30# Big Game ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyron4, Mar 14, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 20# Big Game on my cat reels, and the same for my leaders. I picked up a spool of 30# Big Game the other day to use for my leaders this year. It is thicker and stiffer than the 20#,(.004" thicker) will this deter cats from taking baits ? Is a 20# main line and 30# leader a good match up ? Also is the knot strength as strong on the 30# line as the 20# ,due to it's thickness ? Any opinions or advice ? -Thanks :big_smile:

2. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I use 30 lb. Big Game main line & 60 lb. Big Game Flourocarbon leaders.--there's not much difference from 20 lb..004 is only .002 per side.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike the size will not affect the fish.The know strength is stronger for the 30# if tied properly. I use 30# Big Game Solar for all my lines and leaders.:lol:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the only thing i can see wrong with useing a stronger leader than your main line is every time you get hung up you will lose every thing.and some times when your line breaks it breaks at the rod tip.thats buying a lot of line.id think more about 30 lb.main line and 20 pound leader but thats just me.johnnie

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I am like Johnnie. I don't see the benefit of using a larger leader then the main line. Am I missing something???

6. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I use the same 20# line for leader and snag and break off I loose everything anyways. I just thought a "thicker" leader would hold up better to rocks and the sandpaper teeth of cats during a fight. Am I thinking right ? I always read where guys use 30# main line and 50# leaders, thought I was doing something wrong. :confused2: -Thanks

7. ohiorivercat

ohiorivercat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use 40lb big game with 60lb leaders....just my preference ....it seems to hold the bait away from main line and stop it from twsting.....

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    mike i use 30# biggame all the way and dont use leaders or swivels the less knots the better infact i double up the line pull a loop out bout 6 to 8 inches tie it off and run it thru the eye of the hook then the hook thru the loop and draw it down tight with weight on the tail end iv always done it this way and have yet to loose a fish to line breaks usually loose them from to much drag or poor hook set

Attached Files:

9. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just bought some 30# Berkley Big Game line the other day, for my Ambassedeur 7000C3. And I plan on usin' it as a main line and a leader. And on my 6500C3 I use 25lb. Big Game for both main line and leader as well. Thats just how i like it though.:cool2:

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you want a better than average chance of gettin your lead back then use a leader less than your main line. (this only works if your hook is getting snagged, not your lead) If you need better abraison resistance and don't care about the lead then go with a higher test on your leader. If you go lighter on the leader and still lose your lead, quit casting there lol. Cast a tad shorter or use a different rig. One with a break away dropper.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use 30# Big Game Electric Blue on all 3 of my 6500s and love it. I also use it as leaders on my 2 6000s that have Mossy Oak 20# test on them.That Mossy Oak line is not too well known but its great in 20 and 30# test.

12. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if ur not worried bout cast distance,go as big as ur equiptment can handle.the cats wont mind at all:wink: