33 hp evinrude (post wingdam)

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by basebklyn7, Sep 5, 2006.

1. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    ok... well.. as you all know.. i have lots of problems with my boat.. almost seems like there is a power higher than me thats trying to keep me from getting out and fishing... anyways....
    i put my 33 back on the boat and had some lower unit work done on it to fix the problem i had with water getting into it.. all is well down there now...
    was out a couple weeks ago for a ride with a couple friends and was going inbetween two wingdams (marked with bouys and could see them plain as day) (ive been through this area many times) you follow these into shore and cut right as that is where the wingdam stops to allow boat traffic to pass through to go down the side slough to the marina/beach etc... anyways.. id guess i was traveling at the speed immediately before creating a wake (no wake speed i would assume?) and had my motor unlocked as i usually do.
    well... somehow i managed to cut the corner a little early and "thump" up comes my motor and thump again, it comes out the water again.. by this time (5 seconds) i turn the motor off. i throw out an anchor and lift the motor to inspect if there is any damage... does not appear to have any.. without starting the motor.. i check to make sure the gears are fine by shifting and spinning prop etc.. all is well..
    i start the motor and she fires right up, but is missing or running rougher than normal and smoking a little bit.. i lift the anchor and go to leave... still missing even at full throttle.. at full throttle it would run rough and have about 50% of the power it normally has... well.. i run the boat up on the beach and take the cowl off.. i pull the plugs and inspect them.. they seem ok... just like a typical plug would after a couple months use.. (these are expensive no foul design plugs, have never had a problem with them)... i put them back in and start the motor, still running a little rough, but after opening it up to full throttle, there is still only half power but is running somewhat smoother so i say to heck with it and run it the 3 miles back up river to the dock... no problems (other than it has half power and running kind of rough..
    i get her on the trailer and take it hope.. the next day.. i put muff on it and start it up.. and adjust the carb a little bit etc and for some reason is idling quite well today? (about as good as it ever has since ive had it) and without giving it full throttle (muffs on it, i wont open it up in the driveway) i give it about half throttle just for a second and she sounds great. so i take her back to the river to go for ride to see if anything has changed... she runs great at idle and up to about 1/2 throtte then starts missing again.. at full throttle she doesnt "smooth" out like she had on the way back up the river the day before... the motor starts up great each time warm and cold just as before.... and idles perfectly.???

what do you guys think happened during this wingdam encounter??? ive been told that the timing could be off now?? could it be something with the high speed port in the carb.. ?? the shear pin was not broken in the incident.
    what are some of your thoughts as to my problem... ?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It could have half sheared the fly wheel key. I doubt it but that could have happened. If it took a good lick the I would suspect that it most likely jarred something loose in one of the carbs. If you don't have the float setting just right in the rack it will starve the engine for fuel.

Now as for hurting that engine. If you have one that won't run up to full throttle then some thing is wrong and it will hurt that engine. If its running lean then don't run it long like that. I would start by checking the fuel system all the way thru.
    Where it conects to the motor Inspect that to make sure its not leaking or sucking air. It could have damaged it there when it bumped it.

3. 1 fishingfool

1 fishingfool New Member

State:
    il
    when you bounced the motor around you may have dislodged some trash in the bowl of the carb and is starving the motor for fuel.if you need parts or a good running motor i know where one is for sale that runs great.

4. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    thanks for the replies guys... i plan on taking a further look at it one of these days.... im gonna go through and replace the fuel lines and check over everything. i also plan on rebuilding the carb as im sure it needs it anyways...

fishingfool... could you tell me a little more about the engine you say is for sale... kind, size, price, etc...

sean

5. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    well i was just out doing some visual research on the motor, (thanks to me mowing the lawn and having to move the boat, i found ambition)...
    and to my surprise i found a slit in the gas line just inside the connector piece... the slit goes halfway around the gas line and with just a little pressure applied opens right up....
    i know this is not good to begin with, but could this be some of my problem... ive looked at the gas lines in the past (couple months ago) and didnt find anything wrong with them... but was planning on replacing them anyways...
    i will replace all the lines and try it out.. but was hoping someone on here could tell me that this might be the problem.. thanks.. ive added a picture..

Attached Files:

6. marlin53

marlin53 New Member

State:
    iowa
    could be at full throttle you are sucking air through the split. Which would cause the motor miss at full throttle.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Where it conects to the motor Inspect that to make sure its not leaking or sucking air. It could have damaged it there when it bumped it.

In my previous post.

Yes that could be the root of your problem. Lets hope so. small repair bill