300 Win Mag for deer hunting? Whats your opinions?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BassCat, Aug 20, 2007.

1. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    What are your opinions on this gun for deer? is it overkill? Ive never shot one before, but caught a new one on sale for $250, and bought it, i needed a bigger rifle, but really wanted something like a 30-06 or 7mm.

thanks,
    Mike

2. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    My friends dad has one, and lets put it this way he hasn't had to track any deer since he's been using it.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I had one and although it was a good shooter the recoil on mine was pretty tough. But being a handloader I loaded it down to 30-06 specs and it worked out good for me. I used the full load when hunting Elk so it was pretty much a all around gun. Buying the factory loads to get cases was high but after that it was a OK gun. I bet you will like it and you got it at a good price.
    Bill

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think you got a great deal, but unless you need jello deer parts this is way to much gun for whitetails. This is a reach out and touch someone gun. I used on in Alaska for caribou out on tundra it was set in for 300 yards and when the caribou were parading right thru my camp I felt like a fool. I did take it sheep hunting but loaded it down ward with a heavy bullet, but it still toasted the front quarter on my sheep. This is just my experience, but hay you got a good deal!!

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im with will on this one. you got one heck of a deal. but make your shot placement count. a shoulder hit will rob you of meat bigtime.

6. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hunt in NC and I dont need that kind of fire power I like 30/06 or 270

7. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    You sure found a good deal. It would be a little overkill in La. pine plantations but you have the option of going after big game sometime w/ the same gun. Good hunting and good luck,

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You got a great deal depending on the manufacturer and model. I would suggest you have a muzzle brake installed which will reduce the recoil by approx 70%. This should equal approx a .243 or 20 ga. If you are determined to use it on whitetails then head shoot or neck shoot them. No tracking and little loss of meat but messy. Zero the gun for 3" high at 100 yds and you should be dead on at 300- 340 yds. Spend $350- 400 for some top glass and you can hunt anything in North America. 180 grain Sierra Game King is very accurate in the .300 mag.

catman george

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a great deal on any rifle. The .300 Win Mag is overkill for most hunters. Some situations with skilled shooters would dictate a shot with the .300 Win Mag ballisitics, but for the average 50-75 yard shot the rifle is more punishment than reward.

"...then head shoot or neck shoot them..."

Very bad advice for a deer hunter. The vital area in both places mentioned is very small and will result in a wounded animal that will die a slow death if the shot does not hit its mark. A heart lung shot is the most ethical place to aim for on a deer.

10. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks everyone, I plan to use my marlin 30-30 for woods hunting still, but i hunt alot of BIG fields, and will more likely use the 300 then. the gun i got is the remington model 710. the store i got it from was closing them out due to a new design.
    thanks again,
    Mike

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've always wondered why people are so quick to use the term "overkill" when talking about deer hunting. After all, killing them is the whole point. You never want to blow out both shoulders, but if that's the shot you have & you wanna take it, then it's your decision, your deer, your meat. The 300 will kill deer in a big way, and just like any other round.... if you place the bullet where it's supposed to be there will be minimal meat lost. There are lots and lots of guys that use the 300 winny down here in SW Oklahoma. Mainly because of the long range capabilities of the gun. I personally don't own one, but I'd like to have one. I hunt deer with a 7mm Mag & I've been told that's overkill as well. To me, killing the animal as quickly and humanely as possible is the point. Big guns + good shotplacement = quick kills. I know, I know, small caliber rifles will kill deer too. Heck, I"ve killed several deer with a 6mm and a .243..... so I recognize and acknowledge that the smaller calibers will kill deer as well. Hope I ain't steppin' on any toes, I'm just kinda thinking out loud.

I think you got a fantastic deal on the rifle. If I were you, I'd seriously consider upgrading the scope that came on that rifle (I think that was a combo, right?) so that your optics will match the capabilities of your nice new gun. Hope you enjoy it, regardless.

12. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC

correct, it came with a scope, what type of scopr would you recommend?
    thanks,
    Mike

13. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Sounds like a great deal on the 300. I have a 300 and plan to use it hunting elk.

When you shoot a deer in the heart lung area there is very little meat wasted. Shoulder shots will anchor them but destroys a lot of meat. Head and neck shots are risky at best. When most hunters take the shot at a deer they are under an overload of adrenaline and their thought process is cloudy.They need to aim for the target that gives them the biggest margin for error and still have a good killing shot.....this would be the heart lung area.

14. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Be sure to use an high quality scope, I've found the recoil from these tend to destroy cheaper scopes. I've found if I stay above the $200.00 range I have less problems. I use an leupold VX-1 4x12x40 with out any problems from the scope. Last year I was pulling my gun up to tree stand had it tied to sling and sling hold screw come out gun fell to ground at 12-15' up. climbed down and went to range. Got lucky the scope didn't take the brunt of the impact, the scope wasn't off at all. Could of stayed and hunted, but didn't wan't to take the chance of bad shot placement.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Its probably "overkill" as is my 30/06 or most other high power rifles. But who cares the whole point to me is a quick clean kill. Enjoy your new rifle sounds like you got a heck of a deal.

16. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i have used a 300 mag for whitetail since i was 16, it is an awsome deer caliber!it does kick and if you cannot shoot it without flinching or snapping the trigger it wont be the gun for you.i will tell you it holds unbelievable long range energy at four hundred yards it still hits like a sledge hammer.out of all of the deer i have shot with this caliber all of them but one have died without taking a step, it anchors them, if thats overkill ill take it.this gun will shoot as far as i am comfortable taking the shot ,i have shot deer out to four hundred+yards .back in my 30-30 days i got sick off seeing big bucks across a corn field and not being able to do a thing about it.now i can shoot a deer at 30 yards or 300 and not just hope i never get a shot over 100 yards.

17. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    A 300 win mag is great if you are hunting open fields where long shots (300+ yards) are the norm. A 300 mag will drop deer dead at ranges MUCH farther than the average rifleman can shoot. To take advantage of its potential range PRACTICE a lot before the hunt. Don't even dream of taking long shots offhand or with a lousy rest. Set up a table, complete with sandbags for a solid rest (kittylitter woks well) at the edge of the field. Place distance/wind flags in the field so you know the distance to the deer. Make a drop chart and tape it to the table. Reduce your range if conditions are windy.

Search for the internet for sites dedicated to long range hunting, they are extremely informative.

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think the word "overkill" has different meanings to different people. Kinda like using a sledge hammer to drive a finnishing nail in wall for a picture. Depends on the person and their skill and comfort level.

In the brushy woods 25-50 yard shotsin my opinion a 300 is over kill ,does that mean I think a 300 is overkill, no just in the woods and for me and me only, a 300 in open country, with windy conditions and 150-200 yard shots would be just right. So in my opinion and mine only the word overkill is not for the type of rifle but for the type of hunting and conditions.

I also have a comment on the neck and head shots growing up I seen this done a lot but it was done by people with a .22 that could hit a "nat" at 50 yards. I seen as a kid many a deer shot in the ear and drop like it had been hit with a sledge hammer. Now for the neck shot this is risky at best even with high powered rifles the theory is that the force of the impact will break its kneck the problem I have seen guys trying this is they break the spine and it only paralizes them not a sight you want to see.

19. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i used to use one when i was a teenager until it knocked me out of a tree stand. ok maybe it was because i was turned around and maybe it was because i was offbalance and maybe it was because i hadnt shot it in a while, still spooked me for a while. when i was younger i would zero it every 6 months or so and after about 5 shots i didnt want to shoot it anymore that day. they kick pretty good. but then i joined the corps and now i would take one in a heartbeat. if you are looking to reach out and touch something then this is a good choice. my personal choice for all around rifle is the .308, but for 250 bucks you got yourself a good deal.

20. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You got a great deal but magnums are not necessary for whitetail deer...their skins just aren't that thick. I have matching Rem 700 PSS heavy barrel rifles...1 in 308 and the other in 300 Mag. Both shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 groups with my handloads. I have killed 20 deer with the 308 and have only recovered 1 bullet...meaning they have all passed through. If 308 150 grainers pass completely through who needs anything bigger? Ammo is cheaper and easier to find...meaning practice is cheaper and more enjoyable (less recoil). When I go elk hunting someday I will be carrying that 300 Mag. If recoil reduction is the goal the 7mm-08 or the 260 are even better choices.

All the advice you've gotten on scopes is correct. With scopes you definitely get what you pay for. I own 4 Leupolds...all have a Lifetime Warranty for any owner...not just the original buyer. The magnification you chose depends on your budget, eyesight and rifle use. I personally prefer the VariX-III with the side focus knob and target turrets and a lot of magnification...as in 6.5 to 20 and a 50mm objective lens. I like to be able to see the holes I'm punching in paper at a long distance. Deer hunting and rifle collection is a sickness...welcome to my world.:smile2: