300 win mag

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by C Hill, Dec 4, 2007.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    how bad is their recoil? compared to a 12 gauge?

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    at least twice. My uncle has a 30 06 and it is alot like a 12 gauge, his son has a 300 win mag browning auto and it kicks alot more.

What are you going to use it for. It is alot of gun for deer. Just right for elk and up. MHO

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Tim, stop trying to scare him.
    The 300 Winchester Magnum doesn't kick that hard. Just about like a 3½" 10ga.
    Will :004:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you have concerns about recoil from a belted magnum I'd say thats the first indication its too much gun.
    Aint no gun worth a flip if the man behind it is jumping the trigger and popping that head up.

In my opinion, if you cant hack a 50-75 round shooting session its too much gun. Thats what its going to take to scratch the surface on its potential.

I love a high powered rifle I can lay the bill of my cap on top of the scope to shade my eyes and my hat never move when I pull the trigger.
    To me, it dont get no better then that.

5. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    I have a 300 Remington Ultra Mag and it doesnt kick that bad at all. Now understand it DOES kick.....but not near bad as a mule :smile2:. My personal belief is that my Beretta with turkey load kicks ALOT worst! Everyone is different, best advice...shoot it yourself and form your own conclusions. :wink:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok let me put my 2 cents in here. it has alot to do with how much the gun weighs, what kind of load you are shooting (round), and what you expect out of the gun. if you expect a 300 win mag to kick like a 12 gauge, then you are in for a surprise. yes they do kick, buck, recoil, whatever you want to call it. the more the gun weighs, the less recoil your body has to absorb. iff you shoot a gun that weighs 7 lbs instead of a gun that weighs 14 lbs, then your body (i.e. shoulder) will take twice as much recoil (kick). if you are afraid or nervous about shooting a gun, then the percieved recoil will be compounded immensely. if you are looking for a good gun for deer, then i think a 300 win mag may be a little to much. unless you are taking 800 yd shots, you dont really need that much gun for it. let me suggest this too you. i would look at getting a .308 (or 7.62X51) instead of a 300 win mag. they have a reputation of being the most consistant round as far as impact point, drop ratio, and sustainable inertia of all rifles. thats why military snipers and police snipers around the world prefer the .308 caliber over most others as their primary weapons. and they are great for ddeer as well. i have a CZ 550 Varmit with a floated bull barrel that kicks less than a 12 guage. i would recommend a good .308 anyday of the week. JMHO

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This is some solid advice and dead on from what i learned shooting both rounds. I have shots thousands of 300 win mag rounds and thousands of .308s and i settled on the .308 being my main rifle. 300 win mag is a great long distance power round, but for general use the .308 can't be beat IMO.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I don't know bout 50-75 round sessions. I shoot more pistol than rifle, and after a box of 41 or 44 mag yer hand can get a little sore. And I've got a single shot 12 ga. slug gun: one of the worst morning afters I ever had was a session of 35 rounds of just 2 3/4" 1 ounce slugs. I think Joey's right on the configuration of the gun. One thing I have noticed is the difference between the range and hunting. I've never hunted & remembered the shot. The focus is totally on the target, so there's a big difference. But I think Mark is right in that if yer "gunshy" you've wasted your money.
    I'd go a lil smaller staying in the guidelines of what game you are after. Lots of great cartridges to choose from, and it's hard to ignore the guys who do it for a living; when you need advice.

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    If its a paper target-the .300 kicks like a mule on steroids
    If its brown,ya never feel it

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Was all of this shooting experience part of your listed occupation?

I find it hard to believe that a registered gun dealer would sell you a gun with that occupation listed!Treasure him.It will be hard to find another like him.

You must lead a very interesting life.Are you a citizen?Did you arrive on our planet by birth or UFO?What species are you?

I take occasional trips to space.Morphine is my propellant.I do not use a "Space Coordinator" as the government regulates my propellant and usage.

I love you Brother.I love the BOC!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. Shocka450

Shocka450 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've seen a couple grown men get scope bit a few times with this gun. Just put a muzzle break on it and it will be half the kick.

12. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    :smile2:ROFL, you're right, It will nail you! I personally havent..yet. But I've seen what it can do. Its hard NOT to laugh!:smile2:

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Never shot a 300 but I do own a 338 and I don't think it's as bad as a 12ga 3 1/2" turkey load. Heck for that matter I have shot 20ga shotguns that kicked worse then a 12ga..

14. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    Ill be usin it for deer and boar. i was thinkin either 308, 30-06, or 300 mag. longest shots bein aroun 250 yards. which would be best

15. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if your longer shots are 250 and your longest shots are 300 yds then i would definately suggest a .308. i have my .308 zeroed at 250 yds and it hits right where i want it to every time. a 300 win mag would be way to much gun for those shots. i think you will be going a little overboard and also causing yourself more pain for less gain if you buy a 300 win mag. JMHO. if you have anymore questions just let me know. if you would like to know the ballistics of a round, i can tell you that too. pm me if you would like.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any particular reason you just have to go with a .30 cal? there are a lot of 7mm and smaller rounds that would fill the bill,as good as the ones you are considering,I shoot a 243 win. and if its this side of 300 yds its as good as dead.and it dont kick a lick either.

17. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    1. No. My real job title is "Coordinating Chemical Compounding Manager" No shooting involved there. I'm one of those weirdos that live in the desert and stock pile bullets, guns and ammo. Not so much anymore after the millenium past by. With boxes of 300 mags coming in 20 rounds and .308s coming in 50 "thousands of rounds" is easy to achieve over a small amount of time. Could put 100 to 200 rounds through "Maggy" in a day easy. My Springfeild SAR-8 .308 has 30 round mags so it eats up rounds quickly. Have shot many rounds through alot of guns, never said i could hit anything. :wink:

2. 300 Mag was bought at Walmart in 1998 and The SAR-8 was bought at JG guns in Prescott in 1996 or 7. I have never been in trouble with the law in my life, so no probs buying guns here.

3. My life is hectic with work and family but nothing exciting like batmans' or anything. Yes i am born and raised in the great ol USA and proud of it. Don't know anything about any UFOs but i heard i was concieved in a sleeping bag and that is why i like the outdoors so much. My species is "Pylodictis Olivaris Catchimus". In lamen terms that is "Catfishing Cracker"

4. Sounds like you just got a blast right before you wrote this post. I'm glad you are feeling comfy and giddy. :big_smile:

5. I don't know you so i can't say i love you. But i respect you being nice. I do love the BOC but i don't know all the people so i can't say i love all them either but i can wish every one in the BOC a Happy and safe Holiday Season. I hope that answers your curiousity.

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Watch John Wayne Close.Recoil never bothered him.Even with the blanks.He shot every time with the slowest draw,tightest closed eyes,yet killed more-.Oh well.Just pay attention and really watch him close next time.

Mark.A 22 Hornet is not a "high powered rifle".:wink:Now you could be shooting a 12 lb.bench rest 308,clamping it down in a heavy shooting vise or using a factory mounted "test barrel".I mention the 308 as you mentioned shooting it in another post.If you are shooting a hunting rifle weight 308 with the hat trick,I find your shooting phenomenal.

I would have to have a heavy concrete cap,tight chin strap,pined down firmly to my ears, with a rubber bib resting on the scope to duplicate your cap trick in the best of my days.My hat moves if it is touching the scope while firing!

I have seen folk who were rated as "experts" by the military and in competition use recoil pads.Also professional riflemen(anyone who makes their living with rifles).Let me quote a military competitor and instructor to the best of my memory."Have no problem addressing recoil and it's affects,as it affects the accuracy of every single rifle and shooter in every shot made"."Excessive and long exposer to recoil has even caused blindness".(Detached Retina.)"Folks with many eye problems including Nearsightedness,Cataract surgery,Glaucoma,severe trauma,etc.are at a much higher risk"."It can also destroy a human shoulder with excess recoil and time".

Based on my life's experience with the many claims of many shooters,it must cause a lot of brain damage also.

These professional folk have no problem addressing recoil and using recoil reducing items from expensive to a folded coat or bag of shot between the rifle butt and their shoulder on the range.Now these folk that I am talking about had put millions of rounds through thousands of rifles between them in their lifetimes.

The ones who have it do not have to worry about a "Macho Man" image.Thinking about and being concerned about recoil ahead of time is far smarter than being suddenly introduced to it.8 gauge shot gun,12 gauge with high brass Goose load,German Anti Tank gun as a child.460. Wby. on down as a young man.I often worked very hard to prove I was a idiot in many ways.I fired any rifle or weapon that anyone would allow me in the military or civilian life.I have owned rifles in 17 different center fire rifle chambering that I can remember offhand.I shot and hunted with every single one.

