Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
If you can, get out in a boat with a good depth finder/sonar and see if there are fish holding on the bottom and on structure. The blues should be relating to some sort of bottom structure at most times of the year. Even when they might be shallow spawning, some are still deep.
Take the advice you have already gotten on here and start fishing all over........but my advice would be to check out what is really there with a good depth finder.
Good luck.
Stay after it.......you will find them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can, get out in a boat with a good depth finder/sonar and see if there are fish holding on the bottom and on structure. The blues should be relating to some sort of bottom structure at most times of the year. Even when they might be shallow spawning, some are still deep.
Take the advice you have already gotten on here and start fishing all over........but my advice would be to check out what is really there with a good depth finder.
Good luck.
Stay after it.......you will find them.
thanks for the good advice. one thing i do have a problem with though is my depth finder isn't that great, and ive been looking for a good one but don't wanna spend that much. any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
well, as you know, good depth finders/sonars do cost a little bit, so my advice on that would be to hold off until you CAN buy a good one.
But, those lesser priced depth finders can do better than you think. Just remember, most of them are set at a default setting to be used right out of the box.
Mess around with the sensitivity setting and ping speed (if it has one).
I don't know what unit you have or how old it is, but it can probably do you better than it was originally set for.
Those automatic sensitivity settings are pretty low. Get out there and drift or idle really slow....turn off the automatic sensitivity and crank it up on manual setting a little at a time. My rule of thumb when I had a cheaper unit was to turn it up when I was seeing fish and/or structure and keep turning it up until I started seeing a lot of noise interference towards the top of the water column. The speed of your boat will have a lot to do with this too. You probably aren't running full speed down the lake looking at the unit for fish, but are looking at depth changes. Set it at a sensitivity level that will work well for you at a slower speed. If you mark a fish at 30mph, who knows exactly where that fish was behind you. You might have marked it, and then been 200 feet past where it was...........so I would really just use that depthfinder in slow situations anyway.

If yours has that "fish" symbol that indicates fish, turn it off and set it to show arcs.
Arcs will really tell you how big the fish is, or in fact if it is really a fish down there or not.
To me, those fish symbols are just like watching a cartoon.
Mess around with your settings and I bet you will see more down there than you are.
good luck.
chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahh thats a good point. and yeah the finder shows one of them fish. and idk i just don't trust that its a fish and it is like a little cartoon. arcs are alot better from what ive seen on videos and such. but thanks for everything from you guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.