report

Adjourn

* Times subject to change.

SPECIAL NOTICE: Any individual with a disability who wishes to participate should contact the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency to discuss any auxiliary aids or services needed to facilitate such participation. Such initial contact may be made no less than ten (10) days prior to the scheduled meeting date, to allow time for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency to determine how it may reasonably provide such aid or service. Initial contact may be made with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency ADA Coordinator, Carolyn Wilson, Room 229, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Building, Ellington Agricultural Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37204 and telephone number (615) 781-6598.

7. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I talked with Phil King tonight and he has heard that at the Wed. meeting the TWRA is going to offer a compromise to commercial fisherman. They will offer them the right to take 1 34' fish per day like anglers. The problem with this is that they will take 15-20 of there buddies in the boat and keep 15-20 huge fish...a way around the law. Also, King stated that he has seen boatloads of huge blues, spoonbill, etc. in nets floating dead from commercial fishing nets. Also, he has personally seen commercial guys keeping these large cats in the boat and just trying to give them away to people on the lake rather than release them just to be a##holes. He (King) was even offered several large cats by commercial guys who didn't know who he was. This is one of the most frustrating things ever. The commercial guys have left the TN area and went to Alabama to ravage there area for large fish to sell. I have no idea where this ends. I said this on another post I wish these commercial guys would simply find a real job and join the 21st century. We DO NOT need commercial fisherman for catfish. I can get all the farm raised catfish at the grocery store or keep a few small cats at the lake. I few idiots are hurting fishing for our future, and the TWRA and politicans want to "Compromise".

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy and I have just now sent a e-mail to each of the Senators that Clovis listed. We hope it helps. We just wish we could be there in person Wednesday.

9. catfishsteward

State:
    Tennessee
    If you can, I think it would also be good if everyone contacted their commissioners to let them know that we support this rule. I found my commissioner at this link:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/comnames.html

Phone calls are better than emails but anything is better than nothing. You can bet that there will be commercial fishermen there in person on Wednesday!!!

10. Heath J

Heath J New Member

State:
    Cleveland,
    Let's push the idea that only 1 large cat per vessel versus person. Think that would work?

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Emails sent this morning.

12. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I contacted the TWRA commissioner in charge of the Wed. meeting. I feel the TWRA is 100% behind the law and in no way want trophy cats sent out of state. They wanted an email from me about the issue and this is what I sent. You can find email listings for TWRA comm. on the TWRA website.

I called you at your office on 4/17/2007 in support of the current catfish regulation. I live in North Carolina and come to TN to fish for trophy catfish every year. I feel that the current regulation has improved the catfishery, and will continue to improve over time as the regulation is allowed to expand. I bring in revenue to the state every year. Examples would be fishing license, travel expenses, food, motels, fishing supplies, and entertainment. I come to the state because of the outstanding trophy catfishery. If the fish were not there I would not come and spend money in the state of TN each year. When the current regulation was challenged recently in the TN House of Representatives I became concerned. I found out that the sponsor of the House Bill was Rep. Willie Borchert from Camden,TN. I called him at his Nashville office last month to express to him my concern over changing the regulation, and to let him know how many out-of-state anglers spend money in TN. He answered my call, but told me, "I don't give a da** how much money you spend in Tennessee...just keep your da** money in North Carolina." I later learned that he is a former commercial fisherman, and has even been quoted in TN newspapers recently that he knows commercial fisherman want to target trophy catfish to sell to pay lakes in Northern states. This regulation, and the meeting to discuss the matter on 4/18/2007, is of great concern to me. I appreciate your time and concern over this matter.

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks Price,

Very good email. I ran across a gill net strung across the Cumberland river about a week ago. I felt like cutting that thing into small pieces. But then that would make me about as bad. So I just bypassed it. It was in one of my favorite areas. I hate gill nets, they do not discriminate in what they kill. It's unbelievable to me that they are even legal in a river like the Cumberland. My email is on the way as well, I hope this all works.

14. Puddycat

Puddycat New Member

State:
    Clarksville,TN
    I have ran across these nets as well out on the Cumberland..... and all I can say is that "Brian you are a better man than I". While I do think that it is very important to keep pressure on the politicians to maintain the current regulation. I would like to point out there really should be no need for freshwater commercial fishing at all. For all of the money that commercial fishermen spend on boats, nets, gear and fuel over the course of a year, they would be better of starting their own fish farm. They can raise catfish to a good size and than sell them to market without adversely affecting natural fisheries. JMHO. I'm out.

15. catfishsteward

State:
    Tennessee
    If they are allowed one fish per person or per vessel, I don't think they should be allowed to use gill nets to catch them. We can't use them, so why should they be able to? I would support a gill net ban in TN and would sign a petition stating so!!!!

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    8 voted yes there was not any No's. Where is the rest of the people that should have been voting. You can bet the ones I voted will hear plenty tomorrow. And more when its time to vote again.

Looks bad for the 34" law.
    Rec. For Pass. by s/c ref. to State & Local Government Committee 4/18/2007
    REC=Rec: Recommended; Recommendation
    S/C=S/C: Subcommittee
    Ref=Ref: Referred
    SJR0082 by Beavers
    S. S&L GOVT. COMM.:
    Recommended for passage - refer to: S. Cal. Comm.

3/13/2007

Ayes................................................8
    Noes................................................0

Senators voting aye were: Burchett, Finney L., Harper, Haynes, Ketron, Norris, Tracy, Watson -- 8.

Hope for the best. But sounds like we will know for sure by tomorrow.
    Pete
    Also I received a e-mail today. And it stated there was only 6 or 7 of the commercial guys that were pushing this.
    Sure is bad when one elected official and half a dozen can change a law that is for the people.
    Pete

17. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I called the TWRA office and it looks like without all the specifics that commercial fisherman will be allowed 1 34" per day like anglers. There will be some other items added to it that will help. After calling I feel like in the near future that some new ideas and rules will come about to help anglers and protect trophy cats...so hold out hope. I was disappointed but also pleased with the things I heard. The real issue is that the commercial fisherman come as a block, and sport anglers do not to these meetings. I was told that the commercial fisherman came to the meeting yesterday as a group, and not one(!!!!!!!) sport angler showed up!! That kills our ability to help this issue. I am embarrassed that I did not show up on Wed. I should have just taken the day off work, driven the five hours, and made an appearance. I might have been killed by commercial fisherman outside the building after the meeting, but I would have died for a just cause!! The next time that there is a meeting we (anglers who are concerned) need to show up.

18. catfishsteward

State:
    Tennessee
    You are 100% correct Price. I called TWRA today and got the same message. The problem is the commercial fishermen do not have real jobs so they can show up to every commission meeting and lobby for their cause. Without any opposition from sport fishermen, TWRA eventually gives in to commercial fishermen just to shut them up. Us sport fishermen can’t afford to take off work two days a month just to make sure our sport is protected. We need to get organized so we can arrange to have a representative at all of these meetings. I truly believe if the sport fishermen all got together and pushed TWRA, they would be willing to get rid of commercial fishing forever. I think they want to but without a push from us they are not going to be able to. The squeaky wheel is getting the grease! Until we start making some noise, we should expect our sport to be taking a back seat to commercial fishing! I’m fed up!

19. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I bet those politicitian's will be eating fresh catfish in the near future..

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The deal is. The Commercial guys are told ahead of time when they need to show up.
    And they should have to tell everyone.
    Pete