30 pound blue catfish..a first for me.

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Rob Heflin, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Baited 6 "limb lines" or some call them "throw lines" last Wednesday at 9 AM. My daughter and I ran them later that day at about 6PM. This blue weighed in at 30 pounds. I caught it on a 7/0 kahle using a green sunfish about 4 inches long. I had the line set from a snag about 6 feet from the bank and about 5 feet deep in the outside bend of the river. I would have liked to have caught this one on a rod and reel.

She begged me not to put it in the boat! I laughed and laughed at her pleading with me not to bring it aboard. After she calmed down, she was singing a song about "Blue Cat" all the way back to the ramp!

I hope I can keep her interested in fishing and hunting with me for years to come.

Attached Files:

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Nice catch Rob, I love seeing parents passing on a fishing legacy to their kids..:)

3. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go! That youngin'll tell everbody she knows twice and some strangers!

4. HuntinFerChannels

HuntinFerChannels New Member

State:
    Illinois
    its good to see kids involved i know im still a young guy at 19 but i remember my dad takin me fishin with my mickey mouse pole when i was bout that size maybe smaller lol ill never forget those days the first thing i ever caught was a bullfrog i got my line tangled up and threw a fit so i sat down on the shorline my worm musta went right in front of that ol frog but he nailed it sent me running and screaming lol my ol man tells me about it every chance he has when were out fishing

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    nice catch and good to see the little one there. I love takeing the grand kids fishing.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    great fish, congrats

7. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Very nice cat,Rob. And yea, I'll bet you do wish you had caught it on a rod & reel. Thanks for sharing the photo. Especially with your daughter.

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Very nice fish there Rob. I agree with you, those fish that size are a lot of fun on the ole Rod and Reel but catching one that size on anything is a blast. By the way, I also agree with everyone else, it's great to see a father passing on the fishing tradition to the kids. She'll remember that fish the rest of her live. Someday she will say, "I remember one time when I was with dad on the river and "we" caught this huge fish". Then she will continue to tell the story and relive that moment and day all over again.

9. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Good catch man! Great job taking your little girl along too. I remember when I was that age, I never could wait til the next time my parents or grand parents would take me a long!

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations Rob, nice looking fish

11. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Congratulations Rob! I know that one was fun to pull off a limb line!

12. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great catch Rob. Glad your Daughter was there with you to enjoy it also.

13. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Nice fish! Big ol belly on that one!

I took my daughters out Monday and we ended up skipjack fishin mostly. Like you, I hope to keep my girls interested and going.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish Rob! I have never caught a blue cat.

15. morfhead

morfhead New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Nnooooooooooooooooooo Wayyyyyyyyy!!

16. droptines

droptines New Member

hey man nice fish.where are you in ms.im in florence just south of jackson.the picture by my posts is my largest caught frome the bank at 4:30 in the morning on a 5 or 55 hundred abu with i think 17 lb test.last year was my first year to fish for big fish and that one weighed 58 lb.

17. Dosse

Dosse New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Congrats on the catch, i know that was exciting

18. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    man, that's a hog !!!!! :smile2:

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That is a nice fat fish.

20. tomcat8

tomcat8 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great Catch....I have a 5 year old boy that I will be taking in a year or two.