.300 Remington Ultra Mag

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by xringer3, Feb 24, 2008.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Yawl! I hope this is the right place to post this. I've just picked up a Rem. 700BDL in the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. I shot one years ago but had a chance on this one at a really great price at a gun show. I'm going to Colorado to hunt either (or both) elk to antelope. I know the lighter bullets are extremely flat and the heavier bullets kill on one end and mame on the other, LOL.

I was wondering what experience people on here have with this cartridge and what's worked best for them. I'd also like to hear from people who've reloaded this cartridge and if there's any tricks or things to watch out for when loading it. I've been reloading for almost 30 years from pistol to magnum rifle. I'm just interested in other peoples experties and experiences with it. Also finally got me my Marlin 1895CB with the long octagonal barrel in 45/70. That's the one I can't wait to play with. I think I've got Colorado covered!

Thanks in advance.

2. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I think that you can handle anything that comes your way . With a good bullet selection , I think that you could hunt from here to Africa

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hey guy,

great weapon, i got a 300 weatherby mag they are close, 150 grain for deer, go up in weight for bigger animals. 180 grain are great.
    go up to 200 grain or better is for beast's big bears

welcome to mag land:wink:

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Congratulations on the nice buy, thats a nice rifle. 300 ultra mag is one I never shot, but I don't shoot the ranges for that. Its supposed to be flat shooting, but hope your ready for the recoil. A friend of mine got one, he's pretty good sized, put 84 rounds thru his one day and was black and blue from mid bicep up. You got big game covered with that and the 45-70.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I finally got to shoot it today after getting the muzzle break and sims recoil pad installed. The lower power level ammo kicked about like a heavy loaded 243. The higher power level ammunition kicked about the heavy barreled 7mm mag sendero I've got. The best groups I got today was with the high velocity stuff with the scirocco bullet in it, gave me 1/2 inch 100 yard group. I'll play with it more later. I need to shoot some of this ammo up so I can have brass to play with some reloads for it. New brass is not available to reloaders till after june or later. Just have to shoot factory stuff right now and it's EXPENSIVE!

More later..........Vince

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    my bones hurt even thing about the 300. when i was young i would shoot anything. the older i get the more i become allergic to felt recoil.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on the new gun. Ive shot a 300 a couple times and I think Ill stick to my 06. Have fun with it.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's the cool part about the different power levels of ammunition for this caliber. The PL1 stuff is 30-06 level and with the muzzle break kicks like a 243. When I head to the western part of the state and Colorado, then I just have to change boxes of ammo. If my wife ever finds out, I'll be down to just one gun, LOL.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tried chronographing the factory loads today for fun. The lower velocity stuff (power level 1) was dead on the money of the advertised velocity from the factory and had the least amount of deviation from shot to shot I've seen from any factory load.

The surprise was the Power Level III stuff with the Scirocco 150 grain bullet. The factory gives it 3450 fps. The chronograph showed it between 3559 to 3598 fps! I think that's about as close to a lazer as I can afford, LOL! Can't wait to get out west and hunt over the corn fields again. Love that muzzle break and sims pad to. Shot over 30 rounds of the ultra mag and another 15 7mm mag along with some 45/70. Still no bruising or soreness. This is gonna be one heck of a versitile rifle!

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I dont want to make you laugh but get you a simms barrel deresonator, it will really tighten your group up!

11. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    havn't shot an ultra mag but i have a 300 win mag. i load my own ammo and i really like the barnes x-bullet 150gr doesnt tear the deer up but gets the job done quick,as a matter of fact the farthest i've ever tracked a deer is about right where i shot it....lmao. i would invest in a caldwell leadsled it is by far the best rest i have ever used, absolutly no recoil when you add somewhere between 40-60lbs to the sled and can add up to 100lbs if u want.before i got the leadsled i couldn't shoot but about 5 rounds before i would start getting jumpy couldn't get it sighted in very good being shy like that. anyway just trying to be helpfull good luck and congratz on new cannons:smile2: