30-06 help

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, May 27, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    the other day i got offered a great price on a remington 30-06 pump and i have been in the market for a rifle because i am goin on a hunting trip in PA this winter so if any one has any info on these gun pros/cons or what they were disigned for it would be a great help to me....thanks all

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    IN the 1950s I shot a Remington 30.06 pump. was not so good on paper , But it shot well enough to do in a lot of coyotes. as I remember it shot about 1.5 groups at 100 yards

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Scott;
    I'd love to help you with your decision but I need to know a lot more information than your providing in order to give you VALID information in return.
    If you want to either shoot me a PM, or here in open forum {your choice:wink:} I will be happy to help you out to the best of my abilities. While I don't know everything there is to know about Firearms, I do have some small knowledge that might help you out.
    Oh, I wouldn't listen too much to that "Dafin" fellow, this COYOTE shoots BACK and starts out past 1000 yards on targets the size of a soda can. A big human like him, I could probably take out ohhhh, ... at least 2000 yards away, maybe more, providing the wind is nothing more than a "Gentle Texas Breeze". }:)> VWEG/Very Wicked Evil Grin.
    Actually, I'm sure that Brother Finny has changed his ways in the past few years so he is talking about something that happened in the 20th Century in which case I can't hold that against him. :wink::big_smile::smile2: LOL And if I did not pick on him once in a while he would think I was either mad at him or back in the hospital again too!:smile2:
    Let me know some details either way, in Private or in Public, I'll do my best to help ya out. :wink::big_smile:

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear New Brother Scott;
    First of all, :big_smile:"Welcome to the BOC":big_smile: I think you will find you have made a life changing decision for the better that will affect you life in positive ways that you have not even thought of or dreamed of just yet!:wink:
    Second, I would be GLAD to help you out but in order to give you the best professional advice I need a lot more information than what your giving us to work with!!
    If you want to either post in public, or shoot me a PM/Private Message, giving me more details I'll be glad to give you my best effort in helping you out. If your not sure what questions I am talking about or if you need some references, then shoot me a PM and I will give ya both. :wink:
    Don't listen too much to that "dafin" fellow. THIS Coyote shoots back and on targets the size of a soda can I start at 1000 yards or so. Given "dafin's" size, I should be able to extend that range quite a bit as long as we are not talking winds that are more than a "Gentle Texas Breeze"!:wink:
    Now, TRUTHFULLY, if I did not pick on Brother Finney a bit, then Dale would think I was either mad at him or was back in the hospital again! Neither of which is true at the time of this posting!
    So, choose public or private but give me or US Brother's and Sister's more information to go on because a caliber and action alone is not really enough information to go on in helping you choose a Firearm!! Not if you want GOOD Professional advice or just GOOD advice. :wink::big_smile:
    Again, :big_smile:"WELCOME TO THE BOC":big_smile:
    I will be looking forward to hearing from you as I am sure the other Brother's and Sister's will too!
    Sincerely, and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Scott , you should have good luck with the remington pump 30-06. there is a vast array of ammunition choices for the 30-06. i have only traveled thru pa on the interstates but have seen hundreds of whitetails there. the 30-06 will devstate whitetail . as a matter of fact if you choose the wrong ammo it will severly overkill white tail. around here in southwest mo /nw arkansas you can pick up a clean used remington pump for around 225 dollars in the off season. i agree with Dafin when it comes to accuracy. the reminton pump will not shot as good as a good bolt action but it will do a good job killing whitetail,mule deer, antelope and elk. effective range should be anything over 100 yds out to 500 with a good scope and some range time. the other thing i will throw out there is if shooting distance is less than 100 yds and bullets are big (180 grains +) be prepaird for messy kills . i have seen things like whole shoulders shot off and exit wounds the size of soccer balls at close range with bigger bullets.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't know what model number you are lookin at, but I have a 7600 that I think is pretty good. Brand new it was a little over 400 I think. Synthetic stock. I don't much care for the iron sights but they do work. My hunting partner has a 7600 carbine 30.06 and also a 270 pump, I use a 308. I like it cause I have an 870 pump shotgun also, but I shoot a bolt pretty quick too. One thing about a pump ya won't waste ammo like in an automatic. I don't know what price ya got on it but if ya can afford it and like a pump model you should be happy with it.

7. wildlife

wildlife New Member

State:
    SW PA
    The Remington Pump Rifle is a PA favorite. A lot of hunters choose it because they are used to their pump shotguns and they are able to cycle its action faster than a bolt gun. This makes it a popular choice for quick follow up shots often encountered on man drives, which are popular in PA.

One thing to remember about pump rifles, if you are going to use reloaded ammo in it make sure it has been full length resized. I personally prefer to use a small base full length resizing die. Doing this will ensure that the ammo will feed properly and not jam at worst possible moment.

When choosing ammo for the 30-06 make sure that it is designed for thin skinned game. A bullet designed for elk will do nothing but lose you game because the bullet was unable to do its job. Choose a quality bullet around 150 or 165 grains. The Nosler Accubond bullets and the Barnes Triple Shock bullets are excellent bullets and are available as loaded ammo or components. They are accurate bullets and perform at a wide variety of ranges. They are also designed so they can properly perform at short ranges, as well as long ranges, allowing for clean kills.

