3 way rig

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by rdwolf03, Jul 19, 2009.

1. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've been messing with a 3 way rig for live bait with some good results,but every so often the thing get's all tangled up .ATfirst i thought the current might have been the trouble. It has done it in no current.I have a 4 oz. sinker on a 3 to 6 inch. drop and hook leader is any were from 18 to 24in. long with a 2.5 in. float in the middle.It's all mono leader line and main line is braid.Any thoughts would be helpful.Also it has happend with a 3in. blue gil and 8in. shad so the size does not matter. thanks

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    go with light sinker line like 14 or 17 lb test mono and your leader with like 40 to 60lb mono. see how that works for ya ... now if you get snagged you will almost definitely lose your sinker.

3. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    first off welcome to the boc doug second i never used a 3 way rig in the river all i used is a carolina rig or now trying where i just use a sinker bead a small piece of aquarium hose and let it hit the knot

4. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i'm not talking about getting snaged . the hook leader is getting twisted around the main line . i'm using 15# dropline and 50# hook leader.

5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    yes also try that barrel swivle tie your main line and drop line in same loop and your lead on the other loop also i would go like 10 to 12# on drop line and cheap line at that that may work for you

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Try 3-way barrel swivles if your not already!

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I agree! I've used a 3-way swivel and never had a problem with it!

8. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i know what u are talking about and i have had the same problem. what i find that works is to use a 3 way swivel and use a barrel swivel in between the lead ine and bait. sounds like alot of work but thats what john jamison does. if you go to youtube and pull up his video where he is fishing a tourny in henderson ky he shows how he rigs and thats what he does

9. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks guys i am using a 3 way swivel i have use a carilina rig for ever just playing with something eles.i will try a barrel swivel in my leader line.i like the acton of the bait on a 3 way step . sorry i cant post pic right know there somethng wrong with my photo bucket account i need to get with them and get fixed

10. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use a slide drop about 10" long,The weight slides on a swivel up the line with a bead between the hook swivel and the lead swivel