3 way rig and bites

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jun 16, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was thinking if a threeway rig would make a cat not run as much , since its got to caryy that weght with it, anybody test that, a carolina they woldent feel tention wen running but some say they dont care as long as the weghts not huge, i thoght i might make you think on that one, i never use the carolina rig, becouse i just got so used to the 3 way rig but im going back to the carolina i think for a while

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If you're gonna do that,, use,,, circle hooks..:wink:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol you know how i feel about circal hooks,lol i hate gammas, but i got some team circals

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i just don't use a 3 way rig cause i'd think my bait would tangle easier with my weight, and with the slidin sinker the catty's doesn't feel the tension of the weight, i use a bread tie on my no-roll sinkers to attach them to the sinker slide(snap swivel) that way if my sinker gets snagged the bread tie breaks free and i don't lose my complete rig

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Gotta go with Lenny on this one.I get hung up enough,the less connections down there,the better.That,s why I go with a sliding rig and SHORT leaders.:wink:

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I rig with a modified Paternoster,,,usually line tied directly to the hook,,, above that 12-18", I use 2 pinch weights,, one on top of the other,,, on the mono line,,just enough not to slide very easy,then above that I have premade weights 3-6 oz., tied with 10-15# mono to a snap swivel,, I snap the swivel onto the line above the little weights,,
    In the river I fish,,most of the time,, the weight settles onto the bottom, and the bait (live or cut) is downstream from the weight line,, just ,,, "Hanging out".about the heights above the bottom that the weight line measures...12-24" the current keeps the lines from getting tangled up,, occassionally, it will, but, it works mostly. Keeps the swimmers out of the rocks, and grass..
    When a fish takes the bait, the mainliine pays out through the swivel, and ignites the clicker!!! If the weight has become snagged , it's easy to break off with the light "sacrifice" line attached to the weight..
    I've never had any issues with the pinch weights hurting the mono ( 30-50#) as I don't really crush them on,,or any problems from the swivel hurting the line. One thing, is when checking bait, or reeling through grass-seaweed,etc.,, the little weights can slide to the hook, which is something I check continually.
    In lake fishing,,or in slight current the aforementioned rig will get tangled up,,, Floats are a good option, in that situation. If using live bait especially,,,cut works OK also..
    If I rig the weight on the bottom with elevated hook, I use a real light line, to the weight..

I used to take a bunch of rubberbands, and loop them together, and crimp one end over the electrode of a sparkplug and close the gap, then attach the other end to the a swivel and clip that onto the mainline,, that worked pretty well also,, for years..:wink:

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank You Greg. J.D.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You will have minimal problems with the 3 way rig. It rarely tangles and the current should pull your leader tight. As for the cats. Make sure you use the minimum weight required to keep your bait down and you will have no issues with the cats dropping your bait. When fishing 6 poles, I typically have 3 with caralina rig and 3 with the 3 way rig. Have not had issues with fish dropping my bait.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YEA MY ONLY THING ABOUT IT IS IF THE CAT WILL FEEL THE WAEGHT, I DONT WONT THAT,IVE HAD ALOT OF RUNS THAT GET DROPED, O IM GOING CAROLINA,

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if the cat wants your bait it will drag your sinker wereever it wants nomatter how its rigged. the only cats ive seen that care if they feel the weight is the ones that weigh less than your weights DINKS any cat over a couple three pounds will drag a 6oz clear across the river if it wants.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with Brandon on this one. When a big cat takes your bait....the weight isn't gonna stop him. Unless its a small cat. I use 3 way rigs on all my flathead set ups with a lighter sinker lines. :wink:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a 3 way rig and catch most of my cats on a 3 way rig.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A three way rig if tied right keeps your bait off of the bottom. This is it's express purpose. The ledger rig and in line sinker rigs are for fishing on the bottom. You are wasting your time tying a three way rig if you are not tight lining. Also when a big cat feels a sinker pulling it's first reaction is to bolt and run away with the bait thus helping to lodge the hook, not get scared and drop it. You will never have much success if you don't use the different kinds of rigs for there intended purposes. These methods of fishing and presenting baits have been around and fine tuned for hundreds of years. Fishing weights are not just for getting your line far out in the water.:wink:

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Since I only bank fish the river, and need maximum casting distance, I always use a sinker slide rig. The 3 way just has too much stuff going on for me. I also like having the hook tied directly to the leader which is attached directly to the main line. I don't like the idea of the main line being attached to the 3 way, then the hook being attached to the 3 way. Some things I like to keep simple. Good luck.

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    You want a fish finder rig. 3way things are for snag free areas and trolling imo. Only one connection is different but it'll keep you from losing the bite when the sinker's stuck in some rocks.

16. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I always use a triple swivel. 50lb braided from the reel to swivel, and from swivel to the hook, and 20lb mono to my weight in case I need to break free. I agree with some of the earlier posts about big fish not being affected by the weight. Hell, I use 2 and 3oz weights and catch 1-6lb channel cats without any issues. The bigger blues and flatties almost certainly don't care, especially if they're hungry.

Also, I use gama octopus circles. slikk I know you hate em, but by the time the cats even realize there is a weight attached to the bait they just grabbed, my rod is loading up . . . and it's too late. I can't say for sure that triple swivel rigs will be as effective with J hooks. I only post about things I have experience with. So I'll let somebody else comment on that. But with circles, the triple swivel lands fish for me.