3-way swivels ... cross line barrel vs triple swivels ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by JeffB1961, May 20, 2020.

1. JeffB1961

JeffB1961 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    first post here , been lurking for a few years though . i've recently put together a setup for larger fish , i'll be using a 9 ft. ugly stik GX2 with a diawa BG5000 spinning reel and i put big game solar 25lb. on it . i've got some no roll sinkers and i've got some gamakatsu off set circle hooks in #2 , #5 , and #8 size . i live in Tazewell Va in the beautiful Appalachian mountains and there's mostly small lakes and rivers here . but i'm from Richmond Va and we go there every few months for dr. appts and to spend a few days with my sisters and a few old friends . and the mighty james river flows through richmond ......

anyhow ..... are Dr. Fish swivels decent ? i'm looking at their saltwater rolling black stainless #3 2 way . i'm also looking at some 3-way swivels . i was wondering what the pros and cons of cross line barrel vs triple swivels are ? i'm rounding up what i (might) need for cats and shore fishing from one of my sisters home on the Chesapeake bay . i'm also gonna order some of the unclesport rubber luminous beads i saw in a thread here that got great comments , gonna go with 12mm .

soooo , what the deal on the different 3-way swivels ? does either swivel any easier or cause less line tangling ? is either a stronger design than the other given reasonably similar size ? or should i be fine with either as long as i stay north of 100 lbs. on their rating ?

thanks and take care folks , Jeff

ramon06 likes this.
  2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    Both of your choices are good for the James. I use both. Neither gets many tangles as long as you keep the spinning type. The standard 3-ways can tangle in current especially if you use live bait. Like you stated just stay above 100lbs to be safe. I go as high as I can. Dale's tackle has the (165lbs)swivels in 20pks for $7.99 and (165lbs) 3-ways in 20packs for $6.99

https://www.dalestackle.com/terminal-tackle 20191106_083306.jpeg

3. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Jeff, I have use the swivel in a swivel and to old original three way swivel. I actually like the old three way better. I seen to get more tandles with the swivel in swivel ones. That may be because old guys like old things. Not sure since they will both do the job.

Either will have a good chance of rotating in the air when you cast it which can cause a tangle and current can as well.

I am a little curious about your sizes. Any I get have a "/0" after the number. I tend to get 3/0 sizes. Old fingers don't work well with little things. I guess it is not that important as long as the breaking strength is 100# or more.

Your fishing a good area. good luck

JeffB1961 and ramon06 like this.
  4. JeffB1961

JeffB1961 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    thanks folks . ordered the "
    Dr.Fish 30 Pack Stainless Steel Fishing 3-Way Swivels, 35-175LB, Cross Line Barrel Swivels T-Turn " the unclesport 12mm " 200pcs/pack Soft Rubber Fishing Beads " and to get free S&H i added the " Cuda 2-Pack 10.25" Universal Lanyards "

ramon06 likes this.
  5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    Nice pickups. Be sure to do a report so we can see how your equipment worked out.

JeffB1961 likes this.
  6. JeffB1961

JeffB1961 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    thanks . i will . there's cats up here , but i'd bet good money nothing like what the james can produce ..... but ya never know . there are big carp up here in Lake Witten . i see 3 footers cruising the shallows every time i go , but i'm told 40+ pounders get caught every now and then . there's other lakes and rivers up here also but no rivers with the depth of the james . the New River looks to have potential though .

anyhow , thanks again . jeff

ramon06 and Nuclear Bill like this.
  7. JeffB1961

JeffB1961 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    got my swivels and glow in the dark rubber beads from dr. fish today and they look fine . took the beads in the walk in closet and they glow nicely . so i'm happy with dr. fish .
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VXVTZZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085VW4PWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

got a refund from amazon on some no roll sinkers from garrett i ordered on the 5th of may that were supposedly shipped 3 days later , but the tracking # only ever showed the ticked being setup but never anything received by USPS from garrett to ship . garrett will never get business from me again .
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OKHTLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nuclear Bill likes this.