3 trips one small flathead!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by nlcatfish, Oct 4, 2017.

1. nlcatfish

nlcatfish Active Member

State:
    Dayton, Ky.
    Three trips ONE BITE, one catfish. September 28th. I finally got out in my boat and launch from Schmidt’s ramp. I had the boat in the water by 08:30. I tried 4 different spots had only one bite at the second spot. A small flat head catfish 23 inches and 5pounds swallowed a chunk of thawed Shad. No action at all at the other spots so called it a day at 12:30. The upriver wind and lack of current did cause me problems keeping the rods facing down river.

Sept 30: I was fishing my second catfish tournament in 11 years. This was local club that had 13 boats entered for the event. I did learn a lot about drift fishing that day. We did not catch anything. We learned at the weigh in a number of other boats were also skunked as well. I was worn out by the time I got home; I am just not used to fishing from 8 a.m. till 3 p.m.

Oct 2nd. I went bank fishing with my brother from 8:30 till 12:30. We had thawed Skipjack, Gizzard Shad and different season chicken breast for bait. Wonderful sunny day, river was in great shape. We had just four light taps but no bites for our efforts. So we packed it in at 12:30 and headed back home. Seems the fishing gods are still against me just can NOT get any action, very depressing. I am just not sure where to take my boat to wet a line.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Norb just be glad you can get out and be on the water.... Hope you can get on some Fish soon.

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    ^^^ What he said!
    Just enjoy being out there and your brother's company. Catching is a bonus but sometimes it seems the harder you want it, the less it happens.

...W

Catpaw likes this.
  4. sjble66

sjble66 Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Markland pool is garbage from the overharvest by the C.F.s. over last couple years around cincy, I have caught fewer and fewer fish, and not 1 over 20 lbs. I have started doing trips, a couple hours drive from cincy, still on Ohio, and have caught more catfish on several days than 3 years combined around cincy, plus several in the 20 lb class. KDFW needs to make the Markland pool have much stricter regs than what in place now, to give a chance to repopulate, as their own data even shows Markland pool as being the worst shape.

Catpaw and metalman like this.
  5. sjble66

sjble66 Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio

Btw, getting boat in river Friday around Anderson ferry area, will post if any luck

Catpaw likes this.
  6. nlcatfish

nlcatfish Active Member

State:
    Dayton, Ky.
    I agree with you 100% about how the C.F. have killed the catfishing around Cincinnati. A 20 pound catfish is now the monster size. I caght only 1 catfish from the boat and 2 from the bank all season! Very frustrating a lot of effort for no action.

Catpaw likes this.
  7. sjble66

sjble66 Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio

I did manage to catch a few Friday, 1 nice shovel in early afternoon about 16 lbs, then long dry spell before getting 3 right at dusk, all smaller fish. Fish turned off when it got dark. I do have trip planned to camp/fish 3 days at end of October, West or louisville, and I have had really good/great fishing there in June and last year, which makes me believe the CFs have not started to infest and overharvest that section of river. I caught more fish in 2 days trip there than previous 2 years combined around cincy, which is a damn shame

Catpaw likes this.
  8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Short-comings are part of the experience, without it, we wouldnt learn from it. Any day out on the river is a good day.

Catpaw likes this.