.300 mag hang up

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kat in the hat, Mar 8, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, after 2 months of waiting, I finally got the opportunity to pull the trigger on my new Remington model 710 .300 win mag. Supposedly the rifle was bore sighted from the factory, and everyone, and everywhere I talked to about the gun said it would hit paper right out of the box. I was SORELY disappointed to find that this was not the case with my rifle. After 15 agonizing rounds fired today, I never found paper!!! $30 down the tube, and a big ol' bruise on my shoulder. Now I gotta start from square 1, and bore sight it myself, then go hit the range.
    Just thought I'd share in my experience because man my shoulder hurts, and I got absolutly nowhere. When you buy a new gun, bore sight the dang thing first. It will save you money, time, and in my case a whole lot of pain. It won't be so bad once I get it dialed in, but after 15 rounds, I wish I would've gone straight to step 1.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt you must be tough or hard headed ,Cause If that were me I know that I'd do something different after about three rounds.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...When you buy a new gun, bore sight the dang thing first...."

Ya, you really need to do that. Also, start out on some big paper at 25 yards and get the rifle shooting low, then move out to 100 yards.

I always like to put my targets on a large piece of cardboard when sighting in a new rifle. That way you can still see the shot if it is really far off zero.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Dang,I feel your pain.I remember sighting in my .300....:eek:oooh: ..shoulder still hurt just typing about it.
    Funny,never seem to feel it when game is in the crosshairs.:big_smile:

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    You weren't on paper after 15 shots? Good grief, you're a tough feller. If I wasn't on paper right off the bat, I do believe I'd have to check things out a little before I preceded any further. I can't imagine those shells are cheap either. An easy way to do that is to just remove your bolt and peek down the barrel at a target at 25 yards. See where your barrel is pointed, then see where your scope is pointed. That oughta give you an idea what the crap is going on.

Good luck.

6. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I never said I was smart. LOL! This is my first deer rifle with a scope. I didn't have a clue. I was going on what I was told about this gun. Never will I do that again. My spotter was saying "You're too high...still too high." Then I treid the looking down the barrel thing, but by then it was too late. My scope was F-ed. Now it's back to square 1, where I shoulda started to begin with. I'm not very tough, just hard headed, and maybe I didn't have a clue what I was doing. It's hard to do a rough bore sighting with a bunch of other people on the range with all the running back and forth, so I'll have to get it as close as I can at home before I go back out there.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Matt, eh, there are no el e phants on nort merica....that gotta hurt.
    :) It wasn't yer trigger finger ya lost part of was it? I got ya beat on the range though...one day shot 35 12 ga slugs out a H&R Topper single shot.
    My upper right shoulder still says H&R in nice blue lettering (backwards).
    In a mirror it looks like a tattoo.....:big_smile:

8. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Nope, there are no elephants in North America, but there are elk, moose, and grizzley. And maybe a buck that needs a little something extra to take him down. I don't like to chase game. When I pull the trigger, I want him dead. However, I did shoot a deer with a .220 swift, and was amazed by the damage it did. That deer went nowhere...FAST. And the pink spray of blood was pretty amazing too. Kind of like a big cloud of dust, but pink. A .300 may be overkill for a deer, but it will get the job done, and I can handload something lighter if need be, but I will probably just settle on some factory ammo, and stick with it.

LOL! It was not my trigger finger that I injured! LOL! 35 slugs must be treatment too. You are no doubt tougher than me. I've been whining all day. Can't hardly move my arm. I'm kinda boney, so when I shoot off a bench with my arm splayed out, the gun cracks me right in the shoulder joint. I think next time, I will have a 5 shot limit.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Yeah it's a treatment alright....punishing myself for missing. The recoil pad on the topper is one of the old models with the logo on it.....it really did inprint itself on my shoulder. Had to shave with my left hand for over a week and my wife just laughed her butt off when I came out the shower that night after the range session. For awhile there I was made by H&R!
    It's a great light lil gun, but man what a thumper.
    :lol:
    I took lock-tight and seeped it down the rear sight so it's sighted for me and the next guy will just have to deal with it. LOL

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had a hunting partner for 20 years that shot one of those .300's, his is a Weatherby. I didn't even like to be around when it went off. I've seen him gut deer with it and blow the front shoulder off a few. His gun had 49 foot pounds of recoil compared to the 19# my 30.06 has. That's a lot of gun!

11. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i personally am not bothered by the kick of a gun no matter how many rounds but if you are then why dont you buy a muzzle break it will reduce the recoil by over half and also can help improve your accurracy. i personally use a ruger no. 1 single shot with a falling block action and a manliquer stock in a .270 cliber and will not trade it for accurracy and power, a lot of people under estimate the power of a .270 but when you a have a bullet traveling at just over 3000 fps there aint much you cant do with it

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not worried about recoil either. Obviously, or I wouldn't have purchase a .300. I will say that my shoulder is still black and blue a week later. I don't plan on firing that many rounds through it again in one setting. A .270 is a great gun. I couldn't touch one for what I paid for mine. I had to find a gun that I could kill an elk with that I could afford. .300 has that extra reach, and better accuracy at a lot longer distances. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot on a deer or elk over 300 yards with a .270. It may be overkill for a deer, but alot of people use them for that. Gonna bore sight today. Maybe if I get my chores done, I will have time to go to the range, and dial it in.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Muzzle brakes are for the hearing impaired.:big_smile:
    They aren't firing line friendly AT ALL.

Kinda like a seat of the pants pilot refers to a tricycle gear airplane as having a sissy gear.

In order to shoot distance with any gun you'll have to get a grip on it, lay behind it and push rounds.
    I'll take a 400 yard shot on a deer with my .308 any day of the week but thats normally the distance I practice at on 2 liter drink bottles if I'm not shooting at golfballs or paint balls at a 100.
    Yep I have a range with measured distances not guestimations. I have a 1000 meter capability in the range. Maybe one day I'll get there.

Push rounds.

14. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i just want you to know i was not trying to make fun or talk junk i miss understood what you meant when you were talking about the recoil but i must say when you say that a 270 is not accurate over 300 yards well i disagree because it is a very accurate rifle over that and i can prove that and it is a very flat shooting rifle i have won a rifle competiton with mine and as far as hunting big game i have used it for black bear and the guide i used up in new brunswick uses a 270 for moose and has no problems with dropping one and says a lot of guys use them for bear and moose. i believe the 270 is a unappreciated gun and the magazines only care about big bores for big game and talk down the 270 in accuracy and power. maybe its the type of gun i have being a single shot falling block to help on accuracy but i can shoot extremely well with mine

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thomas I feel too many people these days get Magnum happy there are lots of cartridges that will work with less recoil and kill just as dead ,my self I'd rather get close ,within 200 yds and then make the shot I think gettin in the game is what hunting is all about,I also feel that with the Magnums too many shooters turn into 'Snipers also' just my .02 worth

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think too much stock has been taken in the term "flat shooter".
    If you know your weapon and you shoot your weapon it dont make make a hill of beans if it drops like a rock.
    Drop tables arent real world. Shooting your rifle is.

17. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    maybe your right and a proven theory is a lot of new york and ohio hunters can say that because hunting with a shotgun and slug you really need to know your bullet drop and i know some people who have taken almost two hundred yard shots with sabot slugs and i have taken a nice doe at 162 yards with a slug gun and the only way to do that is by practice so i would have to agree with you

18. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother bought a good quality shooting rest. Its cradles the gun and weighs about 30 pounds. We put sand bags on the legs also. You can shoot for hours and not feel a thing. The gun is strapped in and zero recoil reaches the shooter. Since the gun is only marginally touching your shoulder and strapped down, the shooter error goes away. No wiggle, no wobble. Makes sighting in a breeze.

19. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    now sometimes that little marginal error thats taken away is what makes you shoot the way you do now lets say for instance you have this slight flinch when you shoot everytime you pull the trigger your body reacts to that and can cause you to hold your gun different than the way you do with it being held down. how do you know how you will shoot if something else is taking all the recoil

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Easy!You fine tune it with the Rifle Rest,sand bags,etc.You then take it out of the rest and make any last adjustments you think is needed while firring it like you hunt.Best to write down all settings.You may have to go back to some.You may have to go back to the rest if you goof.You should shoot the rifle in the positions that you would take a shot hunting.I learned much of this from some very good boys(In my opinion).If you do have a bad habit that you have to live with,just learn your limits and stick with them.If 40 yards with buckshot is your limit,stick with it!Only the foolish think they are perfect and never learn this.When you make a fool of yourself hunting,you deserve whatever comes your way.We all have done it but there is no real excuse as such should have been eliminated before the trip.There is the best shot in the world and the worst.The rest of us are in between.The best shots are not always or seldom the best hunters.The great conditions of a range and the awful conditions often found hunting are two completely different things at firring time.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee