30 Minute Rule

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mac-b, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I went cat fishing today, started late (after 10:30 AM) and the bite was late. Anchorded down, which I only do in tournament situations, because drifting (trolling) is my style. Decided to give each hole at least 1 hour rather than the normal thirty minutes. No bite at all in the first thirty minutes, but at 45 minutes the bite developed. This got me to thinking (very dangerous thing for me) maybe, due to the cold water (under 50 degrees) the scent of the bait does not travel as fast as when under warm water conditions or current conditions. Being on LKN I had no noticable current, probably wouldn't know current if I saw it in the lake. Do any of you catters have an opinion on this subject, if so, would love to hear from you. Also had two blues which had red circles or sores on their bellies, similar to what we see in stripers that hang around the warm water discharge at Marshall Steam Plant and McGuire.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm glad you brought this up because I've been finding the same thing lately.This past saturday on Lake Monticello my first stop after sitting there 1 hour and 30 minutes I didnt get a bite.The 2nd spot we sit there for 1 hour and 20 minutes without a sniff then a rod goes down.20 minutes after that another rod goes down, after another 20 minutes with no bite we moved.The next spot a rod went down after 15 minutes but missed the fish, threw right back out and the rod went right back down with a fish.We didnt get a bite for the next hour and 30 minutes and then 2 rods go down within 10 minutes of each other.The next spot we sit there for 1 hour and 50 minutes before a bite and then miss it(that hurts when you sit that long and then miss it).All these fish had mud on them like they had been laying on the bottom motionless and finally decided to eat.They where all quality fish also.I sometimes have a hard time sittin this long but its been payin off in this cold water.Spot hoppin like I normally do dang sure hadnt been workin.

3. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Mac, sometimes I have set for one hour to an hour and a half before I start catching some blues. If I mark good fish I will set as long as I can stand it before I move. Now If I anchor on a spot that didn't look that great to begin with as far as marking fish, I might not stay that long. Sometimes I think it might be fish moving with the bait that comes through and starts hitting , I agree with you though, I think they can be slow to get started at times. I have set on a spot for hours and it would be hot, cold , hot, cold, and catch the biggest fish of the day in the last hour of fishing. I would say if you have confidence in what your depth finder is telling you (marking fish) give a spot at least an hour. Then again, I'm lazy and don't like pulling up anchors too many times a day....:lol:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Notice how Mac anchors a lot longer in one spot before moving when I am NOT pulling up the anchors????????? :tounge_out:

Good question Mac. I like the 30 minute rule myself when fishing tournaments and pursuing big fish, but in a lake without current and no wind you are waiting on the fish to swim close instead of hunting down the scent so sitting longer helps.

I agree with CMJ, if it is a good area and there are fish or bait, it is probably worth the wait.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Maybe its not how long you sit on a spot rather than are the fish you marked on the finder active or not. Could be a timing thing or feeding patterns. Sometimes you can mark fish anchor on them and catch a few right away because they are active and are in the feeding mode, then for some reason something in the weather changes or another factor will shut them down. JMO

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Generally I go strictly by the 30 minute rule. But when the water temps drop and I know I am on a good spot I will sit and wait. This time of year on the local lake the blues will be scooled up and the actively feeding fish will be cruising around in search of an easy meal. You may sit there for 45 minutes with no bites and all of a sudden have runners all the way around the boat. I also agree with the colder water temp's do not create as much or as fast of a scent dispersment from your bait. If I see gulls dive bombing shad then I will head to them and generally you can pick up 5 or more fish before they move out. In a tournament its hard to sit and wait and I only have two spots that I will do this at just because of the set up that I'm fishing. But it can and will pay off if you have the confidence in the spot and patience to wait them out.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    LNBs

This is an excellent post and good topic. I think if there is current then 30 minutes should be enough to get the "word" out to the hungry kittys but if you really have confidence in a place and you know whoppers hang out there then an hour or more might be a good idea!! You know your bow anchor is real heavy!!

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If I mark good fish on the sonar I will sit there a little longer than normal and alot of times even if I dont get a bite I will stop back at that hole one last time before going back in. The last tournament I fished I marked 3 fish in this one hole and sat there 45 min with no bite and moved only about 25yards and sat there another 30min with no bites. On the way back to the way in we had time for one more hole and I went back to that same hole and in 2 min had 2 good bites(missed both of them) and then 5 min later boated a 6lb blue which put us in 1st instead of 2nd. So dont give up on them just be there when they want to feed.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Oh yeah the water temp was 42 deg and I was fishing in a river.