That gun and caliber combo is a great choice for PA, and other areas for that matter. No all you need to do is decide if the gun is worth the price the seller is asking.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've had two...a 7600 which shot honest 1" groups with factory ammo (I have no explanation for this!), and a 760, which shoots okay, but not great. Both were/are .30-06 carbines.

I love these guns, and my only real complaint is, they're NOISEY! The slides rattle, and there's not much you can do to eliminate that.

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brothers;
    I have NO idea why this thing DOUBLE POSTED!! I guess I am going to have to get ahold of Whistler or fill out a trouble ticket and find out what is going on!!!:angry:
    I apologize for the inconvenience! For some reason this site is really SLOW to my commands!! I'll have to see if I am the only one having this trouble!
    Again, APOLOGIES for the inconvenience.
    Sincerely and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think everyone here nailed it. Ive only shot a bolt action 30/06 and have only needed one shot, and rarely over a 100 yards. Those lshots seem to be more for blowing up water bottles, alot of fun. Ive always heard bolt actions are more accurate than pumps or semi autos so that may be something to keep in mind, but I doubt the difference would matter much in hunting. Hunting maybe a lil different here in KY than other places with drives, though I have seen it done.

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess I have missed the total point on the whole post so I am going to back out and see where I can help out on perhaps some other posts.
    Right now the wife is off for the next two days and we are going to spend some QUIET, QUALITY, Non-Computer time so it will be the weekend before I get back on if that early.
    I will the young new member well on his purchase of a pump .30-06 and hope it's in GOOD, SAFE, working order and is ACCURATE too. I guess these values were not needed which was I was hoping he would pay attention too but I see it's not necessary or desired with this question.
    Best Wishes.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[Final Post on this Thread, subscription will be deleted immediately]]]]]

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think they are great for those use to shooting a pump shotgun and have a good reputation with the rest as a rule.Hunting rifles are not target rifles and the best shots are not always the best hunters.Nothing will kill a Deer deader and I know of none that will kill it better.If the gun is "Right" mechanically including the sights,it will do it's job.

30-06 and 30-30 have been the two most readily available and cheapest center fire rifle ammo in my 50 years of buying ammo.life span.

Now in the .311 British,Japanese and Russian rounds,300 Weatherby,30-06,308,30-30,7mm mag.7mm mauser,and 6.5 Swede,I found the heavier slower bullets to tear up less meat as a rule.There are very many types of bullets that can alter this out there.I loved hunting the military rifles and believe all of the man hunting round sizes and rifles make great Deer hunters when using expanding bullets.I also believe them to have taken more game world wide from Elephant on down with military bullets simply because that was what the folks had to use!One famous Ivory hunter often used the 7 mm Mauser I believe.Was a complete lack of fear or just plain guts his mainstay?

Mushrooming bullets are forced on all because many can not hit where they should shoot but insist on hunting.It is too much trouble to learn to do it right.Everyone knows that solids damage less meat and are used to take Elephant,Rhino and Cape Buffalo head on to all angles with clean kills.Shame,but as usual,all are penalized by the few who will not do right by the game or their fellow hunters.Small fur bearers are hunted regularly with solids to keep from ruining the pelt.Think about it!

And yes,these kind of hunters will disagree with me on this.The rest have no reason to argue it as they can kill cleanly with any type bullet with proper placement.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    as long as you can put the bullet in the right spot, the .30-06 will do its job every time. all you have to do is find your rifle's favorite food. mine shoots sierra pro hunters and win sp's very accurately. i shoot 165 grain bullets. that will do the job from elk on down, and certainly on whitetails. i do a lot of mule deer hunting, and the shots can be a lot longer and they are tougher than wt's.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's not much to add to the good advise already given on here. The pump 30-06 will be a great choice especially if you're getting it for a steal of a price. It will probably not win any benchrest competitions, but will be accurate enough for woods hunting. As long as it will shoot 1.5 inches or better at 100 yards and your shots are not much over that, then it will be OK. If you're already used to a pump action shotgun, and even better yet, used to a remington 870, then the familiarity with that will make it easier to acclumate yourself to the new rifle.

I've actually seen some of these rifles that had surprisingly good triggers and would shoot inside 1 inch at 100 yards with the right ammo. The trick is to just try different loads until you find the one that it likes.

15. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Caliber has little to do with killing ability of a bullet. I have seem WAY TO MANY 100-120lb Florida Deer get lost with people shooting 30-30's, 30/06, 300 win mag and 7mm mags than I would EVER car to remember.
    The ability to place the shot is MUCH MUCH more important. I also know several people that use a 223 for deer in several northern states and do not pull the trigger without bringing home a deer. The 250 savage was considered a great elk gun when it came out and now almost all gun mfg's do not recommend the 30/06 for elk with any bullet. The reason is the time with the gun. When the 250 came out people spent MUCM more time in the field and were better shots.
    For a newer rifle or someone new to shooting a rifle a 200yd shot is a LONG LONG shot and would in most cases be considered the maximum distance of a shot.
    I use a 25/06 and have taken coyotes at a little over 500 yds and deer out to 400. I have also shot 1000yd targets with my hand loads with 2-14 inch 5 shot groups and a 7 inch 5 shot group from hand loads in my loads in my Model 99.
    I can't wait for a 1 mile kill that I am going for later this year with the 99 if all goes well.