34" Catfish regulation under fire again

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rwilley3, Feb 11, 2007.

1. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    You guys who like the ban on commercial fishing of catfish 34" or greater need to give your State Legislators a call. Here is the link where you can look them up.
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/
    It will be House Bill HB0091 and Senate Bill SB0396. They will allow unlimited harvest of 34" and greater fish if passed. A call to TWRA wouldn't hurt either. If any of you out of State guys want to call that would be great as well so they fully understand the economic benefit that keeping these big catfish actually bring to the State.

2. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the headsup Roger

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I agree leave the bigguns to the sport fisherman. Thanks for posting

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Roger,
    Used the link but couldn't find any contact info on their site. Do you have a phone number or email for them?...W

5. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    They don't make it easy for sure. You can click on the House or Senate and you get option to see leaders by name. If you loook back over where the House or Senate was listed you will see it has expanded and has members and you can enter a specific name and get it that way. If you want to read more about the bills you can type in the numbers and it will tell who sponsered them etc. I also found the following.
    All legislators may be reached by telephone at 1 - 800 - 449 - 8366

6. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Thought some more information might interest some of you. Here are sponsors and the counties and districts they represent. If they are one of your representatives please get in contact with them and ask them to reconsider the bills.
    SB 0396
    Sponsor Kilby - Dist. 12 Cambell, Fentress, Morgan, Rhea, Roane, Scott
    HB 0091
    Sponsors Borchert - Dist 75 Henry, Benton, Stewart
    Pinion - Dist 77 Obion, Lake, Dyer
    Fraley - Dist 39 Franklin, Moore, Lincoln
    Tidwell - Dist 74 Houston, Humphreys,Perry, Hickman, Maury
    You can also e-mail the Lt Gov - lt.gov.ron.ramsey@legislature.state.tn.us and Speaker of the House(my representative)speaker.jimmy.naifeh@legislature.state.tn.us

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They will keep on trying to get it through until theres a better law. I bet if one was up to make Catfish a Game fish. They would sure cry then.
    That may be what it takes to stop there acts at the bigger fish.

Pete

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Is this another attempt to 'sneak' a bill through? Didn't this same thing happen this time last year?...
    ..sorry this is my second winter here....been away 20 years

and thanks for the heads up.

On a side note: before the current law went into place were the waterways..well adult catfish populations decimated?? I thought i read something about Picwick. I remember when i lived here in the late 70's and early 80's...Picwick was the big hog place to go. Since i've been back i seem to have read that the Picwick dam area was decimated by commercial fishermen.
    please excuse my ignorance if i have offended anyone, i'm just not very well up-to-date on the issue or how controversial it is.

cyas
    robert

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Roger,
    I sent an email to the all the members of the house and senate asking that they not support the amendment and just received the following reply:

Dear Mr. Bush,
    I would be willing to bet that this bill is what is a "caption" bill. In other words, the contend is not the real bill. A caption bill is kind of a place holder bill that opens a section of law or code in order for an amendment to be created at a later date that completes the legislative idea.

It looks to me like Rep. Borchert and Sen. Kilby have an idea but as it is not yet finalized they have asked legal services to create a caption bill that will open the section of code that they need in order to amend the law when their idea is finalized.

I have copied Rep. Borchert and Sen. Kilby on my note to you. I am guessing that they will respond to you much the same as I have.

Most sincerely,

Susan Lynn

State Representative
    57th District

I'm not sure what "idea" they might be working on, maybe they will tell me if they respond...W

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here is a letter everyone can print out and mail off tomorrow.
    Just add your name to the bottom of it .
    Thanks we need all the help we can recive on this .
    PEte

February 8, 2007

Rep. Joe McCord
    4504 Montvale Road
    Maryville, TN 37803

Dear Rep McCord:

I’d like to offer my input about an on going effort to reverse Tennessee’s current maximum size limit regulation for catfish of 34 inches in House Bill 91 and Senate Bill 396.

Commercial fishermen seem to be arguing that they have a meat market for these bigger fish, but it is believed they are selling them to operators of “pay lakes” in Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Simply put, the fish of this size that they do sell are resources being taken from Tennessee sportsmen who buy licenses and sold to benefit sportsmen in other states!

Sport fishing for the larger, trophy catfish is a rapidly growing activity among sportsmen in states that have an abundance of them, and catfishing tournaments have become quite popular here adding important tourism dollars to our economy. Tennessee received national recognition in several major sporting magazines as the leader in this effort to protect the resource when our 34 - inch size restriction was enacted. These articles also spawned a lot of tourism dollars to our great state and now, other states near us, namely Arkansas, Virginia, Missouri South Carolina, Oklahoma and Kentucky either have passed or are considering similar legislation.

Lastly, it is my understanding that the effort to overturn the current restriction is being made by a very small minority of commercial fishermen in our state. I urge you to help all Tennessee sport fishermen by voting against reversing this very important catfish size protection.

Sincerely,

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Letter printed and will be in the mail tomorrow.

12. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am also convinced that commercial fishermen have really hurt the catfishing below Pickwick. I was there today and there are nets everywhere. I dont think there is an unlimited supply of catfish in the river, and am not sure the fish can sucessfully reproduce at the rate they are being harvested. Since I dont fish for a living I only fish for sport I don't know what can be done to solve the problem without putting some people out of work. Does anyone know how long it takes for a blue to reach 34"?

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Robert what you were seeing is Buffalo nets and spoon bill nets.
    I was raised below the dam there at the First Pipeline. And have see it all. My dad and his day fished for a living on the river. And I did it also for a few years.
    And Yes they can hurt the big fish.
    But not for sure about the smaller fish. As the river can only support so many fish.
    And the last few years the guy's fishing for a living on catfish are way down. I can only think of three that are still at it there. And they are not doing any good.
    I for one think the clear water and a few other things are causing the down swing.
    Will it get better?? Yes it will. The blues have ran in a 7 year cycle here for 40+ years. WE have a bummper crop of fish. Then it slacks off for a few years. Then in 7 more its like ever blue in the river shows up at one time.
    The for 2 or 3 years the fishing is great then slows down again..

This in only my thoughts. And I also see it all the time. We have lots of fisherman from Ms and even tn. That catch 100+ lbs per day and sell them. yes sell them. Some even brag about it.
    Then theres lots more that love to show off fish. But not clean them. They will catch a 100 or more lbs and show them off. Then if they can find someone to give them to. They will if not there lost thrown in a ditch somewhere.
    Now that is the people that needs to be stopped.. The same boats in the boils or there at the dam each and every day loading a few coolers full of fish. They are not eating that many fish. And the wardens should know it.

Pete

14. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wonder if these are the down times you talk about:big_smile: Today I fished around coffee landing and river heights never got a bite. I tried skipjack, shadguts, and crawlers. I have caught a lot of fish down at coffee but not lately. I didnt even see any caught there at the last July tourny nothing like the year before. I think I'll try the lake some and hopefully find a few fish before Mar 3. Thanks for the imfo.

15. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    34" rule in jeopardy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey CanePole!
    Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that they are trying to get the 34" rule rescinded again. There was a good article about it in today's Memphis Commercial Appeal. If you can't find it online, let me know and I will scan and send it to you. I know you were very vocal against them last year and I think that had a great impact on putting it down. I was hoping you could help spread the word and maybe put a post on the Tennessee thread.
    Hope all is going well for you and that you are catching many big blues. I don't have time to cruise through all the posts on the BOC these days and pretty much just stay in touch on the MS river thread. We need to make sure we stop this bill this year... and unfortunatley probably the next and the next. But if we don't let our senators know how us CPR's feel, the commercial fisherman may have their way.
    Take care,
    Matt

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I agree Pete, the same crap goes on below barkley, kentucky and smithland dams. These boil fisherman hurt the fish population a bunch, we need regs on everybody, not just the commercial fisherman. A 34" law is about the best way to go, put it on everybody. The net fisherman really don' t start getting the bigger cats until spring when they make there spring migration runs.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You guys in Tennessee need to all get on board and take some action. Hell, anyone who has fished TN needs to be sending letters to the folks there to let them know how the folks who fish for catfish feel. This is one of the situations where the BOC can use its power.

I guarantee you that they will not get half the letters from commercial fishermen that 1/4 our membership could generate.

Personally, as a non-resident who fishes there that objects to a regulation change, I will be dropping a letter in the mail to Mr. McCord today. I challenge all other non-residents to do the same.

I am saving some stamps and using the e-mail links at http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/ . This is going out with the morning e-mails:

12 January 2007

Mr. McCord:

My name is Dieter Melhorn and I am resident of North Carolina. I am a frequent visitor to your state for many recreational activities including fishing for trophy catfish.

My reason for contacting you is to express my dismay at the discussion of changing the current laws on the harvest of catfish over 34 inches. It is my understanding that this is being considered to appease commercial fishermen. I learned of this discussion on a website for folks who fish for trophy catfish, www.catfish1.com. The site has over 10,000 members and there is a significant interest in what is happening in the state.

Tennessee has done a fine job in setting a national standard for protection of larger catfish for recreational purposes. It has received national attention in the media and has brought countless numbers of non-resident fishermen to the state in pursuit of the fish. My fear is that allowing the unlimited harvest of these fish by commercial fishermen will damage the resource to an extent that will leave the state much less attractive as a destination for the trophy catfish.

While I am not a tax paying resident of your state the money I spend there for recreational purposes is significant. License fee’s, hotel bills, meals, and gas bills add up to a nice sum of money. Judging from how many states border Tennessee I would bet there are thousands more like me.

I ask that if this bills comes before you that you be the voice for the recreational fisherman and their concerns.

Sincerely,

Dieter Melhorn

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The out of state people that fish Should be sure to sign and do this. As your opinion means more to them. As they know if your out of state and coming into fish. That means $200+ the state will get. Some will spend more on rooms and eats and such.
    So join in and pass the letter above to everyone you know that will do it.
    As if we can cut it off now, And not let it get as far. As last year. That will help out more.
    It would be great if we could get 100 + from here to do it. And everyone then pass it along to people on there list.
    I heard that Theres a few going to be speaking to the Governor today about it. And a few people that are high enough in the food chain to get some stuff down are also going to be on the bandwagon.
    Pete

19. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    AS an out-of-state catfisherman I agree with the law, and has helped fishing in TN. I mailed out a letter this morning in support of the law.

20. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    we now have catfish coming from Asian country's shrimp and now i see restaurants selling crabs less that 5 inches point to point must be coming from Asians countries by the size every body wants to buy cheap . you are always going to have some people catch big fish and some never learn where or how to catch a big fish . i live in north Carolina and i catch big fish just about every time i go we have had days that we caught 15 to 30 fish 34 inches or over tennessee river is full of bait fish will take care of them self Santee cooper was stocked a small number of blue cats in 1960s there is 1 million pound + a year commercial fishing that is better then selling drugs or stealing .you have no shortage of catfish at least where i fish east tennessee to Alabama line if a fish has got cut up on a trotline i would rather it be cut in to nuggets and sold