3-way Swivel Rig

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by tnkatman, May 4, 2006.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Can Someone Tell Me How You Rig Your 3-way Rigs For River Fishing ? How Long Do You Make Your Leaders For The Sinker And The Hook ? What Kind Of Hooks Do You Use With This Rig ? Will Circles Work ? What Size Sinker Do You Use ? Will This Rig Work For Keeping Your Bait Off The Bottom And Getting Hung Up ? Thanks For All Input.

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Tri swivels are made mostly to be use for keeping you bait off the bottom. The side goes to the bait which can be what ever lenth you desire. In still water it should be less than the distance from the bottom of the swivel to the lead. The top of the swivel goes to the mainline (rod). In rivers with current which is called a plunking rig can have a longer leader because the current help keep the bait off the bottom. This rig is good for getting stricks but maybe not as good as keeping the fish as interested as the sliding sinker rig because the fish will feel the lead when it pulls on the bait. I think if you are close to your pole and get a strike you should have neddle sharp hooks and set the hook fast on a good pull.

The sliding sinker rig is great because you can let the fish play with it and run a bit without it lifting the lead. Another rig I've seen but not yet tried is a triswivel after the sliding sinker with a float at the end so the bait fish fight the bobber to get to the bottom and still when the fish takes the bait and runs it still not lifting the lead because of the slider.
    That rig would line up like this: Sliding sinker....bead....streight swivel....14'' leader....triswiver....side of tri goes to bait fish....bottom of tri is 3'of leader....then bobber. One other suggestion might be at the tri spot maybe a light spreader bar which work like a tri but keep line from tangles.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    This is ver interesting cause I just bought some 3-way swivels and was gonna try something like that but I wassn't exactally sure how it was done. I like to use mostly "in-line" type weights (slip sinkers, bullet weights) and was wondering how to put it all together. I think I'll try that way you described. I like the line spreader idea also bu I don't like alot of "hardware" on my line. We'll se. Thank you very much for the info!

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These are the rigs that I most commonly use.

5. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    TNKATMAN,You can make your leaders how ever long you want to but, on your sinker, the longer you make your leader the more chance you have for both leaders getting wrapped together and it's easier to throw with a short leader on your sinker. I usually make mine 6" and my hook leader 12"-18". I use 8/0 and 10/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks and yes circles will work. You can also put a float in between your swivel and hook if you want to make sure your bait is off the bottom. As far as what size weights I use, it depends on the current. What ever it takes to keep your bait where you want it and you are going to get hung up sometimes no matter what rig you use, if your fishing the right spots...

6. hunter_x

hunter_x New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Amen to that brother! I spent aa fortune on lead every year. But its well worth it.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I tried your advice and it seemed to do two things: 1st I gained more distance (which at my spot that is a plus) 2nd: No tangles and caught more cats! Thank you very much! See it's the little things that count!

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    To help keep your leaders from wrapping, try using a diff size line for the weight leader.... like a 30# hook leader and a 12# weight leader..