30 pound flathead catfish from last night

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catinaldatime, Nov 2, 2008.

1. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    dan and i went to coffeen,got a couple nice runs,and i ended up with a nice flat head,live bluegill,drifting.sry about pic,its hard with a cellphone at night.

Attached Files:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the story and pic's

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Charlie on the nice flathead. Enjoyed the pics.

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That's a nice fall Flathead

5. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Nice one, Charlie

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Nice looking fish, congrats on the catch and good luck in the future

7. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Nice catch Charlie.

8. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    congratulations on a great catch!!!!

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    im gonna try to make it back there this weekend,we were getting to many hits to just leave this hole alone,as we noticed we pull bigger flats from different parts of this lake.this fish came from a part of the hot ditch,we usually catch like 15-25 pounders,but they r getting bigger in the hot ditch.this year we expect to catch a 40+there.maybe even a 30+ pound striper.we expect to pull a nice one by the end of dec.im thinking its time for any hot ditch right now.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    sweet fish! glad to see you guys are still catchin em

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Stripe are just starting to pick up the cranks and jigs, been hitting the crap out of the sad, right off the island away from the ditch, there is the old channel along there and has a nice shelf they been stacking on in the mornings and mid afternoonish..... Also, if you been having any trouble with the shad Charlie, they been running about 3-5 inches off the bridge, in the sun. probably go back Wednesday, maybe tomorrow, spent most of today cleaning up and moving the outside crap at the camper, done just a wee bit much me thinks..... any who, you know where I am talking about on the island, 20 yards off the bouy you'll see the shelf on the locator...........

12. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea i was having trouble with shad,until u taught me last year:big_smile:now im a pro,na i can get shad,not on every cast but close.yes i know where your talking about dan and i actually got to cut that corner going to hot ditch,u know where them booyes are across the dam well last year we had to go all the way around them,this year water is up so hi we just went right through there,awsome.for some reason the water was cool over by the ramp,and perfect on the ditch.now i really need some 5=6 inch shad,any ideas?

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ya better watch that saddle there, there are 3 boulders on top of that thing that will EAT your lower unit right quick, Hence the unsafe water buoy :wink:

As far as the shad, right now Charlie, try some of the south bank cove mouths (the steep banks) like the 1st on out of the ramp cove, and they have been down about 6-8 feet, as ya know depends on the sun and wind there, also some bigger ones I have been finding down to the trussell you know where the big willow and just south of it there is a huge rock, stay about 25 feet off the bank, use your locator, you will see the water go from 5 feet to 29 feet immediately it is the face of the other hole, straight drop off, they are always in that area, It is a small zone but they are always there and usually run up to 8" Big and Nasty.... Like I said, once you find the spot, just make yourself a visual marker from something and they are on it all the time, day or night.........

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the nice flattie!!

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on the 30 pound flathead