309 Penn?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by perrycounty.in, Jul 28, 2009.

1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i just got a new 309 Penn only decent reel in town and i needed one then

just wondering if anyone has one or used one much

lookin for reviews i guess

thanks

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yup, I got one. Another brother suggested it to me for fishing snags. I put 100# power pro on it, and its a brute. Last time I stuck on a limb I pulled the thing clean out of the water and I couldnt believe it, I was a fairly large limb, lol. The drag is great. The winching power is great too. The only thing is, that its kinda bulky and the casting distance could be better. That doesnt bother me though where I fish I dont need to throw far. So bottom line is, I love it.

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    It's big!! It's heavy!!! It's powerful!!! If you hook a big ( 20 - 40 + ) fish you will be glad you have a 309.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been considering picking up a 209. I don't cast very far anyway and am usually in the boat. My only concern is the slow retrieve.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

6. nobullheads

nobullheads New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    I have one but have only used it a couple of times. i have problems casting it(for distance and accuracy) but I am getting better at it(no major backlash atleast). Other than that i really like it.

7. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    love mine but hate you have to engauge manually to start reeling unlike my big game 9000 great reel but you have to be more patient and rember to engauge before you set the hook

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'll be purchasing one of these in the near future...I've heard nothing but good things.

9. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have four 209's for sale. I feel there is no reason for a 309 if you use a superline. These reels have had minimal use and were used for salmon fishing. One night of casting for catfish is equal to one year of downrigger fishing for salmon. These reels have fresh 30lb fireline on them. Drop me a line if you want them.

10. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    209's and 309's are work horses some of the best reels that money can buy imo if you decide you dont like it i will be more than welcome to take it off your hands as well as many others will i would imagine