3 way rig

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_hunter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    just curious how long you guy do your 3 ways?? make the hook leader longer and the weight shorter or vise versa.....

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I like to make the sinker leader longer, i seem to have more fish when I do this, but I normally only use the three way rig in the spring when the current is stronger.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do about 18" of lead line for the weight and 6" of lead line for the hook..

4. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    you guys use a 3 way swivel??? i have been doing a sliding 3 way with a snap swivel on the lead line and about 6 inches long.. also tried it the other way around.. it seems when i make the lead line longer than the leader it gets wraped and tangled around the leader on the hook

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes I use a 3-way swivel..

6. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    i use 3way swivels missouri river a short lead line and long leader line, rocky lakes longer lead line with light mono and short leader line.
    The river is mucky semi rocky to me the bait sittin closer to the bottom makes sense to me and the rocky lakes the longer lead line will keep the bait up off the rocks some wut but i could be wrong but i like doing it my way and i will cont even if i dont catch fish :wink: :roll_eyes: i lose less gear saveing $$$ is as good as catching fish in my book lol.

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use a 3-way swivel with about an 8" (100 lb test) hook leader and 13" (30 pound test) weight leader.

8. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    want to add i use a very small bobber hooked on the main line swviel on the 3way when at the lake sometimes to help keep the bait up off the rocks. I like to be differnt and try differnt things :smile2:

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I just use two normal swivels like you do. 3 way swivels are junk for heavy line. And they aren't even needed. When you're using two regular swivels, it's called a fish finder rig. Very popular. Google it.

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Im with you on this Jason.... usually I use a sinker slide or a carolina rig type thing.... occasionally I use the 3-way... and the leader is a sacraifcial leader line that allows me to pull in the rig with the fish on...

On the Colorado river, fishing for flats, I need to think of the current and get the bait (gill) off the bottom and do the 3 way rather than the siinker slide and a long leader off of that.... Might keep the rig free from the grass problem that we get below our wier or dam...

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I use SPRO 3-way swivels. Approx 12-18" sinker line, and 18-24" hook line. We have pretty strong current and I use big baits which all help to keep the rig "standing" up so to speak and keeping the bait slightly off the bottom which is what I use 3-ways for.

It paid big dividends for me and some guys I know this past spring. The presentation from a 3-way is more appealing to big fish here than a standard carolina rig in many situations.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009