30 gallon tank

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mwhham, Jul 24, 2006.

1. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    just set up a 30 gallon tank for kids has some goldfish and some other small fish in it any tips on keeping it up and runing clean

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    use a large filter (40-50 gal) to keep the water oxygenated and a couple of algae eaters and a small catfish to clean up leftover foods

3. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks for info

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I agree with dreamer on the larger filter... those filters rated for the tank size are more meant for those following the 1 inch per gallon rule and well for bait it means you'd have 3 goldfish or sunnies to a 10 gallon tank... not that great really...Truthfully i'd go with something Larger that will last longer in the long run and not require such frequent changes...

5. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Please remember that goldfish are coldwater fish and most of the others you will find at the pet store are tropical, meaning they like warmer water. It is usually not a good idea to mix the two types. I have been keeping freshwater tanks forever and saltwater for about the last decade. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. The advice above is good as the main causes of problems are overcrowding and overfeeding. One warning...aquariums are like boats, you always want a bigger one.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Goldfish will be the easiest fish to keep alive. If you choose tropical fish you must use a heater, and they can be tricky to keep. If you can find some kind of structure to put in the tank, like cave structure, corral, etc.

7. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Water changes of about 30% are something that needs to be done once a week or atleast once every two weeks.

Simply siphon out 30% of the water and replace with new water. Be sure to get something to remove the chlorine found at most pet stores or at Wally world.

This helps keep the water clear and free of minerals that build up due to evaporation and fish waste.

Remember, fish keeping takes work and time, but it is supposed to be fun and enjoying.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

gold fish put out a lot of ammonia water changes and ammonia neutarlizers will save you some headache.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    ya may get frustrated at first, it takes some time for an aquarium to get established. then the natural process will help keep it clean. until its established don't over feed them, not too many fish, have a good filter, oxygenate, and have some cleaner fish in there. i used to have a hard time at first, and kept changin all the water, overfeedin them, etc. but then I didn't put so many fish in it till it got established. they interesting, but a pain to deal with keeping them up.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know but what the black salties will keep even better than goldfish. We had some left over from a trip over a month ago, and got home with 5 that looked like they were alive. I put them all (even the 'dead' ones) into a big storage container that was 1/3 filled with rainwater. Three of them 'came back to life'. After a week or two, I put some water in a goldfish bowl (not a tank) and put 3 of the salties in it. Since then, the 5 salties outside are still alive and seemingly doing well; one of the 3 salties in the bowl has died, probably due to overcrowding.
    I know that this is not an option for everyone, but if you dig a fishpond in your yard, it makes a great place to keep your bait fishies. I'm lucky enough to already have one in my back yard that's 11' across. I'm planning to hook up a filter from an above ground swimming pool to keep it fairly clean; plus getting a pool net to get out the oak leaves and net the fish when I need bait.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a larger filter will help like said. the outside the tank filters will add oxygen as it filters and to save $$$ since its a bait tank i just take the filter out and hose it off and reuse it. if the fish aer hanging out near the waterfall their isnt enough oxygen and you need to take some fish out or add a bubbler.

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    look at akwa-lung .com we make a stabalizing system for larger bait tanks and live tanks. it is a all in one system ,meaning there are three ways to clean your water ....machnicaly ,chemicaly, and biologically .and this system will do all three.

machanically.... water is forced through a screen or sponge filter '

chemically ......as water is past thru our nat chemically based media toxins are bound and absorbed within millons of micro pores.

biologically......as the water passes thru our filtation media millions of nitofying bacteria will colonize on our media to consume toxins naturaly.

http://akwa-lung.com/