.30-30

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by River_monster91, Nov 20, 2007.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    guys i got a question. 2 years ago i got a .30-30 marlin for christmas. i told my dad i didnt want a scope on it, but mom had one put on there anyway. my question is would i be better off taking the scope off and shooting iron sights since most of my shots dont exceed 150 yard or should i leave it on there?

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Scope is almost always better unless you are hunting in very heavy brush, It helps in low light levels and enables you to place shots closer for a more reliable kill. I have a marlin 30/30 also with a 4X scope on it and can bust a gallon plastic milk jug shooting off hand at 130 to 150 yards about 9 out of ten shots. thats close enough to drop most any deer in its tracks...

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    It depends if im in thick brush or woods id leave the scope off but if your going to be shooting in the open by all means leave her on there.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I prefer a scope ,But I shot steel cowboy silloett competition with my open sighted marlin 30-30 out to 200 meters and allways did well, shooting steel aint the same as shooting game ,a killing shot at a steel ram at 200 meters wouldnt necessasarily kill a deer.

5. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    leave it, iffen ya take it off, you'll regret it sooner 'n ya think..............

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    It's different with different hunters, bud. If you feel more confident and are an all-around better shot with a scope, leave on the scope. I prefer ironsites myself. Just haven't shot enough looking through lenses other than what's on my glasses. And like the others said, terrain does come into play. But only if you leave the scope on. Hard to shoot with a scope in extreme brush. And I'd imagine you, yourself, can shoot a deer in the kill zone from a hundred yards with ironsites off that thirty-thirty. And that's what counts, as it wasn't designed to shoot accurately much farther than that. It's made for the brush, and a brush gun is what it'll remain to me. If you want to be able to reach out and touch one a good distance away, try a rifle that's designed to do just that.

-Red

7. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Your eyes have to be much better then these old eyes. I have shot 200 yards with open sights. Even with a pistol I have. That was a few years back. If you are going to kill an animal and want to lessen the chance of wounding one the scope at 150 or more would be my choice. My 30-30 does not have a scope but I would not use it much over 100 yards. If I am shooting 100+ I would go to a different gun.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If for no other reason than to leave it on is your Mother bought it for you for a gift. Personally I have never used a scope on my 30-30 Marlin but with my eyes smetimes I wish I had one. However you have to do what you feel comfortable with scope or no scope.Finally decesion will be yours.

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    For starters, I would never exceed a shot of 150 yds. with a .30-30 anyway. JMHO, I don't think it has the knockdown power to cleanly kill at long ranges. Answering your question, I would most definately use a scope. Take tonight for instance. I just wrapped up the 2007 MO gun season. Even when its dark in the woods, my scope still gathered enough light to see when I couldn't with my eyes. Good optics are worth their weight in gold.:big_smile:

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Another option would be switch to see through mounts, that way if you don't want to use the scope you don't have to. If it's a long shot it's on there. Just practice with both.
    Chip

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Donnie I'd leave the scope on an try some of the Hornady, Leverevolution ammo in it. They got a 160gr load listed.....talking 200 yard shots, lethal. I've read two good articles about em so far, but haven't tried em myself.

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    30-30s are carbines not rifles.These days 30-30s have 16 in barrels and that makes them carbines,have you ever seen an old 94 Winchester rifle?? I never owned one but a friend did and it had 30WCF(Winchester Center Fire) stamped on the 24 in barrel.I had rather hunt with a 3006 but the frist gun I ever bought was a 94 Winchester and I love them.I stopped hunting so I gave all of my hunting guns but my 30-30 to my grandsons.The 94 I bought when I was a kid was stolen so I got another and someone broke into my house in 1991 and stole it too but I bought another so I still have a 94 Winchester.I've had Marlin 30-30s and I like a 94 Winchester much better + don't like a scope on a 30-30 because it is not as handy with a scope as it is without.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a Marlin 30-30, had it for many years. It was the first new rifle my dad gave me, instead of used ones. I had the over/under sites for mine and it worked out great for me. Just an idea

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have the best of both worlds. My Marlin 30-30 came with flip over mounts. It allows a low fit with the scope but it can be flipped out of the way real fast for a close shot or a moving shot with iron sights. I leave the scope off most of the time now because I have a 30-06 with a 3x9 scope for stand hunting and only use the 30-30 when I'm still hunting. After the first week of our two week gun season, deer are hard to find. That's when I take the 30-30 and go kick some brush piles and stomp around in thickets trying to jump them. It's a lot easier to get on them fast with open sights.

15. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i dont hunt, just coyotes, cats. thats about it for me. but i target shoot alot. i perfer not using a scope. it takes more practice. but i think it would add more sport to it

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I used a marlin 30-30 with open sights last year when we were walking brush trying to fill a couple tags. If I was walking I liked the 30-30. But I passed up two deer when I was blocking because I wasn't comfortable with the shot. Mainly because it wasn't my gun and wasn't used to the sights. I probably would have taken both shots if it had a scope or had been familiar with the gun and sights. It is really up to you and what you are confortable with.

17. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    im a scope convert. ive used iron sights on leverguns for the reasons listed but after having to let too many deer walk right at dawn or dusk im done with them. target shooting with open irons is fine but during those first few moments of legal shooting light- and the last few- 100 yards can be too much distance to count tines on antlers. (our rule for taking a shot) or even perhaps too far to tell a rooster from a hen too.

i place as paramount the ability to dispatch the animal as quickly as possible and that comes with shot placement combined with cartridge selection and distance. IMHO... and its my opinion... 100 yrds is the max...my opinion... absolute max distance anyone should attempt a whitetail with a 30-30 scope or no scope. my opinion again... if youre going to be hunting a scenario with farther distances then properly match the conditions and terrain to the rifle choice.

18. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas

ive used both the flip over type and the raised see-thru scope mounts and had a problem with both of them not keeping the scope on zero. i did prefer the flip over to the see thru.

one way i dealt with target aquisition at close ranges is lots of practice... never ever close the other eye when using a scope. keep that other eye open always no matter what you may be doing. practice at the range with close and far targets. raise up, find target, three shot group all in under about fifteen seconds. the key to this is setting the scope along with your length of pull to be exact so when you raise up your field of view is automaically perfect. in other words you use both eyes at once to instantly find the target and see the aligned crosshairs.