30-378 wby

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Bayoubear, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    before i start living on bologna and deer meat again to save my pennies am wondering if anyone has any bad reports of this gun. am not concerned with recoil nor cost of shells.

am seeking comments about the 30-378 weatherby magnum. i thought santa was bringing me one but he changed his mind. is okay tho... anyhow, am going to be buying one later on this spring. for any negative comments about this caliber id be most grateful. thanks.

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    This is from "CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD" 10th edition.
    This cartridge was developed specifically for use in 1,000-yard benchrest competition.

The 30-378 case can hold more than 120 grains of powder, compared to about 90 grains for the 300 Weatherby. With the advent of new slower-burning powders, increased capacity promises a usefull advantage to the handloader. (Recent availability of 250-grain, match-grade bullets served to increase potential benefit and demand for a chambering with increased powder capacity.) The 30-378 Weatherby certainly delivers on this promise: It is simple matter to load 250-grain Sierra MatchKing bullets to produce almost 3,000 fps muzzle velocity without exceeding 30-06 pressure levels-from a 26 inch barrel. Lighter bullets can be driven faster but with those this chambering offers less advantage over standard 300 Weatherby chamberings.
    When bullets lighter than 200 grains are fired from a 26 inch barrel, this cartridge is only marginally superior to the 300 Weatherby. Recently, tests have demonstrated that lighter bullets (150- to 180-grain) ballistics are markedly improved by use of slower rifle twist (1-13 to 1-15 works well), compared to the factory 1-10 twist. However, with 30 inch barrels installed, ballistic differance is significant with all bullet weights.

If you go to your local library it probably has a copy of this book for more information.

Hope this helps.

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    thanks, i had that data but gave you a point for your efforts anyway. :)

i plan on getting about four boxes of factory stuff and fire forming the brass and then rolling my own from then on. the friends of mine into precision shooting are all happy about my choice and the handloaders are discouraging me from it. odd contradiction there for sure.

im looking for negative comments. as in why i do not want this rifle. any previous owners have some light to shed? i have a lot of historical stuff on this chambering along with ballistics tables etc etc as well as tons of good reports from owners. ive yet to hear anything bad about it in the least beyond recoil and shell cost which for this particular round is understandable and expected.
    nada, zip, nothing, not a single bad comment??? leaves me scratching my head a bit... Hmmmmmmmm?

justa f.y.i.....
    will be taking the rifle apart from the stock and replacing it with most likely one from 'richards microfit gunstocks'... a semi custom design, thumbhole, xtra high monte carlo style, benchrest type fore end. will zero scope at 400 yards.

with the right loadings there is nothing in north america it wont be ideal for and arguably worldwide too. i really like the one gun for everything concept and this seems to fit the ticket.

thanks again,
    chad

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well I've had a lot of experience with it starting back in the 60s when a friend of mine and I built a custom version.It really has no "Bad" features other than it will use up barrels quick but if you want the most velocity for the buck this is your baby.I would say 26 inch is the least barrle you would want if you want all the horsepower it will generate.Weatherby finally brought it out mainly to answer the Lazzeronis 300 Mag.Me personally I would get a 300 Remington ultra mag.I have owned and used Weaterby rifles all my shooting life and own one in each caliber below 340.I have hunted just about everything in North America with a 300 W and now use the 7mm most of all.The RUM 300 holds about 10/11 grains of powder more than the 300 W and in a 26" rifle will very closely approximate the 30/378.I am having a rifle made up in 7mm RUM which is the 300 RUM necked to 7mm.I use the 162 gr boattail spirepoint exclusively and the down range ballistics surpass the 300W using the 150 gr.It simply has a much higher ballistic coefficient.The 30/378s usually come with a muzzle brake and please use hearing protection because it is LOUD.I would say the 180gr load is the best load for the 30/378.Todays powders offer much better efficiency than those we had in the 60s so the speed factor is much better today.Weatherby did some interesting high velocity work with this round for the government using very light weight bullets and for a time some tried it at Camp Perry with good results.If you have to have every ounce of velocity then this is your rifle.

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    thanks for the info. ive had my heart set on a 30.378 for a couple yrs now and of course have looked extensively at the other 300 "super mags".

i used to do some benchrest shooting so am comfortable in taking kills at distances that others probably shouldnt attempt and as such the last drop of velocity in this case will indeed make a difference. one stand in particular has a five hundred yard lane with a couple feeders and a food plot. stand itself has a benchrest built into it. i target shoot out of the thing in the summertime too.

only hunt about 300 yards of it now, maybe 400 if its a big one eating broadside to me but thats it. for this last 100 yards i think the 30378 will suit this case best. im tired of watching groceries walk into the woods at the end of the lane. while ive never lost a deer here in all the years ive hunted this spot, the 400 yard perfect shot is the farthest ill responsibly shoot. maybe scoped in right the 300 win mag will in fact do the job at 500 but that crosses my "ethical line".

am building a 300 whisper too, and in process talked about an hour to mr. jones and learned is nothing he hasnt taken with a .30 cal bullet worldwide.
    the elephant with a thrity ought six was a stretch but ive no reason to question his impeccable reputation. oh, the whisper? i simply want something different in my collection.

thanks again for the info,
    chad

6. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    best of luck to ya Bear. I'm not sure i'd even want to try a shot out past 100 yards. I am just ignorant but what the heck is a 300 whisper?

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    yhea no doubt about the 100 yard shots as most of them are about that close or better. its still nice to be able to reach out when needed. i sight in at 225 or a particular crossing or feeder and burn several boxes of powder over the summer. im not normally a big fan of taking long shots on whitetails but this one particular stand is an exception. instead of a normal box type stand its more of a platform, about four foot by eight, fifteen feet high, three foot sides and a ten inch shelf all the way around. i use my backpack as a rest. sits in back corner of a thicket with a 500 yard shooting lane in one direction, a 800 yard highline in another, and about a dozen little kill zones 300 yards and in. this is our main "grocery" stand and is really more suited to playing deer sniper than hunting. hence... my wanting the 30-378 wby

the 300 whisper. this is a wildcat made awhile back which puts a 30 cal bullet into a .223 case. designed to be loaded subsonic, hence the name whisper. is very very quiet even with high vel loads and can be completely silenced if one is legal to do so. the round was developed for taget shooters and at 100 yards its amazing how accurate this thing is. since its designed for supreme accuracy the 300 whisper is the preferred choice for black ops sniper types and some law enforcement swat units. velocity and energy being the trade off here, a google search of 300 whisper will pull up pages of ballistics data and historical info on the thing. im building one for myself but that projects a few years in the making and a few more to completion. isnt even on the priority list much less the back burner. merely something unusual to have in the collection.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I studied rifles and saved up for years to buy,a Kliengunther in 300 Weatherby,custom fit stock,with a removable muzzle brake,X-tra clip,military sling,trapod,a set of Williams open sights mounted.sighted in an removed before the 4-12 Swarovski scope was installed.(just in case),and a Lee Loader to carry in the case with the rifle.At the time,this was the widest range that I thought that I could reload,thus giving me the most versatile rifle of the time.People have killed varmints to Elephants with this cartridge.This was about 20 years ago.I had never heard of a 30-378 at the time.Mine will put the first 3 shots in a 1/2 inch at a 100 yds.They sent you the"proof"target with the load data that they did it with.HOWEVER,the most accurate loads in this and most rifles,are heavy bullets and mild loads.You are doing the right thing by thinking and learning all that you can.I forgot to get a piece to screw on the threads when my muzzle brake was removed.You are doing good,by learning all that you can.You are the one that has to live with the decision.Even reloading,Weatherby shells are expensive to shoot.REMEMBER,THE STRAIGHTER THE STOCK,THE LESS FELT RECOIL!My stock is 1in.too short,so that it will be perfect with winter clothes,and perfect to shoot with a,tee shirt and a recoil pad that slips over the stock.I have no kind of padding on the stock.Bare stock felt recoil seems to be a little less than my 30-30 Marlin.Best of luck,peewee-williams