My worst kicking non military fire arm that I owned was my Mossberg 835 3 1/2 inch mag.early model with the un ported barrel.That shotgun even kicks bad with low brass shells.Is it design,my build,body deterioration or all?I will not send it back to be ported like the new ones.Every one that has shot it so far has the same opinion on the recoil so it ain't just me.

I have been kicked by 2 Mules,1 huge Draft Horse,two Shetland Ponies and a miniature Donkey many times.I don't remember how many times.Many cows and goats.Only the Anti Tank Gun kicked like a mule.The old 460 Weatherby was the next closest thing.Believe me,helping a farrier is much worse than a day on the firing range.

I have a Kleingunther in 300 Weatherby put away.I and others say my 336 Marlin 30-30 feels like it kicks more.This is a very special rifle bought for specialized hunting,which I never got to do.

The 308 was called for and designed to help the 30-06 sensitive military personnel.It didn't cure all so they went to the .223 for recoil reduction and ammo weight.It still did not solve recoil control in the automatic mode.The three shot auto mode is now suppose to solve it.?????

I see you are 14.I do not know your experience with firearms.See if you can find local help and possibly fire different firearms with your legal guardians permission only.You don't have to do wrong.Just being with some one who does can cost you jail time and the loss of the right to ever have a gun in your hands or even be where you could have excess to one.We are all different and hunt different.The old bolt action 30-30 rifle I have would have been excellent for killing 95% of the deer that were killed in my areas in my life time.I am 62.

As you can see most folk recommend what they like.This has many pros and cons.If any one was truly the best for everyone,90% would be using that one and 10% would be all the rest for various reasons.A shotgun with a 2nd.rifled barrel will do for much of the hunting that is done by most.

Cheap military surplus rifles have been used to feed generations of folks.I believe it to be a excellent starting center fire.All have been built to take a beating,be reliable and simple to operate.I have found most to be more accurate than Marlin & Winchester 30-30's.

The 308 is a good deer rifle.I bought a Spanish FR-8,shot commercial 308 ammo in it and found it to be a excellent Deer hunting & Hog killing rifle.It would be a great rifle to chase dogs with when hunting Bear,Hogs on foot or horse.I have known it to be highly recommended for hunting escaped prisoners with dogs in the woods and swamps.

There are a lot more good rifles and cartridges out there.I once owned 50+ guns.I was never satisfied as I always wanted another gun in another cartridge.I have seen a Moose legally killed with a surplus .22 Hornet like some military planes carried for a survival rifle.Shot placement first,cartridge potential is second in my belief.A .22 rim fire in the brain has killed far more immediately than a 300 mag in the foot,which will kill in a month.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Nah.I ain't on no goodies at the moment.I am just retarded with my Maintenance meds as they call it.

I saw your "Occupation" listed,laughed and figured you had a sense of humor.I enjoyed it,and figured you would laugh at what I wrote.Now it all seemed to be a appropriate statement and inquiries if that "was" your occupation.I have seen thousands of UFOs in my life.I have never thought a one was a space ship.I think all have logical explanations.Now I do think that as large as space is,something has to be alive out there and we may not even recognize it as life.Being I ain't very smart,I think the odds are that something out there has to be smarter than our smart folks.

Any ammo that I ever stockpiled was because it was cheaper than reloading it at the time.My only use for large mags is that I can load them to 1/2 of their capacity without weakening the springs.Necessity is the only reason that I have ever heated up or damaged a gun chamber or barrel.Bare hands and a hot barrel make for a P-poor club.It also leaves the bad smell of your scorched hands. I have no wish to ever over heat another.

Being it is hard to find a club in most deserts,may I suggest a bayonet for your rifles.

I ain't very good at anything.I am trying very hard to be a Christian.I got a gift with it.I do love everyone on the BOC.It ain't my fault.I did not ask for it!Some ain't my favorite but I love them.I don't have to like them.Also.I do my best to treat every one the same and say nothing that I would not say to my child or grandchild.That is also part of my faith.

If you ever get that other job,please let me know.If you get it you will probably fit right in with me and some more I know.Some are right here on the Boc.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee

20. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Here is my two cents worth. I have never shot a 300mag. I have a freind that has one and he said it kicks like all get out. Figure out what kinds of animals your going to hunt ''size",how far you'll be shooting. I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't a rifle if you shoot a whitetail in a thicket it will kick you down.
    For hunting here in arkansas I like a 30-30 or a 270 and you can site them in with out bruising you shoulder.