33" inch pre-spawn female on ultralight

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Didgeridoo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Didgeridoo

Didgeridoo New Member

State:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Was out at my friend's cabin and he said the carp were running out there. There's a small creek beside his place so I thought great I'll catch a few.

Well I got there and brought my ultralight rod figuring they were just little guys. Haha. There was about 40 of them, smallest around 10 lbs in this little creek.

I tried for about an hour with a few bumps but no takes. I was just using a little mepps spinner. Tired of doing that I caught a grasshopper, put it on a small treble and tossed it in unweighted. After about ten minutes I got a hook up. Managed to land a big female full of eggs. She measured 33 inches and beat my personal best by an inch. Woohoo!

I was using 4lb line so I couldn't horse it in at all. The fight lasted about 25 minutes. I managed to tangle her up in the weeds and jump in and grab her. Took a few quick pics and released her.

Here's the proof. =P
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to go back prepared with canned sweet corn, dough balls etc. =P

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Man they sure are fun on an ultra light aren't they. I got one about (guessing) 22lbs on a Synergy ultralight combo a couple weeks ago. It deffinitely pushed that gear to it's limits.......I think it had six lb line on it, so I can only imagine your battle. How big is this creek? Is it nice and wide or is it a little trickler? When you go back remember your camera, cause I want to hear and see all about the trip. Thanks for sharing your story and pic...great stuff.

Richard

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Oh yeah.........dont forget to bring your swim trunks cause if they get much bigger you may have to go in and wrestle it out of there!!!!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oh my gosh, don't tell me you didn't have to use 80 or 100 pound test power pro on a fish that size. Almost everyone else does. lOL

5. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Awesome catch especially on ultralight gear. It must of fought like a tank.

6. rageroid

rageroid New Member

State:
    California
    Congratulations Dude. Catching carp on ultra lite gear was how I got hooked on carp fishing.

7. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Nice fish there! Especially on ultralight gear! I've never had a carp hit anything but worms, myself. Only ever caught them by accident when using crawlers for cats or bass off the bottom. Been told that corn is the best bait for carp fishing, but I've also read someplace that fish can't digest it and it kills them, so I don't use it.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice carp.

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    That realy shows your angling skills!!!!!! Well DONE!

HOPPY4