3 Way Swivel question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by autogyroenthusiast, May 20, 2009.

1. autogyroenthusiast

autogyroenthusiast New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Going to try to use one this weekend. Dumb question: How do you keep the sinker line and the live bait line from getting tangled/wrapped up when casting? Do you just let them hang and throw out and hope for the best? Thanks

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i make my weight leader twice as long as bait leader. the swivel does the rest.

3. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    That is pretty much the trick. You have to work with your leaders to get the best results from your given need.

I usually place a swivel clip on the third eye and attach the sinker to that swivel.

For a better casting rig, place the lead on the long (dropper) leader and the bait on a short (4"-6") leader. It always helps keep tangles at bay if you have your lead leading and the bait trailing since it will go that way during the cast anyway. If your lead has to pass the bait during the cast you stand to experience more tangles.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats how I do it also. I also use a 10-15# test leader for the sacrifice weight with a 30-40# main line & hook line.. You'll get some tangle sometimes but usually not bad enough to effect much.

5. autogyroenthusiast

autogyroenthusiast New Member

State:
    Ohio
  6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    your very welcome,
    Hopefully there are some ideas here that you will find useful.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    MAN ITS ALL I USE ITS SIMPLE GET A THREEWAY SWIVEL ,BIG ONE, MAKE A DROP 2 TO 4 FOOT, THEN A LEADER WITH A SNELLED HOOK 10 INCHES, IT WONT TANGLE, EVER, ITS VERY SIMPLE JUST TAKES MORE TIME, BUT ITS BEATS A CARALINA BY FAR, UNLES YOUR IN HEVY WOOD COVER, MAKE THAT WEGHT DROP WITH LIGHTER TEST MAN, TRUST ME YOU WONT GET TANGELD VERY OFTEN

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    here's another idea...use leader material for your hooks it's stiffer than mono and will generally stand straight out or at an angle. if you can't find that try using snelled hooks since they'retied with leader material

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, That's a real effective rig in current!!
    Keeps the bait off the bottom, for a better bait presentation IMO

In a lake or calmer water, I like to use a Float..

10. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    I'm wondering - maybe a stupid suggestion here, but could you use a drinking straw slid up one of the lines to keep them apart as they sail through the air on the cast? I usually fish with a modified carolina rig set up, though so don't try this and wrap it around your head and come cryin' to me! I've warned you I'm just throwin' that out there and you shouldn't take my advice!

I just flamed my own post, there a bit. oh well. :)

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I tried a 3-way this past fishing trip for the first time and I'd have to say it works way better for blues than the carolina rig because they seem to not feed on the bottom as much as channels do. The problem with tangling comes from your bait spinning in the current. If you use bait fish cut the fins off and it won't spin nearly as much. I used 10 pound line for the weight leader so when I got snagged I only lost my weight.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I agree with the rest and Welcome to the B.O.C. Brian.You can learn a lot in here.Enjoy the ride.

13. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Not a stupid question at all, many types of boom rigs are tied this way. Use coffee stirrers instead of drinking straws. They are a little stiffer and yet more compact.