30/30 for deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by okiecop, Nov 20, 2005.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    OK here I am too late for this year but hopefully next year. I was raised as a bird hunter and fisherman. So i was never taught to hunt deer. even though i am getting buck fever. I was wondering if a 30/30 is a good round/weapon to shoot deer with? I know from growing up around farmers that they are great for coyote. just haven't heard of anyone going after deer with them. Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    As a field and stream once put it the winchester 94 30-30 is responcible for killing more deer than anyother gun. I own one my self but Indiana doesn't offer a rifle season for deer so sucks to be me. They are a great brush gun but for far field shots i dont recomend them. What type of 30-30 do you have? And where are you from cause you need to check to see if in your state you can use a rifle. I would try to keep all of you shots in the 100 yard range. Inside of that they have a great takedown power.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I gott a agree, I've always heard more deer have been harvested w/ a .30-30 than any other rifle.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My dad killed several deer the years he lived in Arkansas. He never owned but one deer rifle and that was a Winchester model 94 30-30. I have it now but I don't hunt.

5. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    If you're hunting the wide open expanses of Oklahoma I'd recommend a caliber different than the 30/30. Most of your shots would be further than what the 30/30 is capable of. Now if you'll be hunting in the brush, or in a place that will limit your shots to less than 100 yards, you'll be fine. God bless.

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    "more deer killed w/ a 30-30"

heard that all my life as well however id be willing to bet that statistic has shifted over the past decade or two to either a 270 or a 30-06. an opinion seconded by one of the recent hunting/gun mags. the 30-30 is a very popular rifle due largely in part to the fact that so darn many of them were made. its been around quite a long time and as far as rifles go its still quite inexpensive.

ive had one, and dont like it. range is quite limited- 100 yards and closer, the velocity and power leave a lot to be desired, and the trajectory somewhat resembles that of an artillery shell. YES lots of animals have been harvested with one and it continues to be a viable choice for whitetail deer. im a big fan of "match the caliber to the conditions" and im not saying the 30-30 is that bad however... there are other calibers that outperform the 30-30 by such a wide margin it just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense to use one in this day and age.

remington is the main one i use, but winchester and federal have them too... online ballistics tables that allow you to compare up to a few different cartridges at once. select similar bullet types and weights and run a 30-30 vs. a 30-06 and compare. run it vs. a .300 win mag for an even more dramatic result.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yes absolutely depending on how and where you're planning to use it. Where I hunt here in Tennessee it is a very good rifle for deer hunting. I have one and used it the first 6 or 7 years I hunted here. But in all that time I can only remember one time of taking a shot over 100 yards. Bayoubear said something that is very true.

If you are gonna be hunting in an area like I live in, it's a great rifle and will perform great. It's heavily forested here and most shots are taken at under 75 yards. If you're gonna be hunting in Colorado or somewhere where you have long clear shots, then it's not going to be a great rifle for you and you'll need a better, longer shooting rifle. I really like mine, it's a Marlin 366C. I went with Marlin because I just like the side ejection system better and the scope mounts low and right on top like any other rifle. Winchester's on the other hand have top ejection and the scope mounts off-center to the barrel. Just my preference there. I have a friend that hand-loads all my bullets for me and I used to practice with that rifle all the time. I knew with those bullets how it's ballistics worked and could consistently put 5 bullets within a 3 inch circle around the bullseye on a 150 yard target. I had about a 5 inch drop at that range. But that's about as far as I would ever try a shot with it. After that it's not got a lot of energy left compared to anything else out there. I'd also say it's a good choice if you're just starting to deer hunt because it's cost is low compared to any quality rifle in the other popular calibers. And if you know how to check a gun out for wear and damage a pawn shop can give you a great deal on one of these sometimes. But be careful, you can get ripped off pretty darn bad if you don't know what you're looking for. Hope this and all the other info here has helped. Think about how you're going to be hunting and buy what you need to get the job done. That's the best advise you can get from any of us.

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I am going to get a Marlin 336c because i can put a scope on it. I live in the northeast corner of oklahoma. Lots of very small farms (usually 5 acres or less) and lots of wooded areas. Haven't heard of anyone here taking a deer more than about 70 yards out and that is a reach around here. Maybe someone could suggest a better cal. rifle too use also.

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    the 30-30 will work fine at those ranges. you can put a scope on just about any rifle made. i would say ALL but who knows... maybe is one out there ive not seen. :)

hunting woody brush at 100 yds and in there is a better choice than the 30-30.
    this is strictly my opinion and im sure others here can both validate and contradict it. might i suggest a .444 marlin? it too is a "100 yard gun", a smaller sized levergun similar in style to just about every 30-30 ive seen with one important difference. its a larger heavier bullet that has a well earned reputation as a brush gun. grass, leaves, tiny twigs etc etc wont really affect the bullet path whereas the 30 cal will fall victim to anything in its path. its got more knock-down power and will easily handle anything youre likely to shoot at. not to mention that where whitetails are concerned ive never had to use a "finishing shot" with a .444, the same i can not say for a 30-30.