3 strikes and im OUT!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just spent the 3 rd trip down at the river trying to get the boat running, ( see 35 hp 76 Johnson Probs post below)
    First time was major leaks in the bottom , 2nd try was sputtering, no power , hard to get into gear with out stalling, and this morning was trying again after pulling feul filter, plugs and carb overhaul. I put in new gas and she started right up, then stalled, then started up about 20 times after that and kept stalling, unless I kep hitting the electric choke, then it would rev back up then stall. so I kept fiddling with it until I ran a 75% batery down, and the last 50 tries to start would turn over but not fire,( Thanks to Pendog who sat patiently waiting to fish whil ethis happened) Man Im getting pissed with this thing so I might mention half the time the starter wouldnt engage so there is some sort of short there as well. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
    Anyways, after 3 tries ( dink I appreciate all your effort) Im gonna drop er off tomorrow morning at a shop Riverking told me about, ( 75 miles away) so since the local shop treated me like an idiot ( which isnt necesarily out of line:roll_eyes: ) I figure a well recommended guy should be worth the effort.

Ill update in another week or so when I get the "damage report"!!

Salmonid , the guy who would rather have no luck then bad luck....

2. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds a little like a problem I had last year. Start, run, stall and wouldn't start. Fiddle around a bit and it would do it all again. What I found was a bad fuel connection on the top of the tank. The connector that the fuel line hooks to. Put a new one on and haven't had any trouble since. There was something in it that would stop the gas flow whenever it felt like or let it flow. Very frustrating. Always the worse when my wife was in the boat.:roll_eyes:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, I'm very sorry to hear that, I know how bad it sucks, you know why? Because the same exact thing is happening to mine right now, 35hp Mercury, it is doing the same exact thing as yours is. I'm taking it Monday, and just HOPE it can be fixed without too many complications.

Good luck with yours.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that really sucks! it does seem to have a problem getting fuel though, it just isnt the carb from what i could see, all the jets were clear:confused2:. i was just thinking it may be a bad fuel pump, loose connections, or something else. im going to check and see if my fuel pump from my 25hp johnson will fit it, maybe we can swap it out and give it a try.

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Sorry to hear about your motor problems but it sounds like a familial story to me. Put a rebuilt motor on my boat this year and have had nothing but trouble with it, it just will not run right. Right now seems I have so much tied up in the old boat and I am going to have to take it for a loss. Am just about ready to go out and buy a new one.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Mark I am very sorry to hear that. It is no fun when you want to go fish and have issues like this. I hope you can get it figured out soon and fixed. Good luck, wish I knew more about em I would come out there and fix ya up.

7. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Nothings worse than stuff like that slowing ya down. I agree with your friend....drop that boat off to someone who does it everyday.... pay em and get back to fishin asap! good luck.

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, that sucks to hear man. I have wanted a boat for a while. I would get really pissed as well if it was just sitting in my yard teasing me all the time.

9. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Nothing worse than the anticipation of fishing only to have it ruined by boat problems. It is probably something simple. Best of luck, hopefully you will have it and yourself back on the ater soon.

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Mark,
    I fought that same problem for the last half of one summer the first half of another before finally getting it figured out with help from Jesse. Anyway, my problem was the carb and yes I did rebuild it and it was still my problem. The needle valve seat was bad and I didn't know it, and I had also left out the seal betweent he bowl and the suction tube inside the carb. There is a round rubber looking washer with pettles on the inside that goes between the carb bowl and the carb body on the pick-up tube. If that thing isn't there it wont run. The needle valve or rich lean adjustment has a plastic seat inside the carb. To remove it, bend a little hook on the end of a small piece of wire and insert the wire into the needle vlave hole and pull. In the kit there is a clear/white little funnel looking piece. that is your new seat. If air leaks around the needle valve it won't run either. As a matter of fact, it will act exactly like yours. Let me guess, if you choke it and keep it choked it will run about 1/2 throttle or maybe a little better.

11. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If the motor stalls as soon as you put it into gear, check the compression.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I had the same thing a few years ago I took it to the shop when i got it out same I took the fuel hose of and blowed hard as I could with my mouth you would!belive all the junk that came out I belive Iwould try it might save you some money:big_smile:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, I hate to hear that..Boat ownership can be expensive.

14. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I understand your frustration too. There comes a point where you're sick and tired of messing with something and you just need to have it fixed by a pro. Or something is gonna get broke!!! Hopefully it won't set you back too much. Good luck with it.