30" Blue catfish limit

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by ronlyn239, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Talking with a friend of mine yesterday who fishes the Caney in Bartlesville really hard. He said he was talking to a man yesterday fishing the Caney, and the guy had some nice blues on his stringer. Seems the Game Warden checked the guy yesterday, and told him he had two choices......release two of the over 30"s or take a ticket for it. Of course, the guy released them, but it is absolutely great that they are checking.

Oh, and the warden went through his live bait bucket to be certain that he was only using perch, not crappie or some other game fish fingerlings.

Don't know the warden's name, but if by chance he is on here.....way to go!

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I thought the new 30 inch limit did not start until January 2010???????? WOW glad ya posted:big_smile:

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am glad someone is watching out. However I am a little confused. I did not think that their was a length limit on the blue or channel ONLY the flat.

I checked the regs and it was confirmed. I also checked the special regs for the the Caney river and saw nothing noting length limits.

I am a firm believer in following regs and obeying laws. However I do not see this rule in the regs. I do not fish the Caney, but I am more concerend with a length limit being enfored that is not in the regs (that I could find). This could easily have been me fishing my favorite hole and being informed I was breaking a reg. Perhaps is their a sign stating limits??

I am just trying to protect myself from new regs I am not aware.

• Caney River (Below Hulah Lake dam)​
    Methods: ​
    Bowfishing prohibited from Hulah dam downstream
    1,200 ft. to the Re-regulation Dam. Gigs, spears, spearguns
    and snagging prohibited from Hulah dam downstream
    to the confluence of old and new river channels. (Also see

“Tailwaters” regulations.)

Channel and/or Blue Catfish (B) 15 (combined) None

4. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    It is my understanding that the new 30" limit went into effect on July 1.
    The warden apparently believes so, also. You may have only one blue cat over 30" in your possession. All others over 30" must be released.

5. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    I just spoke with Jim Gillham, Game warden for Nowata County. The 30" length limit that was proposed has not been enacted. It was turned down the after it was proposed. It may be enacted in the future.

I also asked about the bait situation. If you catch a game fish legally, it is yours to do with as you wish. If you want to use it for bait that is legal. An example would be catching a crappie on rod and reel that met the length limit and daily limit you could use that for bait. If you catch it with a throw net it must be released.

I was worried about this issue after seeing this post as I am going jug fishing this tomorrow.

6. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I read the 2009 fishing regs, and have not found ANYTHING that suggests a size limit on blues for this year. The only thing i can think of is maybe it is a regulation for that body of water. Please let me know if i missed it.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/2009fishguide.pdf

Good luck,:roll_eyes:
    Jason

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    So what we possibly have is game-warden enforcing laws that aint a law???:tounge_out::smile2::smile2::eek:oooh: That sounds about right!!!! When someone can pin it down let us know...:wink: Not that i am worried i turn back all fish 10 & up may have to lower that to 8lbs but thats ok ...i did hear the bill law or whatever will pass by default somehow...

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hope for you guys sake you get laws passed to protect your trophy fish.

9. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Up here in Manitoba Canada we have a length limit of 24" any channel cat over has to go back plus there is a 4 fish possesion limit that includes fish in your freezer. These regs have helped protect and grow our world class channel catfishery up here Change is often hard especially after generations and generations of keeping large cats but in the interest of future generations of catfisherpeople it can be worth it in the long run. :big_smile: don't forget your camera in your tackle bag pictures last a lifetime and the fish gets the chance to grow into a GIANT!! :cool2:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm pretty sure the 30" will take effect but not till 2010...wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong but I think the game warden was enforcing a rule not quite yet in effect. The law was passed then stopped by state congress and finally passed by state senate I believe.

You can keep any gamefish for bait it's just got to be caught with a hook and not a net or trap. Also the gamefish in question must be legal size or slot limit for both state and local lake laws. There's not limit on size limit on crappie statewide but there's a min lenght limit on certain lakes for example.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  11. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    unfortunately this is not the first story I have heard about a rogue game warden.Then they wonder why they dont get our full cooperation.8 years ago my father and I were deer hunting and he had a game warden come to his tree stand at 7:30 in the morning and asked to check his hunting license and deer tag!!!!!!!!! I am glad he didnt find me in the woods,I would have wound up in jail.

12. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Ron was your buddy fishing the Caney right here in town or the Caney above Hulah. I'm surprised to here someone checking anyone on the caney right here in town. Good to here some nice blues are being caught on the caney.

13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Welcome to the BOC Mark. Good to have another Okie and a Bville guy on the board.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    hopefully this law will spread to other states,,,SOON too.:wink:

15. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris - you are correct the 30" length limit on blues takes effect in 2010. I am surprised with this gamer ranger. Get me a name.

16. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    rolyn239 - Get me the rangers name.

17. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The new OK reg will be in place Jan 1st 2010..........15 blue catfish per day per angler with only 1 over 30".

The new regulation is going into effect on Lake Texom on the Texas side Sept. 1st 2009.

Texas has also designated 3 lakes to have slot limits on blues. No fish kept between 30 and 45 inches on those lakes, and I believe anglers can have only one over 45 inches per day.

I hope this new reg helps bring back some of our 30 to 50+ lbrs. here in OK. I used to run rod and reel guide trips where I could catch 10 to 20 blues a day on Grand Lake from 15 to 45 lbs (I released all of them over 10 lbs and have for many years)........I can't do it now for sure! I would be lucky to average 1 catfish per day over 25 pounds. I personally started seeing a decline in large blues in the late 90's and truly hope we see some improvment in the age structure in the next few years.

Food for thought.......Most blue catfish born this year will be 10 pounds in 2019. Most will average 28 to 45 lbs in 2029 if the live that long. Beyond that, they are very very old. It takes a long time to grow these cats here in OK and we need to be careful not to overharvest the really old ones............

18. dobbie

dobbie Member

Chris they use to fish off of Cherokee bridge by Johnston park.That would be a good place to get checked by a game warden.

19. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Chris, this was in town, close to where Coon Creek enters the Caney. I know my friend wouldn't expand on a story, but the guy that told it to him could have fed him a line. I shouldn't have sent it on without checking the facts out, but it kinda woke me up.

My friend has been catching blues and flats all this year in town. He has 57 and 45 flats to his credit and blues at 29 and 31, all released, but they are there. He caught numerous flats and blues this year over 10. Most of them, including the 31, and the two big flats were on limblines. The 29 was on rod and reel. He using mostly live perch, and shad when he can catch them..

20. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    I'll personally be happy to see the new regs enforced, far too many brood fish taken when 3 to 10 fish are fine table fare. The last big blue I caught here on Eufaula was a 47 drifting, now your lucky to see a 25! I also believe blues school according to age class, but no solid data to support this.