31lb and 26lb Flat from Pleasant

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Blue709995, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    People were telling us we were crazy for kayaking all the way from the north ramp at Lake pleasant to the Agua Fria for fish that aren't supposed to be there... but I knew there were some bigger flats in pleasant then the ten pounders I have caught.

Took us two and a half hours to paddle non stop towing a four man raft with all of our gear to get there. Fished all night with a few runs but no hook ups. Started getting more activity in the morning.

Hooked mine (31lber) at about 10:30am. went in a tree took about a minute to get her out... put up a good fight. Snapped some pics and let her go. She swam away strong

Justin hooked the 26lber at about 11:15am his fought very hard. Snapped some pics and let her go. His swam away quick and strong as well

Kinda crazy to catch flats at pleasant... in December... in day light.... but it was awesome!!

Mine bit my hand a little while I was getting the hook out.. wow their tiny teeth cut skin fast lol

Attached Files:

2. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Here are the pics of Justin's 26lb flat

Attached Files:

SDcatatonic likes this.

3. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Here is a pic of both of them being released .

Just wanted to thank all of you guys on here for all the great info that you share with fellow cat fisherman. It has helped a ton!!

If you ever see my blue two person kayak out...come say Hi

Attached Files:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Worth the effort. LOL! Thanx for sharein.

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Dustin,

Congrats on the catches for the day. Just out of curiousity, what were you using for bait? I have never caught a flattie during the day and especially not at 10 or 11a.m.

It is good to see that you are willing to try spots that people tell you are no good or are too far away. It is nice to be able to prove people wrong.

Ryan

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:I CANT FRICKIN BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

THERE REALLY THERE!!! I AM AFRAID YOU JUST SET A NEW STANDARD AND OPENED A NEW DOOR FOR US HERE IN AZ. NEVER FISHED FOR FLATS THERE, NEVER WANTED TO ---UNTIL NOW!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, THIS IS THE CLOSEST LAKE TO ME, BUT I ONLY BASS AND STRIPER FISH IT. THAT HAS NOW CHANGED!!!! MUCH REP. POINTS COMING FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    CHUMMER----LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU WANT ME OVER TO YOUR LAKE TO FISH. LOOKS LIKE WE DONT NEED TO RUN TO ROOSIE NOW!!!! WHO IS GOING TO PULL OUT THE NEXT BIG ONE

LAKE PLEASENT CURRENT BOC RECORD 31LBS------

WHO WILL BEAT IT?:confused2:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice work Dustin! Thanks for the pics and the releases!

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    SWEET!:crazy::eek:oooh:

Nice catch, How far up the river did you go?

Great job.. I live 20 minutes from Lake plesant.. And have never given it much effort..

* I can't wait to go!!!

~ What was the bait, ( I bet it was a carp head.. lol):roll_eyes:
    ~A

10. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow man!!!! Great job. Thanks for the proof they are there and gooduns ta boot. You can bet i'll be hitting LP and probably often since it is right next door. Once again great job. :cool2:

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=376

Take a look in this section guys. A good write up and some decent pics like here and you could add this to the Member Braggin Area. It's an area set up for members to showcase some spectacular catches. Some good one's already in there. Just submit your story and let me know by PM you have pics and I'll send an email you can send them too. I'll do the rest. Way to go guys! Daytime Flats are not as uncommon as we all think. Thanks for sharing.

12. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Matt i have to work the next two weekends to make up for lost producftion over the holidays. I do have four days off for Christmas and four more for New years. Lets go!!!! :big_smile:
    This weekend is my sons B-day party too, so no go all weekend. I am thinking on going after work on the 15th and fishing until sunday night the 16th? Let me know if that works. I have to get the boat out. The trailor has cob webs growing on it. :sad2: Those pics have me real excited.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Congrats on your accomplishments guys, great job with a happy ending for the flats.
    Thanks for the story and pic's.

-Jim-

14. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Great job! Way to finally end the discussion about there being big flats in Pleasant. You can't do any better than with pictures. Very nice fish!

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey guys,
    I am not sure how far up river one needs to travel to find the flats. But this weekend will be the last weekend the river is open to boaters. December 15th starts the Bald Eagel closure.. Damn! I won't be able to swing a trip this weekend. Good luck if you do!
    ~A

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice fish bro.....thanks for the pics....What was the weather like there?

17. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Dustin-
    We were using four inch blue gills and cut carp. We got both of them on blue gills. I think Justin’s was on a dead gill. Got probably eight small runs on the carp. Couldn’t get to the real in time before they spit it. Must have been channels or small flats. Because the two that we caught took the bait with no hesitation.

Matthew-
    Thanks for the rep points man. Ya I had fished that lake so much for mass and stripers. Got tired of catching mini stripers. A few months ago decided to use one of the little green eared sunfish that we catch under the lights as bait and maybe catch a big striper. Two hours after I sent that gill down got my first flat… a ten… from pleasant.
    That event got me hooked on trying to get a bigger one. I know with all the food in the river there must be flats well over 31. I’ll be looking for them. I better have a boat by June 15 when it opens again.

AZflats-
    We weren’t too far up the river. We were on a flat near the big cliffs in the entrance. It is funny that we got bites on the cut carp because it had been in my fridge for about a week. Couldn’t catch one till right before we left. I will be using that tonight if I can get to the lake for a few hours.

John catfish young-
    The fish gods were looking out for us and repaying us for the effort we had been putting in trying to catch a big flat. Wind blew hard late at night and early in the morning but was very little breeze on the way in and was glass on the way out. So nice when you’re kayaking for hours. My shoulders are still sore. It was very cold late at night then got very warm in the day. I was sweating kayaking back lol

Well still looking for my disposable camera to get those pics of the ten pounders. Hope I find them. Let you guys know how I do if I end up going to LP tonight to fish castle for a few hours.

Send me a message if any one is going to lake pleasant and need someone to go with. I’m open most week day nights

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND INFO THIS SIGHT IS AWESOME!!!:big_smile::big_smile:

18. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Very nice fish. Way to go.

19. Shocka450

Shocka450 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm new here but must say... After that exciting catch, I am hooked! I just got done saying that I just wanted to catch a ten lber. I'll take the 26 for my first Flat:big_smile:

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    No kidding!!!!!

I fished up and down at Bartlett for years before I caught one over 20.. I can imagine you are hooked now!

Glad your here bro!
    ~A