30-30 win.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by John(Bullhead)Hagen, Nov 18, 2008.

1. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Is a 30-30 shooting a 150 grain bullet good enough for deer at 100 yards and will it reach out to 200 yards and what is the drop in inches at that range if it is zeroed in at 100 yardsI can hit a 1.5 inch circle at 100 yards.The bullets are Win. power point. Thanks i have only used slugs before now.John

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,The 150 gr is plenty for deer at 100,I used to shoot steel silhoetts with mine ,I shot the rams at 200 meters with 170 gr ,It took alot to knock down a 50 lb ram at that range. As for the drop,Go to the winchester ammo web site . There should be a ballistic table for that load .

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i shoot winchester 170grain outa my marlin .30-30 and ive dropped deer with it. the .30-30 is one of the most used deer rifles developed. it will do well at 100 yards but its a heavy bullet and being blunt nosed does not help long distances and will have a pretty high drop at 200 yard. i would limit myself to 100-125 yard shots unless your fully confident that you can drop the deer at 200. i wish ya the best of luck

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've killed plenty of deer with mine out to 200 yards. The trick is to sight in a few inches high at 100 yards. You won't miss at close range. Check the ballistic charts. I use 170-180 grain bullets so they retain more energy down range. According to one of my charts, a 150 grain bullet sighted for "zero" at 100 yards, will hit 7 inches low at two hundred yards. If you sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards, it will hit only 4" low at 200. However the energy is another factor. That is why I'd recommend a heaver bullet. This is for good for a broadside shot but certainly not a good choice for a "Texas heart shot."
    This comes from another source:
    ["If the 30-30 shooting a 150 grain bullet at 2390 fps is an optimum mule deer caliber at 205 yards, it is more than sufficient at shorter distances. Conversely, this does not mean that the 150 grain 30-30 bullet will not kill a 200 pound deer at 225 yards; it just means that it is past its optimum range for that size game at ranges beyond 205 yards. If most of your anticipated shots at deer will be between 50-150 yards, with maybe an occasional long shot out to about 200 yards, the 30-30 with the 150 grain bullet would be an excellent choice. But if the majority of your anticipated shots will be around 200 yards, with occasional opportunities at considerably longer range, another caliber might be a better choice."]

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    While not a good choice for wide open spaces the 30-30 is hard to beat for hunting timber with brush. I am confident with one at 200 hundred yards for whitetails. Helk, Many moose every year are killed with the 30-30. I have other guns but love hunting with mine often.
    Take a look at Hornady's new ammo, it is an improvement over the round nose loads and can be used in a tube mag, plus it's a 160 grain.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    that is plenty of power! i shoot a 30-30 marlin with the same shells and itll knock a deer pretty well at 100 yards. might not drop him mind you but nothin wrong with a little trackin. if youre that accurate the deer wont go that far to begin with. i cant tell you the drop but my uncle always told me that if hes at 150 and ur scopes sighted at 100 to aim for the top of his back if that helps. good luck and happy hunting brother!

7. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I own a Winchester model 94 30-30 lever action with a side mount scope I got from my dad. I have only used the Remington core-lokt 150 grain in it. At 100-150 yard it will take any deer or hog down. The best advice i can give you is select a your choice of bullet and practice shooting with it. The more you practice the more confident you will be that you can put the bullet where you want it.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I believe bigger is better. Leave the 30-30 at home. Grab a 7mm mag or 300 mag and make a head shot. I have never failed to drop adeer with a head shot w/ my 7mm. Yes,it's messy. But,I don't hunt for antlers. No matter how you cook antlers,they're still tough.
    By no means am I downplaying the 30-30. I have 1 and am looking at another. They just don't have the ability to reach out and touch the deer, imo. Awesome gun in the mesquite and sage brush of west TEXAS.

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i was just fixing to ask if anyone has tried that new ammo. ive heard that they were shooting real tight groups and 200 yards. i think i might buy some

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Zeroed at 100 Yds. your bullet will hit about 7 inches low at 200yds. Yes it will take deer at 100 yds. And at 200 With a well placed shot. I own a 30/30 myself and would feel completely safe taking a 200yd. shot with it.

11. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Thanks for all the information guys .The hunt came together very well.And the 30-30 worked great ,75 yards ran 50 feet 150 yards ran about the same.Used the same aim mark for both shots not that much difference in were it hit maybe a inch.Well thanks again John(OleBullhead)Hagen